• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Thoughts on Bay area stadium issues....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,260
  • Days Won:  0

As most of the locals know, one of the biggest stories this week in local sports has been the comments by the Devil Rays owner, insinuating that the dome has only about 5 years before they need to reconcile their situation. Because of it, alot of time has been taken discussing a possible move to the Hillsborough side of the bridge.

In light of the discussion taking place, I think that it would be a great time to interject a USF point of view on the local airwaves. We need to bring up our stadium agreement at RJS (the taxpayer's investment) and get the word out there that we're not thrilled. I doubt it would happen, but we need to at least get the thought out there that the county and city should have a greater interest in helping USF's stadium issues (the largest economic engine in the area) instead of jumping into a new baseball proposal. Our government officials need to know that the public thinks the priorities need a re-examination when even the Yankees get tax money...but we can't sniff any type of favorable status in the form of land/tax money/stadium revenues.

I could be misguided....Thoughts?

• Content Count:  385

I think they know about us, since USF brought a huge amount (I can't remember if we brought the most or not) of money to the Tampa Bay area.  There was an article not too long ago about that.  

I think they would take a better look if we were selling out RayJay or close to it.  The Rays don't bring in the money they should, but they sell enough to support their stadium.  

If and when they build a new stadium, I hope they build it on the Tampa side.  I wouldn't mind watching a few games, but the drive is killer.

• Content Count:  9,762
  • Days Won:  9

If you live in Tampa and think going to St. Pete is too far for a baseball game, then this is part of the problem with Bay Area Fans.  People in other towns drive alot further in heavier traffic to get to baseball games.  In reality its the bridge.  I'm not sure why, but with alot of people there is a problem when you include a drive with a bridge.  I think its a mental block of some sort.    

• Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

They sure don't make em' like they used to...  

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Content Count:  2,276

I think they would take a better look if we were selling out RayJay or close to it.  The Rays don't bring in the money they should, but they sell enough to support their stadium.  

Actually, the Rays don't.

Only reason why the Rays make a profit is from the obscene National TV $$$, MLB Pool money, plus luxury tax $$$$$ they receive from the league.

That's why the owner(s) never care about the Rays record or about spending $$$$...as they are already making a profit...with or without fans (mostly without).

• Content Count:  385

If you live in Tampa and think going to St. Pete is too far for a baseball game, then this is part of the problem with Bay Area Fans.  People in other towns drive alot further in heavier traffic to get to baseball games.  In reality its the bridge.  I'm not sure why, but with alot of people there is a problem when you include a drive with a bridge.  I think its a mental block of some sort.    

Its not the bridge, in fact nearly every time I have driven on the bridge proper it has been great, it is clearwater/airport exit before the bridge and malfunction junction that really sucks.  Trust me it's not a bridge thing, its a "I-can-catch-a-lightning-game-bucs-game-usf-game-concerts-etc-without having-to-drive-all-the-way-to-freakin-st.-pete" thing.  

Didn't know about the Ray's money issues, sorry.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

let them leave or let the owners build their own stadium

why would citizens allow politicians to pay for a stadium for a millionare

• Content Count:  1,260

Umm....my original posting seems so long ago.  :D

My point was that more USF'ers need to be interjecting our point of view on the local stadium issue to try and draw attention. We are largely ignored by the locals when it comes to stadium issues..but we shouldn't be.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  6,784
  • Days Won:  3

My point was that more USF'ers need to be interjecting our point of view on the local stadium issue to try and draw attention. We are largely ignored by the locals when it comes to stadium issues..but we shouldn't be.

...hmmmm...seems to me the topic of conversation is specifically Tropicana Field, not Raymond James, and as such, we (USF) have little to offer in the way of constructive input. USF is far removed from St. Pete's dome issues, so I don't see what we'd bring to the table. Would it be complaining about the deal we agreed to when RJS was built? Seems like apples and oranges to me.

• Content Count:  4,879

Let him move the team; they'll always be losers in that division.  I don't see how a new baseball stadium could offer a more attractive deal that RJS.

Archived