• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I've noticed that USF has had practices interrupted by lightning...

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

Price of steel structures has been climbing for a few years...

I know I have them built; and have bought warehouses in Orlando for far less than what this price is.

A million bucks will still buy a lot of red steel building; KL said on a post that it was 5MM; that is just astronomical for a red steel building; that would buy you over 100,000 sq ft plus office space and about 5-7 acres in Orlando. they owned the land so the cost would have been just the building.

Wrong...don't think I've ever gave the price...but back in early 2003 when the it was paid for...believe it was around $2 Million to $2.5 Million...(included land prep and field turf installation).

Maybe someone (maybe me?) said it probably would cost around $4 Million - $5 Million if built today...considering the super high cost of steel in today's market.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

Wrong...don't think I've ever gave the price....

No, but Freak did and you didn't bother to correct him and knowing what a stickler you are for "facts" (unless it involves attendance matters), we just assumed those figures were correct...

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  162

No, but Freak did and you didn't bother to correct him and knowing what a stickler you are for "facts" (unless it involves attendance matters), we just assumed those figures were correct...

I seem to recall that it was in in the $4MM to $5MM range when it was built, but of course I could be wrong...that's happened once before.  ;D

I seem to recall that it was in in the $4MM to $5MM range when it was built, but of course I could be wrong...that's happened once before.  ;D

Freak, as mich as I'd like to believe you because it would be just one more thing that K_L's wrong about, that seems awfully high. The $2MM area seems more in line with what the facility appears to be...

Freak was right...I was wrong....as I confused the Nicholson's Donation for naming rights ($2 Million) with the total cost of the project ($4.3 Million)

See link:

http://ucfathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112204aaa.html

Freak was right...I was wrong....as I confused the Nicholson's Donation for naming rights ($2 Million) with the total cost of the project ($4.3 Million)

See link:

http://ucfathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112204aaa.html

Centex-Rooney must be a subsidiary of Halliburton....

• Content Count:  132

IF UF, UM, and FSU have gone without them for years i think we will be just fine.  Maybe for Wisconsin or Uconn a indoor facility would be a must but for programs down here its a luxury. 

Bull Dozer, geography lesson.  The reason there is such lightning in Central Florida(Tampa is more in central florida then south florida if you did not know) is due to the weather off the east coast hitting the weather off the west coast of Florida.

Gainesville is farther north and does not have this issue as much as Orlando and Tampa, Tallahassee definately does not have this problem.

IF UF, UM, and FSU have gone without them for years i think we will be just fine.  Maybe for Wisconsin or Uconn a indoor facility would be a must but for programs down here its a luxury. 

Bull Dozer, geography lesson.  The reason there is such lightning in Central Florida(Tampa is more in central florida then south florida if you did not know) is due to the weather off the east coast hitting the weather off the west coast of Florida.

Gainesville is farther north and does not have this issue as much as Orlando and Tampa, Tallahassee definitely does not have this problem.

Hence...the Lightning Capital of the USA...which is what the weather experts have labeled the I-4 corridor surrounding Orlando area...as West Coast breeze meets East Coast breeze.

UCF has recently installed a lightning warning system on campus about 2 years ago...to help everyone on campus stay safe.

See link for news story on this new system:

http://www.cfnews13.com/MediaPlayer/MediaPlayer.aspx?video=lightningsystem_071720070800&cat=Local

PS. Bad storms can pop up ANYWHERE...but its the occurrence and total numbers which makes lightning in Central FL so dangerous.

• Content Count:  1,812

Gainesville is farther north and does not have this issue as much as Orlando and Tampa, Tallahassee definitely does not have this problem.

Hence...the Lightning Capital of the USA...which is what the weather experts have labeled the I-4 corridor surrounding Orlando area...as West Coast breeze meets East Coast breeze.

UCF has recently installed a lightning warning system on campus about 2 years ago...to help everyone on campus stay safe.

See link for news story on this new system:

http://www.cfnews13.com/MediaPlayer/MediaPlayer.aspx?video=lightningsystem_071720070800&cat=Local

PS. Bad storms can pop up ANYWHERE...but its the occurrence and total numbers which makes lightning in Central FL so dangerous.

Actually the whole long part of the state has water on both sides; it is actually closer in Miami. But please see the map for the facts and notice how all the Florida and southern coastal schools are affected along with the Bucs. The slight differences are fairly minor. The chance of being struck by lightning is florida is slightly lower than that of winning the lottery and higher than the chance UCif has to beat USF ;) Nice try on the whole lightning thing. The actual place with most strike activity is on I-4 halfway between Tampa and Orlando; not that close to UCiF or anything else for that matter.

ltgflash_density.jpg

• Content Count:  2,239

It looks really bad all the way up I-4 to around DeLand.

Archived