• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

NOW I AM MAD..... THE ORACLE IS A RAG

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

I've worn OSU shirts on the UCF campus many times, but I definitely don't go verbally going to everyone saying how OSU is better than UCF because I say so.  Me wearing that shirt is no big deal.  If I did out of spite towards my undergrad school, that is a big deal.

Question...how can other folks on campus tell if in your example above: wearing an OSU shirt on UCF's campus (or say UF shirt on USF campus) that the person wearing it is or isn't doing it out of spite?

How can others on campus differentiate from the two?

Personally...if I saw someone at UCF wearing "OSU" stuff on UCF's campus...I would just laugh at them, nothing more, nothing less....as it just screams out loud "I DON'T WANT TO BE HERE!".

Wow... am I actually agreeing with you!?!

I have my "moment" (singular).  8-)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  2,239

I've worn OSU shirts on the UCF campus many times, but I definitely don't go verbally going to everyone saying how OSU is better than UCF because I say so.  Me wearing that shirt is no big deal.  If I did out of spite towards my undergrad school, that is a big deal.

Question...how can other folks on campus tell if in your example above: wearing an OSU shirt on UCF's campus (or say UF shirt on USF campus) that the person wearing it is or isn't doing it out of spite?

How can others on campus differentiate from the two?

Personally...if I saw someone at UCF wearing "OSU" stuff on UCF's campus...I would just laugh at them, nothing more, nothing less....as it just screams out loud "I DON'T WANT TO BE HERE!".

Wow... am I actually agreeing with you!?!

I have my "moment" (singular).  8-)

Ok, now you're talking stupid speak.  Why not run around the Alabama student section wearing Auburn clothes yelling War Eagle while you're at it?  You're using the extreme rivals to try and justify yourself, which is a bad representation of reality, since most schools are not hated rivals of each other.  Comparing UCF or USF to UF is nothing like comparing Alabama and Auburn or Michigan and Ohio State.  First of all, only the delusional minority think either school is even close to being a "rival" to Florida.  It would be like wearing a Michigan shirt at CMU or vice versa.  CMU, the inferior, would whine and cry about someone wearing a Michigan shirt on their campus while there isn't much they could do since their tradition and prestige is so much lower.  They just need to deal with it.

I watched that video a while ago and it made me laugh.  I laughed at the ones who were busy kicking and smacking the mascot around cause the people who walked by and didn't make a scene looked too normal.

• Topic Count:  68
  • Content Count:  651

As a former football player, it was very disheartening to see students walk around campus wearing other schools shirts. I won't go as far as saying they can't root for that team, but please leave it off campus.

• Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574

As a former football player, it was very disheartening to see students walk around campus wearing other schools shirts. I won't go as far as saying they can't root for that team, but please leave it off campus.

DP... here you go.  This is very easy to understand!

GO BULLLLLLSSS!

Ok, now you're talking stupid speak.  Why not run around the Alabama student section wearing Auburn clothes yelling War Eagle while you're at it?  You're using the extreme rivals to try and justify yourself, which is a bad representation of reality, since most schools are not hated rivals of each other.  Comparing UCF or USF to UF is nothing like comparing Alabama and Auburn or Michigan and Ohio State.  First of all, only the delusional minority think either school is even close to being a "rival" to Florida.  It would be like wearing a Michigan shirt at CMU or vice versa.  CMU, the inferior, would whine and cry about someone wearing a Michigan shirt on their campus while there isn't much they could do since their tradition and prestige is so much lower.  They just need to deal with it.

I watched that video a while ago and it made me laugh.  I laughed at the ones who were busy kicking and smacking the mascot around cause the people who walked by and didn't make a scene looked too normal.

This is fun... I never thought I would see this from two UCFers.  Keep in mind that this is on USF's main board.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

The school u attend doesnt always have to be ur die hard fav team, but u by no means should root against ur school just to piss people off or be the rebel... Thats just stupid..

Maybe just because you are a buckey but I have to disagree completely. [highlight]The school you attend does have to be your die hard favorite team. [/highlight]You can be fans of other teams but there will not be another "your" school. Academics seem to hate to admit this but there is a direct connection between the respect you get for that piece of paper hanging in your office and the success/recognition of your athletic programs. If you want to make that piece of paper more valuable than you do everything in your power to promote respect of your school and your support of athletics is a big part of that. Putting any other school above your own not only is disrespectful to the school but it also indirectly helps to devalue that piece of paper.

