• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

I heard Rob Stone say its a real possibility on Rock Reilly's show a few months back.  I find it hard to believe after the whole Mutiny experiment, but they didn't bring that US Soccer game to town for nothing.  There is a reason they do things like that, when the game could have easily been played in Boston, Columbus, or San Jose.........

I dunno, they gave it 2 extra years than they really wanted to. I just think the whole Tampa/MLS expirament is done for a good amount of time.

Joe, why then was this game played in Tampa??  It could have been played anywhere.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  79
  • Content Count:  1,260
  • Days Won:  0

Maybe we have a large population of Ecuadorians?

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I heard Rob Stone say its a real possibility on Rock Reilly's show a few months back.  I find it hard to believe after the whole Mutiny experiment, but they didn't bring that US Soccer game to town for nothing.  There is a reason they do things like that, when the game could have easily been played in Boston, Columbus, or San Jose.........

I dunno, they gave it 2 extra years than they really wanted to. I just think the whole Tampa/MLS expirament is done for a good amount of time.

Joe, why then was this game played in Tampa??  It could have been played anywhere.

Theses friendlies are used to find potential sites for home qualifiers.  To properly markey US soccer you dont just want the game in the same major cities you want it to be widespread to bolster support and grow our program.  Also dont read too much into the game being in tampa 3 days later a friendly was played in Frisco, Texas and i dont think the MLS is expanding there anytime soon.  

It's not a bad indication.

Except that the MLS has nothing to do with the national team.  Remember most all of the people that were supporting Ecuador prolly support a European or Central/South American club, not to mention the great probability the a large percentage of the US fans there support another major club somewhere around the world.  Most knowledgeable soccer fans i know support a high calibre club somewhere else in the world and really dont follow the MLS as it isnt elite level soccer.  

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  37
  • Days Won:  0

Theses friendlies are used to find potential sites for home qualifiers.  To properly markey US soccer you dont just want the game in the same major cities you want it to be widespread to bolster support and grow our program.  Also dont read too much into the game being in tampa 3 days later a friendly was played in Frisco, Texas and i dont think the MLS is expanding there anytime soon.  

Uhhh.... Why would MLS expand to Frisco, Texas.  They already HAVE a team.  FC Dallas has played there since 2005. :)

Uhhh.... Why would MLS expand to Frisco, Texas.  They already HAVE a team.  FC Dallas has played there since 2005. :)

Thats my point, the friendly has nothing to do with MLS expansion its just to get the US national team more exposure and develop the chemistry between the team.    

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Looking at the average attendance for the many different clubs (albeit off of wikipedia)... the Mutiny attendance is not any worse or better than other clubs.

They were all freebies and no shows. Some days they would be lucky to have had 1,000 actual bodies in the seats. I believe the team was losing the most money in the MLS and they were being run by the MLS in the end. The MLS was quick to cut them at 1st chance.

Joe what are you basing this on.  I used to go to a LOT of mutiny games when I lived in Tampa, and I don't ever remember only 1K in the stands.  The mutiny averaged between 10 and 15K per game each season, if memory serves me.  So some games they might have had only 5 or 6 K, but not 1 K.  And I think they had over 20K on a few occasions.  You have to remember in a 65K stadium, 10K looks very small.  In a smaller stadium, it would look much better.  They might have had some freebies, but not 10K worth.

EDIT: mutiny average attendance:

1996: 11,679

1997: 11,338

1998: 10,312

1999: 13,106

2000: 9,452

2001: 14,479

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Call TSA and get the gate numbers there were some games with under 1,000 fans.

The Mutiny had something ridicules like 1200 season ticket holders their last season. They couldn't get an owner and they couldn't afford RJS.

Point being, Tampa showed they didn't want the MLS, so they axed the team. The MLS is looking towards Orlando for Florida expansion, I believe they are playing preseason games there this year.

• Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

Orlando?  Where are they going to play, the Shitrus Bowl?