• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Transit Village Displays at USF Offer East Tampa Transportation Solutions

USFan

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,574
  • Days Won:  0

Pretty cool...

273-Light%20Rail%20Transit%20Village.jpg

A series of unique three-dimensional urban design schemes for a transit-village in East Tampa was unveiled July 30 at the University of South Florida School of Architecture and Community Design located on the Tampa campus in the Human Services (HMS) Building, third floor.  The School’s Urban Design Studio will present a transit-oriented development and employment center as part of Tampa’s proposed light-rail system.  It will be on view through Friday, Aug. 3.

“There haven’t been any visions developed for what form transit might take if and when it’s implemented. The public needs to be informed and involved in an ongoing effort to better understand the implications of a transit initiative,†said Trent Green, associate professor in Architecture and Community Design, who spearheaded the project.  “People talk about transit solutions and leave it to the imagination.  To my knowledge, this is the first time this kind of urban design vision has been developed around this issue. Clearly, there’s a need for many more.â€Â

Graduate students in urban and community design have completed five different schemes that focus on the potential redevelopment of a large site at Hillsborough Avenue and 30th Street.  The transit-village displays feature graphics and large models of a portion of East Tampa that show a possible transit station, mixed-use development and housing integrated into the community. 

“This project explores future opportunities for transit-oriented development as the Tampa Bay region anticipates implementing mass transit in the area,†said Green.  “The students have worked all summer on this project and have done an amazing job.â€Â

Among those expected to attend:  Lucie Ayer, executive director of the Hillsborough County Metropolitan Planning Organization; Michele Ogilvie, Hillsborough County Planning Commission; City of Tampa Urban Designer Wilson Stair; Keith Greminger, URS Planning Division;  Ed Johnson, East Tampa Development Department; and Sara Hendricks, USF Center for Urban Transit Research.

http://usfweb3.usf.edu/absolutenm/templates/?a=273&z=14

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Awesome

• Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Impressive.

• 2 weeks later...

• Content Count:  1,532

That looks pretty good.  But I hope they re-think where the light rail runs through or next to USF.  Currently the line runs down BB Downs and only has stops ON BB DOWNS.  I doubt anyone is getting off at the lake and unless you are a med student... it's a long walk or wait for a bull runner.

http://usfweb2.usf.edu/FacilitiesPlan/Campus%20Planning/ImagePDF/f3.3_USF_Illustrative.pdf

• Content Count:  4,642

USF is going to turn into a little "downtown".  I love it.

Archived