• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Re: For all those who hate RayJay remember this...

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Little league teams got to walk around the perimeter of Chase Field before a Diamondbacks game last week.  They were all wide-eyed as they ambled about (so too were the parents).   There is a lot to be said about a kid coming out of high school playing on an NFL field - no doubt.  But for the fans (speaking for me) - I'd love it to be on campus.  Right now I believe RJS to be a fine recruiting tool.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

alittle off topic but looks like Miami is moving into the Fin's stadium so whe wont be the only D-I school to play in a Pro stadium

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Little league teams got to walk around the perimeter of Chase Field before a Diamondbacks game last week.  They were all wide-eyed as they ambled about (so too were the parents).   There is a lot to be said about a kid coming out of high school playing on an NFL field - no doubt.  But for the fans (speaking for me) - I'd love it to be on campus.  Right now I believe RJS to be a fine recruiting tool.

I agree it's a nice tool over a FIU, So Miss, or even a Mississippi St.

However, I fully believe they have to get the same effect walking into Doak Campbell, The Swamp, or Jordan-Hare.

Thats why I don't believe it is that powerful of a tool for the guys we're turning our eyes to now. 3 years ago yes. Now, maybe not so much, unless it is a guy not being courted heavily by the big boys.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

However, I fully believe they have to get the same effect walking into Doak Campbell, The Swamp, or Jordan-Hare.

Those stadiums have something we won't have for a long time, history.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Those stadiums have something we won't have for a long time, history.

That's right.

But, the longer we delay in construction, the longer we delay that history.

The clock is ticking.....

• Content Count:  3,096
  • Days Won:  1

alittle off topic but looks like Miami is moving into the Fin's stadium so whe wont be the only D-I school to play in a Pro stadium

As per my recollection, Miami will be the 7th school to play home games in a pro stadium:

- Pitt (Heinz Field)

- San Diego St. (Qualcomm Stadium)

- Minnesota (Metrodome), but only for a few more years

- Temple (Lincoln Financial Field - Philadelphia)

- Tulane (Louisiana Superdome)

- USF (Ray Jay)

- Miami (Dolphin Stadium)

I think a D I-AA team may play in LP Field, home of the Tennessee Titans, but I'm not sure.

• Content Count:  12,465
  • Days Won:  25

I personally would be at whatever venue we played in. I understand both sides of the RayJay vs. OCS argument, but this is all about the product on the field for me.

It's exciting, and continually improving, and the future is as bright as could possibly be.

If you were here for UT at the old Philips Field, and then Tampa Stadium and then GONE, we've got it better than most even realize.

Anybody remember when the OLD Sombrero held 45K or so?

Count your blessings and be carefull of what you ask for.

GO BULLS!

• Content Count:  7,890

As per my recollection, Miami will be the 7th school to play home games in a pro stadium:

- Pitt (Heinz Field)

- USF (Ray Jay)

I think a D I-AA team may play in LP Field, home of the Tennessee Titans, but I'm not sure.

I was thinking of  D-IA Florida teams

• Content Count:  1,812

- Pitt (Heinz Field)

- USF (Ray Jay)

U of M played in the Orange Bowl when the dolphins played there and USC plays in what used to be a Pro stadium as did UCLA. The thing is that most Universities of any size are located in small towns- the ones listed are the rare large urban Universities where space is at a premium and Pro stadiums already exist. In small college towns if the school does not build stadium there is no stadium.

• Content Count:  1,812

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The field is a unique factor that kids can point out about USF. I seriously doubt it has played a major decisions in most of our bigger recruits.

When a guy is choosing between FIU and USF, yes, it is probably something to consider.

When a guy is choosing between Auburn and USF, do you really think RJS is that big of a deal? No.

RJS is a good facility that neither harms us or really boosts us that much in recruiting. The players only use it on game day. They don't get to use any of the amenities. Their locker room really isn't very special.

Lawerence McCoy will be a solid player for USF, but the other schools that were after him were smaller D-IA and a couple D-IAA. Not much of a coup on our end considering their facilities.

When I hear several top guys saying RJS was their ultimate decision in choosing USF over Auburn, FSU, Florida, LSU, etc.c Then I might believe it.

Recruits chose schools for many different reasons, they said the same thing about U of M in the dumpy Orange Bowl but it did not hurt them. If a recruit wants a small town college atmosphere like Auburn or Nebraska we do not offer that but some recruits like being in a big city and playing in a state of the art Pro stadium is a plus over a cheap OCS.

The biggest recruiting tool for big time players is a chance to get to the next level and that comes with winning and exposure, again see U of  M. A lot of our fans seem to think that we have to keep up with other state schools that have a lack of on the field milestones and try to make up for it with intangibles. One of the nicest college campuses I have been to is Duke and all that pretty stuff has gotten them no where in football because they do not win.

Look at what BYU was able to do when the could win and put guys in the pros, I mean have you been to their campus, not my cup of tea and then you have a huge pressure to convert to another religion but they still got talent to go there.

In short if we have to rely on a stadium to recruit we will never move to the next level IMO.

Archived