• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I've noticed that USF has had practices interrupted by lightning...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  162
  • Days Won:  0

...so far this fall.  An indoor practice facility would have helped.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I wouldn't worry about that, if I were you.  I believe Coach Leavitt has the situation well in hand. 

I wouldn't worry about that, if I were you.  I believe Coach Leavitt has the situation well in hand. 

I'm not worried about it - just made that post because there has been a healthy debate over the past few years about the need for a school to have an indoor practice facility in Florida.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,056
  • Days Won:  469

Lightning has been around a lot more than the past few years.  Where was the debate before UCF built theirs?  Was their no lightning?  Or just no debate since UCF did not have one?

If it was a priority in the eyes of our program (or anyone else's program) I imagine there'd be one. 

Lightning has been around a lot more than the past few years.  Where was the debate before UCF built theirs?  Was their no lightning?  Or just no debate since UCF did not have one?

If it was a priority in the eyes of our program (or anyone else's program) I imagine there'd be one. 

Before UCF had the indoor facility, UCF was always having issues with lightning interupting practice, or forcing the coaching staff to schedule practices at strange times to avoid the storms.  The particular area where UCF is located seems to have more day to day thunderstorms than many others in the state....has to do with the seabreeze coming in from the coast that seems to cause a lot of afternoon storms right near the campus.

One year the team was practicing at 5:30 in the morning to avoid the weather.  So when the request was made for an indoor field, there was little opposition to it.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,056
  • Days Won:  469

Well done then, I suppose.

Do you know how much was spent on it?

• Content Count:  1,812

Before UCF had the indoor facility, UCF was always having issues with lightning interupting practice, or forcing the coaching staff to schedule practices at strange times to avoid the storms.   The particular area where UCF is located seems to have more day to day thunderstorms than many others in the state....has to do with the seabreeze coming in from the coast that seems to cause a lot of afternoon storms right near the campus.

One year the team was practicing at 5:30 in the morning to avoid the weather.  So when the request was made for an indoor field, there was little opposition to it.

Well that indoor facility has payed big dividends on the field with wins ;)

I think it is best for a team to practice in the same elements they will play in. The Bulls will have to play games in the heat and humidity and they will be prepared.

Before UCF had the indoor facility, UCF was always having issues with lightning interupting practice, or forcing the coaching staff to schedule practices at strange times to avoid the storms.   The particular area where UCF is located seems to have more day to day thunderstorms than many others in the state....has to do with the seabreeze coming in from the coast that seems to cause a lot of afternoon storms right near the campus.

I think it is best for a team to practice in the same elements they will play in. The Bulls will have to play games in the heat and humidity and they will be prepared.

To your point, games, just like practices, aren't cancelled because of heat and humidity.  But both would be cancelled for lightning.  UCF, just like USF, has had plenty of practices in the sun.  And I'll tell you, when UCF does have to move it inside because of lightning, that indoor facility as positively stifling.  It's not air-conditioned and the players definitely feel the elements in there.

And yeah, the facility hasn't helped with wins, but I think that has more to do with player talent than anything else!

Well done then, I suppose.

Do you know how much was spent on it?

I think it was inbetween $4MM and $5MM.  It has the basic amenities for practices, but that's about it.  No A/C.

• Content Count:  1,812

To your point, games, just like practices, aren't cancelled because of heat and humidity.  But both would be cancelled for lightning.  UCF, just like USF, has had plenty of practices in the sun.  And I'll tell you, when UCF does have to move it inside because of lightning, that indoor facility as positively stifling.  It's not air-conditioned and the players definitely feel the elements in there.

And yeah, the facility hasn't helped with wins, but I think that has more to do with player talent than anything else!

The Bucs have done without one and maybe they will build one that USF can use. USF also does not just send the kids to their rooms when it starts to storm; I believe they practice in a large auditorium like the Bucs. They just do not invite the media and everyone else to follow also like the Bucs. The other day they actually returned back to the field after a short time but the media had already left and reported that practice was cancelled.

Archived