• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Countdown to Football: Player #1 (FINALLY!!!)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Hey JoeB the USF media guide says that USF's first ever play was on defense.  I think USF kicked off to Kentucky Wesleyan.  Maybe Charlie returned or fair caught the first punt?

Normal

Doesn't the 10 year DVD say that we didn't have a kicking tee, but it wasn't an immediate issue because Ky. Wesleyan was kicking off to us first?

Yep, you are right... it mentions that someone had to run over to the tampa bay mall accross the street to buy a tee.

• Content Count:  1,457
  • Days Won:  0

Great Job Bulliever - it was nice to have these posts to keep the days moving along.  Now that we are ready for 705pm tonight - you can sit back some and relax....enjoying the fruits of your hard work/labor in making these posts happen. 

Bulls destroy Elon tonight at time zero "0" 705pm sharp.

• Content Count:  7,516
  • Days Won:  10

Charlie was the first Bull to ever touch the ball in a real football game.  He fielded the opening kickoff against Kentucky Wesleyan of the opening game. 

sorry for the double post, but this had to be said twice!!

go Bulls!

If you've seen that picture of USF's very first play (as it is shown on page 144 of this year's media guide), it is captioned that the very first play in USF history was us on defense.  However, on that same page, it says that we lost that first coin toss and that KY Wesleyan deferred.

I seem to remember us getting the ball first, so that picture would be mis-captioned.  Can anyone confirm this?

• Content Count:  1,479
  • Days Won:  0

Charlie Jackson was probably my favorite player of the early teams. I remember telling him one time at Fan Appreciation Day that he was going to be a 1st round pick and replace Jacquez Green for the Bucs. (I was 12 okay lol)

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

I've watched the 10 year DVD about 5 times in the past month.  The narrator says, so and so from Kentucky Wesleyan becomes the first ever player to touch the ball in a USF football game.  He's referring to the kicker of course.  So Charlie would be the first Bull to touch the ball.

Media guide must be wrong.  Maybe Ky Wesleyan kicked off in good faith, since we were waiting for a tee. 

• Content Count:  624

At the USF scrimmage held at Sarasota High in 1996 (remember scrimmages only no real games yet) Charlie stood out and became my favorite.

That also brings to mind meeting Leroy Selmon for the first time at the pregame alumni dinner.

• Content Count:  3,307

I think they had to go to the Sports Authority on Hillsborough for a kicking tee. Whatever sporting goods stores were left in Tampa Bay Center were probably too full of $200 shoes and FUBU gear to have something like a tee in stock.

Anyway, I just remember Charlie Jackson looking like an 8th grader running down the field, he was so small. But he was quick and elusive.

Archived