• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Thoughts on Bay area stadium issues....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,260
  • Days Won:  0

My point was that more USF'ers need to be interjecting our point of view on the local stadium issue to try and draw attention. We are largely ignored by the locals when it comes to stadium issues..but we shouldn't be.

...hmmmm...seems to me the topic of conversation is specifically Tropicana Field, not Raymond James, and as such, we (USF) have little to offer in the way of constructive input. USF is far removed from St. Pete's dome issues, so I don't see what we'd bring to the table. Would it be complaining about the deal we agreed to when RJS was built? Seems like apples and oranges to me.

It will be apples to apples if Tampa eventually were to approve funds for a baseball stadium to lure the Rays across the Bay. Those are building funds that would NEVER be offered the local university.

My point was that more USF'ers need to be interjecting our point of view on the local stadium issue to try and draw attention. We are largely ignored by the locals when it comes to stadium issues..but we shouldn't be.

...hmmmm...seems to me the topic of conversation is specifically Tropicana Field, not Raymond James, and as such, we (USF) have little to offer in the way of constructive input. USF is far removed from St. Pete's dome issues, so I don't see what we'd bring to the table. Would it be complaining about the deal we agreed to when RJS was built? Seems like apples and oranges to me.

It will be apples to apples if Tampa eventually were to approve funds for a baseball stadium to lure the Rays across the Bay. Those are building funds that would NEVER be offered the local university.

Perhaps it would be helpful to consider the actual potential tax sources for stadium construction:

1) Hotel Bed Taxes

Florida law allows counties to levy up to 2% tax on hotel rooms (on top of the sales tax).  Counties can also levy a 3rd cent for "sports facilities, museums, convention centers, sports stadiums, sports arenas, coliseums, or auditoriums, or museums that are publicly owned and operated or owned and operated by not-for-profit organizations and open to the public ..."  (While this could apply to USF, these revenues are being used for other facilities here in Hillsborough County).

The law allows counties to levy a 4th and 5th cent to be used for stadiums for "professional sports franchise facilities" or "retained spring training franchise facilities".  Some "high tourism" counties can offer a 6th cent for these same purposes.

-- Section 125.0104, Florida Statutes

2) Local Government Infrastructure Surtax

This is known as the Community Investment Tax in Hillsborough County.  Each county can levy a 1/2% or 1% sales tax to fund "Any fixed capital expenditure or fixed capital outlay associated with the construction, reconstruction, or improvement of public facilities that have a life expectancy of 5 or more years and any land acquisition, land improvement, design, and engineering costs related thereto."  

Technically, Hillsborough County could levy an additional 1/2% tax.  The tax must be passed by the voters.  The proceeds would then be allocated based on an interlocal agreement between the county and the cities of Tampa, Temple Terrace, and Plant City.

-- Section 212.055(2), Florida Statutes

3) Sales Tax Rebate

Florida provides up to $2 million per year for 30 years ($60 million) for "for the acquisition, construction, reconstruction, or renovation of a facility for a new professional sports franchise, a facility for a retained professional sports franchise, or a facility for a retained spring training franchise..."

-- Section 288.1162, Florida Statutes

4) Capital Improvement Trust Fund &/or Building Fees

Students pay $2.44 per credit hour into a the CITF to pay for the construction of facilities, usually non-academic.  They also pay $2.32 per credit for a building fee to pay for the construction of facilities, usually academic. The Sun Dome was built with CITF funds.  The University's CITF committee recommends projects that are submitted through the Board of Governors to the Legislature.  Only legislatively-approved projects can be built with CITF money.

-- Secion 1009.24(7), Florida Statutes; 1010.62(6), Florida Statutes; 1013.74(3), Florida Statutes;

These are essentially the only "tax" dollars that can be directed toward the construction of a football stadium for USF.  Notice that two of them do not provide funds for college sports teams.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Let him move the team; they'll always be losers in that division.  I don't see how a new baseball stadium could offer a more attractive deal that RJS.

If this team had 2 more quality starters and a decent bullpen they could be competing for a playoff spot.  The yanks and sox are only getting older and their farm systems arent as good as the Rays.  The Rays are in the top 3 if not the top young team with even more talent in the farm system.  The yanks and sox will start to decline over the next few years and the Rays will only get better as the young players ger more and more experience.  

• Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

on fox news last night they said that there are some serious discussions about putting a new Rays stadium were Al Lang field is located now.

Archived