• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I've noticed that USF has had practices interrupted by lightning...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  928
  • Days Won:  0

Lightning has been around a lot more than the past few years.  Where was the debate before UCF built theirs?  Was their no lightning?  Or just no debate since UCF did not have one?

If it was a priority in the eyes of our program (or anyone else's program) I imagine there'd be one. 

Before UCF had the indoor facility, UCF was always having issues with lightning interupting practice, or forcing the coaching staff to schedule practices at strange times to avoid the storms.   The particular area where UCF is located seems to have more day to day thunderstorms than many others in the state....has to do with the seabreeze coming in from the coast that seems to cause a lot of afternoon storms right near the campus.

One year the team was practicing at 5:30 in the morning to avoid the weather.  So when the request was made for an indoor field, there was little opposition to it.

Well that indoor facility has payed big dividends on the field with wins ;)

I think it is best for a team to practice in the same elements they will play in. The Bulls will have to play games in the heat and humidity and they will be prepared.

To your point, games, just like practices, aren't cancelled because of heat and humidity.  But both would be cancelled for lightning.  UCF, just like USF, has had plenty of practices in the sun.  And I'll tell you, when UCF does have to move it inside because of lightning, that indoor facility as positively stifling.  It's not air-conditioned and the players definitely feel the elements in there.

[glow=red,2,300]And yeah, the facility hasn't helped with wins, but I think that has more to do with player talent than anything else![/glow]

Thought you out recruited us  :-\

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

IF UF, UM, and FSU have gone without them for years i think we will be just fine.  Maybe for Wisconsin or Uconn a indoor facility would be a must but for programs down here its a luxury. 

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Content Count:  2,276

Lightning has been around a lot more than the past few years.  Where was the debate before UCF built theirs?  Was their no lightning?  Or just no debate since UCF did not have one?

If it was a priority in the eyes of our program (or anyone else's program) I imagine there'd be one. 

UCF was only able to build an indoor facility because they received a multi-million $$$ donation specifically for that project.

Prior to 2003...UCF was still working out in a facility that was built in the beginning of UCF's Div II days (not even Div I-AA quality).

$$$$ makes the world go around....which is why it wasn't built UNTIL the $$$$ from the  Nicholson's came in.

• Content Count:  928

Div II facilities for a Div II team (not even Div I-AA quality).

• Content Count:  1,812

UCF was only able to build an indoor facility because they received a multi-million $$$ donation specifically for that project.

Prior to 2003...UCF was still working out in a facility that was built in the beginning of UCF's Div II days (not even Div I-AA quality).

$$$$ makes the world go around....which is why it wasn't built UNTIL the $$$$ from the  Nicholson's came in.

I hope it did not take multi lillions to build a Red steel shell warehouse; you guys were taken if it did

• Content Count:  2,239

Well, considering we have better facilities than a lot of I-A programs, I guess we fit in I-A.

Nuke, I think it cost 2mil, which included the large turbines.  Those are used to simulate windier conditions.

Well, considering we have better facilities than a lot of I-A programs, I guess we fit in I-A.

Nuke, I think it cost 2mil, which included the large turbines.  Those are used to simulate windier conditions.

If that also includes the turf that is in line then.

• Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Price of steel structures has been climbing for a few years...

Price of steel structures has been climbing for a few years...

I know I have them built; and have bought warehouses in Orlando for far less than what this price is.

A million bucks will still buy a lot of red steel building; KL said on a post that it was 5MM; that is just astronomical for a red steel building; that would buy you over 100,000 sq ft plus office space and about 5-7 acres in Orlando. they owned the land so the cost would have been just the building.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,657
  • Days Won:  29

... used to simulate windier conditions.

Could have used your history, because it blows

... j/k  ;D Don't want this moved, just a joke I couldn't pass up being a smarty pants.

Archived