Who made these rules?  Being a fan is NOT a sport.   Being a fan is NOT based on legal stipulations.  I also don't think USF winning the Big East will make my Electrical Engineering degree look any better to a company that might want to hire me.  Maybe if I was getting my degree in athletics?  I understand that you guys want all the students to like USF sports.  I do, too.  But it will change with time and winning, not being an a-hole to everyone that grew up supporting another team first.  We need all the fans we can get.  

If we have an amazing season, starting by beating Auburn, then perhaps we pick up all the bandwagon fans.  I don't think Miami sold out every game last year.  It's the same at every school.  If we win consistently people will figure it out.  I try to talk to fellow USF students at my job and they have no clue what is going on with USF, but they sure know what is going on with respect to the national media attention and their other FL schools.  They laugh at the bowl games we go to.  It's just casual fans and bandwagons fans, that's how they are.  Deal with it.  Not everyone is like you.  Try to promote, be positive, tell people about Mike Ford (I play football on campus every week and hardly anyone I play with knows about him), but there is no reason to attack people that are not like you.

Let people support who they want.  Being a fan is not a job for most people.

your right, I forgot we live in a day and age that loyalty is a thing long forgotten

Yeah, because being loyal to a sports team is the real test of a person's character.  Let me repeat:  being a fan is not a job.  Being a fan should be fun and enjoyed however you want.  What you are is way too serious about the situation.  Also, there isn't much loyalty in professional sports because, like most people, athletes go where they can make the most money.  Hard to root for individual players if you only like a certain team.  Shows loyalty to stick with any team now.

Besides that, being staying with the team YOU GREW UP ROOTING FOR shows loyalty and shows you are not a bandwagon fan and that you take being a fan seriously, even if it's too serious like most of you on this topic.

Maybe if you took the time to actually read my posts would would have noticed I made a distinction between your College team and just any old athletic team (actually that was the entire point to my post). There is much more than just being a fan that goes into supporting your school's football team, re-read my post for the details that I don't feel like retyping. Again, I am not saying you should quit being a fan of the other schools, just that supporting your own school is more important as it has other ramifications and yes there is a loyalty factor that isn't there with simply a team that you are a fan of.

and no, sticking with your previous teams over your own school does not show loyalty. You have loyalty to your country, your family, your school etc... you don't have loyalty to a community that you are just an outside wannabe. It may show that you are a die hard fan but sorry I put loyalty a step above fandom. But as I said, this is a day and age of no loyalties aside from "ME ME ME"

I read the post I responded to.  I separate athletics from scholastics.  I don't think Harvard's reputation as an academic institution is called into question  if they don't win the Ivy League Championship in any particular sport.  I don't think Stanford, a similar quality academic institution, cares if they lose the Pac-10 every year except for how much money they could have gotten.  I think it is natural to go for the team of the school you went to because there is a connection to it and the players do represent the school.  I think it is much easier for a school to get a bad reputation from athletics than a good one.  I don't think more highly of FSU's academics or UF's academics from each of their 2 championships, but Miami has a reputation of a thug school because of their football team.   I don't know how much people even take that into account either.  

I will repeat what I typed:  I don't think USF winning the big east would improve my Electrical Engineering degree.  More money generated from athletics could improve the popularity of the school as far as people wanting to come here, but the biggest thing is the money generated which most likely would just go back into athletics to support the non-money-making programs and a new stadium and basketball practice facility.  Oh, and that Dining Hall.  I do not think a company will hire me based on the fact my team won the Big East, either.  I think they'll be more interested in what I can do for them, you know, engineering-wise.

Furthermore, just because I go to an institution does not mean I have to support every facet of it.  By your logic I should be a Gator sports fan just because I went there a year.  Maybe they should be my new 3rd team?  I disagree, because I went there for academic reasons, not sports reasons.  You said people must support their school's athletics and I completely disagree.  I think you are too serious about sports.  It is cool to brag about the school you went to winning something big nationally, but I don't think it improves the reason you go to a University:  TO LEARN.

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  280

I will repeat what I typed:  I don't think USF winning the big east would improve my Electrical Engineering degree.  More money generated from athletics [highlight]could improve the popularity of the school as far as people wanting to come here[/highlight].....

