• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

SHT's Dell on CJL: "Jackson Likely to Return Punts"

Brad

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

tanbg-navytab.gif

Jackson likely to return punts again

Though he had a very disappointing night, it looks as if Amarri Jackson will hold onto his punt return job, at least for Saturday night's game at Auburn. The Riverview High grad dropped two passes and a punt, but seemed to have the support of Leavitt on Tuesday.

"Amarri dropped some punts and passes and that is not typical of Amarri," Leavitt said. "I think you are going to find him come out and be a lot more focused and play better. Jessie Hester dropped one, which is not normal. Jessie is pretty good with his hands."

Jackson was down in the dumps after the game, but got a visit in his dorms from Mike Canales, the Bulls receivers and punt return coach. It lifted his spirits.

"Coach Canales knew that wasn't me. We sat and talked," Jackson said. "On the dropped punt, I lost focus. I looked up the field and started to run before I caught the ball. Same thing happened with the two passes I dropped. I've got to look at the ball in before I run."

Link

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Catch first, then run.... it seems such a simple concept, yet our receivers don't seem to watch the ball into their hands.  Hopefully this works as a wakeup call.

Everybody WR/KR does this from time to time... our guys just did it a lot during the Elon game.

My guess is that Canales has shaken things up this week and the guys are practicing with some kind of catch-then-run drills.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

Well, keep in mind that the WONDERFUL Raymond James Stadium staff don't cover the field in case of rain. The field was pretty wet for the game, and even the kicker slipped. I would imagine that might have a bit to do with some of the ball-dropping. If I'd been the kicker, I would have rubbed the ball in the wet before kicking it so the kick returner would have that much more chance of having trouble holding on to it...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

Well, keep in mind that the WONDERFUL Raymond James Stadium staff don't cover the field in case of rain. The field was pretty wet for the game, and even the kicker slipped. I would imagine that might have a bit to do with some of the ball-dropping. If I'd been the kicker, I would have rubbed the ball in the wet before kicking it so the kick returner would have that much more chance of having trouble holding on to it...

Football fields are rarely covered due to rain, I believe .... and wet should not be an excuse, anyway. Most of the receivers wear gloves .... 57 balls were caught.

Denson should be given a shot at PR ...

• Content Count:  919
  • Days Won:  0

It is a mistake to leave Jackson returning punts.  He will fumble, it is a matter of time with the way he holds the ball.  I still say Taurus should be the punt returner.

• Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

the coaches see these guys play a heckuva lot more then we do.  i say, whoever they choose is ok for me.

now, that being said, if amarri has any mistakes against Auburn then its pretty safe to say he wont be back there.  from what ive seen though, amarri has great breakaway speed, size to not be tackled by the first guy to hit him, and vision to see the crease.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Hopefully he got the muffs/fumbles out of his system last week, things like this could be the difference between it being a good game our a blow out.   

I don't see the "breakaway speed" from Amarri.  He is tall, but that isn't an asset on punt or kick returns.

Johnson and Hester are faster from what I have seen.  I just don't see how he could be better than either of those 2... but i'll trust the coaches, for now.

I like Trips idea with Denson.  I hope he has a good game at WR against his old team.

Archived