• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Grothe Arrested For Serving Booze To Minor

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  477
  • Days Won:  0

So much for all that rumor stuff:

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/

---

April 27, 2007

Grothe arrested for serving booze to minor

USF quarterback Matt Grothe, last year's Big East Rookie of the Year, was arrested last week while working at a Bulls-themed sports bar and faces a misdemeanor charge of selling alcohol to an underage person.

Grothe, 20, was working behind the bar April 19 at the Bull Ring Sports Bar near USF's campus on Fowler Ave., when he served two Corona Extras to an 18-year-old who was working with officers from the state's Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco.

Grothe's arrest is unlikely to result in any significant disciplinary action from coach Jim Leavitt, and legally should not amount to more than probation and community service. But it seems USF was unaware the most prominent athlete on campus was working at least occasionally in a job serving alcohol at a place that USF encourages its fans and boosters to congregate.

"I had heard something happened, but I didn't know what. He’s not there anymore," Leavitt said Friday.

Asked if he had known Grothe was working there, Leavitt said he did not, and when asked if anyone at USF knew, he said "(I'm) unsure. But somebody is supposed to."

Several Bulls coaches host their radio shows at the Bull Ring, a restaurant and bar is part of USF's "Bull Country" network of area businesses, catering to USF fans and featuring Bulls decorations prominently.

Grothe's employment there in itself is neither illegal nor in violation of NCAA bylaws. Anyone over the age of 18 in Florida can legally serve alcohol in a licensed establishment, and NCAA rules do not limit a job a scholarship athlete can hold, so long as he is paid appropriately for actual work.

Grothe, who did not return messages Friday seeking comment, was USF's offensive MVP as a redshirt freshman last year after leading the Bulls to a 9-4 record and the program's first bowl victory. He engineered three come-from-behind victories in September and established himself a playmaker, passing for 2,576 yards and 15 touchdowns and rushing for 622 yards and nine scores.

Check Saturday’s Times for more information on this story. Times writer Greg Auman can be reached at auman@sptimes.com

[edit]modified by Bulliever to improve accuracy of title[/edit]

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

Can this .... the 3rd thread be deleted ?

:P

::)

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  477

I am waiting for "Jamies" follow up comments on "Doesn't that Grothe thread teach everyone etc.etc..."

Give me a second while i run to the fridge to grab a beer.

• Topic Count:  220
  • Content Count:  2,726

oh crap...

• Topic Count:  220
  • Content Count:  2,726

Well, it probably wasnt his fault.  Let's move on from this guys...whatever...

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Not his fault? Come on.

I bartended before (as little as 6 months ago to supplement my income) and rule number 1 is always ID, they pound that into your head, especially by a campus.

He shouldn't have done that, and will probably plea no contest, get community service. I think he should be suspended for 1st 1/2 of the Elon game, but I can understand if it doesn't happen

• Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

I am waiting for "Jamies" follow up comments on "Doesn't that Grothe thread teach everyone etc.etc..."

Not in this thread. And just because it actually is true doesn't change the point I was trying to make.

Anyway, back on topic... not very good of Leavitt to be so aloof or ignorant about what his star quarterback is doing to make money. This goes back to what I said last year, he needs to take a more active role in making sure his players don't do stupid things off the field.

• Topic Count:  171
  • Content Count:  996

I accept all apologies from those who said I was wrong.  

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  478

i think we need a backup quarterback. I think we need him more than we realize.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2

I accept all apologies from those who said I was wrong.  

Or no apology for being the one who kept it all going...