UMMMM... that's exactly why it would improve your degree because increasing the popularity of the school also attracts higher talented individuals which gets recognized heavily in academic rankings. Higher talented students go on to be more successful in the workforce which in turn increases alumni donations. It has more of an impact than just athletics.

It just kills me that some people still don't get it. I use the same example over and over....if you root for a professional sports team, it's a little different because even though you may live in tampa, you can never really say you are a buccaneer....but when you go to a university like USF, you are a BULL. And yes, that does mean in every facet. But that's just me, what do I know..

I will repeat what I typed:  I don't think USF winning the big east would improve my Electrical Engineering degree.  More money generated from athletics [highlight]could improve the popularity of the school as far as people wanting to come here[/highlight].....

UMMMM... that's exactly why it would improve your degree because increasing the popularity of the school also attracts higher talented individuals which gets recognized heavily in academic rankings. Higher talented students go on to be more successful in the workforce which in turn increases alumni donations. It has more of an impact than just athletics.

It just kills me that some people still don't get it. I use the same example over and over....if you root for a professional sports team, it's a little different because even though you may live in tampa, you can never really say you are a buccaneer....but when you go to a university like USF, you are a BULL. And yes, that does mean in every facet. But that's just me, what do I know..

I agree.  Athletics does improve academics.  It's not the only reason or way, but it does help out a lot.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

The school u attend doesnt always have to be ur die hard fav team, but u by no means should root against ur school just to piss people off or be the rebel... Thats just stupid..

Maybe just because you are a buckey but I have to disagree completely. [highlight]The school you attend does have to be your die hard favorite team. [/highlight]You can be fans of other teams but there will not be another "your" school. Academics seem to hate to admit this but there is a direct connection between the respect you get for that piece of paper hanging in your office and the success/recognition of your athletic programs. If you want to make that piece of paper more valuable than you do everything in your power to promote respect of your school and your support of athletics is a big part of that. Putting any other school above your own not only is disrespectful to the school but it also indirectly helps to devalue that piece of paper.

Who made these rules?  Being a fan is NOT a sport.   Being a fan is NOT based on legal stipulations.  I also don't think USF winning the Big East will make my Electrical Engineering degree look any better to a company that might want to hire me.  Maybe if I was getting my degree in athletics?  I understand that you guys want all the students to like USF sports.  I do, too.  But it will change with time and winning, not being an a-hole to everyone that grew up supporting another team first.  We need all the fans we can get.  

If we have an amazing season, starting by beating Auburn, then perhaps we pick up all the bandwagon fans.  I don't think Miami sold out every game last year.  It's the same at every school.  If we win consistently people will figure it out.  I try to talk to fellow USF students at my job and they have no clue what is going on with USF, but they sure know what is going on with respect to the national media attention and their other FL schools.  They laugh at the bowl games we go to.  It's just casual fans and bandwagons fans, that's how they are.  Deal with it.  Not everyone is like you.  Try to promote, be positive, tell people about Mike Ford (I play football on campus every week and hardly anyone I play with knows about him), but there is no reason to attack people that are not like you.

Let people support who they want.  Being a fan is not a job for most people.

your right, I forgot we live in a day and age that loyalty is a thing long forgotten

Yeah, because being loyal to a sports team is the real test of a person's character.  Let me repeat:  being a fan is not a job.  Being a fan should be fun and enjoyed however you want.  What you are is way too serious about the situation.  Also, there isn't much loyalty in professional sports because, like most people, athletes go where they can make the most money.  Hard to root for individual players if you only like a certain team.  Shows loyalty to stick with any team now.

Besides that, being staying with the team YOU GREW UP ROOTING FOR shows loyalty and shows you are not a bandwagon fan and that you take being a fan seriously, even if it's too serious like most of you on this topic.

