• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Awesome Richard Kelly article....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

I can't wait to see Kelly, Ford and Grothe in the same backfield!

Sumter running back arrives at USF

By STEVE DAY, DAILY SUN

BUSHNELL  It was about seven years ago when South Sumter High School graduate Clenton Crossley made the trip from Bushnell to the University of South Florida campus in Tampa.

When Crossley got there in 2000, he got a lot of good-natured kidding from his teammates. Because he came from a small town, he was nicknamed “Country†or “Sumter†by his teammates.

Richard Kelly, a bruising 230-pound running back, is the latest in a line of Raiders to choose to play their college football at USF. Kelly arrived on campus Wednesday to start his freshman year and didn’t have to answer any questions about where South Sumter is.

Crossley’s rushing skills were a major contribution to the Bulls’ offense. Former Raiders linebacker Ben Moffitt, now a senior for the Bulls, has led the team in tackles the past two years. Sam Miller, another Sumter linebacker, is in line to join Moffitt in the starting lineup this year.

“Everybody knows where South Sumter is.†Kelly said.

The Bulls aren’t the only football program reaping the benefits of the South Sumter football program. Earl Everett is hoping to make the Cincinnati Bengals’ roster this summer and Kelly’s classmate, Kendall Smith, is off to Tallahassee to play for the Seminoles. But South Sumter coach Inman Sherman said it all started with Crossley going to play for USF. 

“I think the most important person in that was Clenton Crossley. He got the door open. He did well and gave the others a chance. The ones going there now should always be grateful to him,†Sherman said when Kelly signed with South Florida. “They are getting our best people down there. I am extremely proud of them. They have been tremendous ambassadors for our school.â€Â

South Florida recruiting coordinator and running backs coach Carl Franks knows what he will get from Kelly.

“We know he will come in ready to work because anybody who has played for Inman Sherman always does,†Franks said.

Sherman said Kelly won’t have a difficult time adjusting on the football field, but may find it a little more difficult to adjust to being away from home.

“He has a chance to make an impact right away. He has a blend of size and speed,†Sherman said of the 6-foot, 240-pound Kelly. “I think his transition may be a little difficult off the field. He’s kind of a momma’s boy. It’s not that he can’t handle it, but it could be difficult for him.â€Â

Kelly believes he can adjust to life in Tampa, both of the field and off.

“I will just have to prove myself again,†said Kelly. “Coming to South Sumter as a freshman, I didn’t know I would be playing varsity football. The seniors tried to put the fear into my heart.â€Â

“My mom hasn’t missed any of my football games,†Kelly said. “It’s only 45 minutes away and I can be home on weekends if I have to.â€Â

Besides, when Kelly arrives in Tampa he will see the familiar faces of Moffitt and Miller, now two of the Bulls’ elder statesmen.

“It’s going to be great to playing with them,†Kelly said. “They’ll help teach me the ropes.â€Â

The running back said the decision about red-shirting during his freshman year is still up in the air.

“I talked to Coach (Jim) Leavitt and he said it all depends on whether I learn the plays and things,†Kelly said.

Kelly said there is talk he may move from fullback to tailback for the Bulls.

“We really like Richard’s size,†Franks said. “That’s something we didn’t have in our backfield last season, so it gives us something new.â€Â

There was an air of anxiety around Kelly as he was packing his belongings.

“I’m ready to go. I can’t wait to get in the weight room and to play in Raymond James Stadium,†Kelly said. “I want to put on the pads and start hitting.â€Â

Steve Day is a sportswriter for the Daily Sun. He may be reached at sports@thevillagesmedia.com.

http://www.thevillagesdailysun.com/articles/2007/06/28/sports/sports02.txt

• Content Count:  2,569

I think this guy could be special.  Can't wait to see him get into the secondary and run over some db's.  Nothing excites a Ray Jay crowd like a big running back trucking guys, A-Train style.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,659
  • Days Won:  29

Ahhh .... Remember Dyral McMillan well.

A good transfer from UM, just wish we had more years of him.

Go BULLS !!!

• Content Count:  9,038

He is a beast, fa sho!

• Content Count:  2,657

Ahhh .... Remember Dyral McMillan well.

A good transfer from UM, just wish we had more years of him.

Go BULLS !!!

Don't forget the "Dump Truck", aka Mr. Otis Dixon.

• Content Count:  3,103
  • Days Won:  0

this article got me excited about seeing him play, and i was watching the 10 year dvd and there is a video of Otis running over a guy near the 10 yard line and gaining almost 5 more yards after trucking the defender, got me excited.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  5,384
  • Days Won:  10

Great article!  Man, with so many options in the backfield and Grothe in the pocket this offense could be unBULLievable!!  I can just see Kelly trucking down the field with three or four blue and gold players stuck on his back and chest.  They'll look like lovebugs stuck on a grille!

Archived