• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Baseball Tryouts Oct. 8

Brad

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Courtesy USF

USF Baseball Tryouts Oct. 8

TAMPA, Fla. – University of South Florida head coach Lelo Prado will hold tryouts for the Bulls baseball team on Monday, Oct. 8 at 6 p.m. at Red McEwen Field. 

To attend the tryout, players must be enrolled as a full-time student at USF. Each applicant must also receive a physical examination (approved by USF Sports Medicine), prior to participating. Information packets with required paperwork may be picked up from Coach Lazer Collazo in the baseball office, located in the Intercollegiate Athletics Building. The deadline to sign up and submit completed forms is Friday, Oct. 5.

For further questions, contact Coach Collazo at lcollazo@admin.usf.edu or 813-974-2507.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  2,523
  • Days Won:  0

USF is having an open tryout?  Man, this program must've been hammered in terms of folks leaving.  It almost makes me want to reenroll and come back to use up my elgibility...

• Content Count:  827

USF is having an open tryout?  Man, this program must've been hammered in terms of folks leaving.  It almost makes me want to reenroll and come back to use up my elgibility...

I think it is mandatory. Formality. And what does it hurt if you get one athlete out of it.

• Content Count:  695

I'm tempted to try out but the furthest I went is little league, and I have no idea what position I could play maybe outfield because I got a strong arm and am fast. I doubt i'll end up doing it though, i'm sure he's got enough scholarship guys and this is probably just a formality

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

I'm tempted to try out but the furthest I went is little league, and I have no idea what position I could play maybe outfield because I got a strong arm and am fast. I doubt i'll end up doing it though, i'm sure he's got enough scholarship guys and this is probably just a formality

Don't bother.  If you only went thru to Little League, its a waste of time on your part, and the coaches part. 

By the way, I think every school offers 'Open Tryouts', so I don't think its a measure of the depth of the team. 

• Content Count:  743

The open tryouts started last year under the new coach.  Cardieri never had open tryouts just invited some players to tryout.

• Content Count:  158

postmortem is right, they weren't in place before last year.

JoeB, let's try and stay positive instead of discouraging here. There were more than a few weak players there last year, but it was a great experience overall. How many people can say they put in the effort to try out for a Division-1 baseball team?

With regards, to the team, they are carrying a nearly 40 man roster already, so you would need to beat out quite a few people to get a look. They only keep people around after the first day that have the potential to beat out what they already have on the roster. They are carrying 19 pitchers at the moment, according to the online roster page.

They lost quite a few people from last year (yours truly, included), but I don't necessarily know if that's a detractor from what they have this year. I believe Prado, Lazer, and Bryant have their work cut out for them, but things look like they're improving on the whole.

I still keep in touch with the coaches, and I'm thinking about going out for the tryout for S&G's... sometimes you miss the field more than you thought you would...

With all due respect Wags, if one never played in HS, then I woulnd't expect them to be able to compete at this level.  Especially if you haven't played organized ball since they were 12 (no leading off, 90 ft bases, curve balls, etc) .  The odds are probably a million to one to make the squad.  But if you like those odds, don't let me stop you....   

• Content Count:  158

No doubt there.

With the same due respect, I never expected to even get a serious look from tryouts last year, let alone make the team.

Dream big?

Touche........but I'm guessing you played HS ball.  I remember the kids that played Little League and stopped after that.  There is a reason  they stop playing baseball.........

Archived