Maybe if you took the time to actually read my posts would would have noticed I made a distinction between your College team and just any old athletic team (actually that was the entire point to my post). There is much more than just being a fan that goes into supporting your school's football team, re-read my post for the details that I don't feel like retyping. Again, I am not saying you should quit being a fan of the other schools, just that supporting your own school is more important as it has other ramifications and yes there is a loyalty factor that isn't there with simply a team that you are a fan of.

and no, sticking with your previous teams over your own school does not show loyalty. You have loyalty to your country, your family, your school etc... you don't have loyalty to a community that you are just an outside wannabe. It may show that you are a die hard fan but sorry I put loyalty a step above fandom. But as I said, this is a day and age of no loyalties aside from "ME ME ME"

I read the post I responded to.  I separate athletics from scholastics.  I don't think Harvard's reputation as an academic institution is called into question  if they don't win the Ivy League Championship in any particular sport.  I don't think Stanford, a similar quality academic institution, cares if they lose the Pac-10 every year except for how much money they could have gotten.  I think it is natural to go for the team of the school you went to because there is a connection to it and the players do represent the school.  I think it is much easier for a school to get a bad reputation from athletics than a good one.  I don't think more highly of FSU's academics or UF's academics from each of their 2 championships, but Miami has a reputation of a thug school because of their football team.   I don't know how much people even take that into account either.  

I will repeat what I typed:  I don't think USF winning the big east would improve my Electrical Engineering degree.  More money generated from athletics could improve the popularity of the school as far as people wanting to come here, but the biggest thing is the money generated which most likely would just go back into athletics to support the non-money-making programs and a new stadium and basketball practice facility.  Oh, and that Dining Hall.  I do not think a company will hire me based on the fact my team won the Big East, either.  I think they'll be more interested in what I can do for them, you know, engineering-wise.

Furthermore, just because I go to an institution does not mean I have to support every facet of it.  By your logic I should be a Gator sports fan just because I went there a year.  Maybe they should be my new 3rd team?  I disagree, because I went there for academic reasons, not sports reasons.  You said people must support their school's athletics and I completely disagree.  I think you are too serious about sports.  It is cool to brag about the school you went to winning something big nationally, but I don't think it improves the reason you go to a University:  TO LEARN.

Just because you live in the US doesn't mean you have to support our country in various wars or international competitions either. Just because you belong to a particular church doesn't mean you have to support their members during hardships. Just becuase you belong to a family doesn't mean you have to support them either. It's called loyalty...why do I bother trying to explain it to people who just don't get it.

Go on, wear your gator gear or whatever else you want, do it on campus and by all means write an article justifying it.

Oh and yeah, using Harvard for comparison purposes is just like apples and oranges. Frankly I completely disagree with you. We are 50 years old and for the most part nobody in this country knows anything about us. We will never have the tradition or the respect as Harvard (very few will) so getting our name out there anyway we can and in a positive light does add value to your electrical engineering degree. In addition, the better our teams do the more loyal students actually become, the more loyal they become the more they will be willing to donate as they become successful and the more they donate (to athletics and academics) the better facilities and better professors the school can bring in...the result? Yes, a better academic institution with more national recognition that not only benefits you but benefits all current and future USF students and alumni. So, yes I think supporting another institution over our own is harmful, but hey, you got your degree and by the sound of things probably also have a good career going with it so don't see the benefit to yourself and as mentioned loyalties these days is really all about yourself and screw the rest right?

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

I will repeat what I typed:  I don't think USF winning the big east would improve my Electrical Engineering degree.  More money generated from athletics could improve the popularity of the school as far as people wanting to come here, but the biggest thing is the money generated which most likely would just go back into athletics to support the non-money-making programs and a new stadium and basketball practice facility.  

Obviously you haven't spent much time with any provost from a top collegiate institution that does well in athletics.

You do realize that about 20 Million folks will be watching a FREE 3 hour commercial tonight for the UNIVERSITY of FLORIDA and The UNIVERSITY of OHIO STATE.

Plus, I can't recall the USF President who was around when USF approved the start of their football program...but one of the REAL seasons given was for the school to improve its overall national profile, which would help academic and research exposure for USF.

Many "top" students want to be able to enjoy a "total" collegiate experience...and to many...that means strong academics, lively campus life, social clubs, and SPORTS!

If you can't understand the LINK between ATHLETICS and ACADEMICS/RESEARCH...then you missed the boat.

KL

PS. I'll give you a small hint: Alumni that actually spend more time back on their collegiate campuses...DONATE more $$$$$$ back to the academic side of the school...than those alumni that disengage/don't visit/spend time on their own campus.

Do you know what the #1 campus activity that brings back more alumni than any other event?

ON-CAMPUS FOOTBALL GAMES!!