• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Pelphrey to be interviewed

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  545
  • Days Won:  0

LOL, if Tubby Smith is let go after this season, Pelphrey is going to be the guy UK hires?  Please.

I dont know about this guy, we should have just stuck with Mac if we were going to hire the guy from the direcectional school of South alabama.  Here we go again.  

I know...I was fully expecting Coach K, or Roy Williams.

I think a young coach like Pelphrey would be great for our program.  He is the exact opposite on the bench then Ma was.  

In DW I trust.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Why hire a retread coach, I prefer a young gun, such as JP.  Why do some think that hiring a BIG NAME coach that was fired from their previous coaching job is going to turn USF around?  Look what VCU did this year as a prime example of what a young energetic coach can do for a program.  Many have pointed out JP's overall record at USA, however, look at the record from year four and on, its impressive, 24-7 in 2005-06 and 20-12 this season.  Lastly, don't forget USF's budget constraints when it comes to coaches salaries, a big name hire will usually have a staff that will require more money for bigger salaries.  Just my two cents.

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  477

The guy lost close to 60 games in his first three years.

Almost as bad as MAC..

And he plays in Sun Belt.

Pete Gillien is looking better and better every day

Guest Rueben_Horowitz

Rueb. He's at freaking SOUTH ALABAMA. He's NOT getting decent kids out of high school to that school.

And I've posted that numerous times Joe; I know he has to go at the JC players at this point.

My point was that USF is looking at another coach that doesn't have a track record of recruiting kids out of high school...And that is unsettling imo.

I just think it will be another 5yr rebuilding experiment if we bring in some no-name coach from a terrible conference.

• Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,523

You guys aren't in "SEC COUNTRY" so I wouldn't expect you to believe half of the stuff I'm relaying, but the folks I'm hearing this stuff on are the people who are pulling many of the strings with their wallets and like I said, have been DEAD ON most of the time.  We were way ahead on the Saban story well before the rest of the country was here in my office.  Shoot, Bear Bryant used to fish with the uncle of my hunting buddy so he's tied into Bryant "jr" and one thing about the SEC, is they know what's going on behind the scenes at most of the schools.  Alabama is a funny place I've learned.  It's not like Tampa in any way where the majority of people don't have "roots" going back very far.  Here, these families have known eachother dating back to the 1800s and with that comes a network many wouldn't believe.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

You guys aren't in "SEC COUNTRY" so I wouldn't expect you to believe half of the stuff I'm relaying, but the folks I'm hearing this stuff on are the people who are pulling many of the strings with their wallets and like I said, have been DEAD ON most of the time.  We were way ahead on the Saban story well before the rest of the country was here in my office.  Shoot, Bear Bryant used to fish with the uncle of my hunting buddy so he's tied into Bryant "jr" and one thing about the SEC, is they know what's going on behind the scenes at most of the schools.  Alabama is a funny place I've learned.  It's not like Tampa in any way where the majority of people don't have "roots" going back very far.  Here, these families have known eachother dating back to the 1800s and with that comes a network many wouldn't believe.

I'll take living in tampa over alabama anyday

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911

LOL, if Tubby Smith is let go after this season, Pelphrey is going to be the guy UK hires?  Please.

I dont know about this guy, we should have just stuck with Mac if we were going to hire the guy from the direcectional school of South alabama.  Here we go again.  

I think a young coach like Pelphrey would be great for our program.  He is the exact opposite on the bench then Ma was.  

In DW I trust.

Yea...thats exactly what my point was.  i only expect Coach K and Roy Williams.  I hope thats not what you really got out of reading it and were just reacting to the post because I posted it.    

You may think Pelphry will be great for our program and he very well might be but I dont trust a guy to rebuild a Big East program when he goes 36-48 in the sunbelt.  Call me crazy.  Sure its hard to recruit to the sunbeslt but its also hard for his opposition to recruit to the sunbelt.  Seems we should be looking at the guy in the sunbelt with at least a winning record.  

John Pelphry and USF does not make for a desireable place to play bball, IMO.   Maybe Pelphry and Pittsburgh, but not USF.  We need someone with some name recognition and good coaching skills to get the fans and recruits to come.  

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  549

I follow UK Ruger, and I know that a very large segment of their fanbase want Pelphrey bad.  They can see the way he gets his kids to play(with heart, passion) and compare that to the robotic boorishness of Tubbyball.  He gets the most out of his guys and would do the same with BigEast caliber athletes at USF.

The only caveat to hiring him immediately is the lack of experience.  They want to see him work in a major conference first.

I predict Pelphrey and Ford will be big-time coaches ten years from now.  They were both a part of something very special on that team under Pitino, and I think they still carry that magic with them.

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  549

In DW I trust.

Yea...thats exactly what my point was.  i only expect Coach K and Roy Williams.  I hope thats not what you really got out of reading it and were just reacting to the post because I posted it.    

You may think Pelphry will be great for our program and he very well might be but I dont trust a guy to rebuild a Big East program when he goes 36-48 in the sunbelt.  Call me crazy.  Sure its hard to recruit to the sunbeslt but its also hard for his opposition to recruit to the sunbelt.  Seems we should be looking at the guy in the sunbelt with at least a winning record.  

John Pelphry and USF does not make for a desireable place to play bball, IMO.   Maybe Pelphry and Pittsburgh, but not USF.  We need someone with some name recognition and good coaching skills to get the fans and recruits to come.  

Nobody is going to be awed and attracted to guys like Gillen et al.  lol

USF needs a salesman, regardless of experience, that will get people excited.  Pelphrey's playing style and passion will draw people like flies.  Just like it has at USA.

• Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,523

I'll take living in tampa over alabama anyday

Having lived in Tampa 5 years while at USF and growing up as a kid in Bradenton, I know that area well.  I've spent time living in Panama City Beach and Mobile as well and I can tell you; I love Tampa, but no way would I live down there versus up here.  

But that's just me.  I'm into the outdoors big time.  The beaches, fishing/scuba diving (with the exception of the Keys) up here kill that area.  We get a change of season, it may not be much compared to up north, but it's much more than down there.  The traffic is MUCH better.  There's no comparison to the hunting opportunities.  Shooting a deer down in Ocala is like shooting a gerbil and I rather not hunt and be swarmed with ticks and mosquitos the size of F16s.  Plus its nice to see something besides pine trees and flat ground if you aren't on the beach.

With that being said, Tampa is a great place.  I still have family/friends there and I miss going to the Bucs and the Rays games.  I don't however miss the traffic or the ****** customer service.  People actually help you in stores here and people here act like they've known you forever when they're doing it.  In Tampa, every worker hates their job and could care less whether you ever found what you were looking for.  Totally different "mentality" than in the "south".  

I think it helps that I travel alot on business to New York, Las Vegas, Chicago etc. so I get enough "big city" time to remind me why I don't live in one anymore.  Great to visit, not to live in my opinion.  Plus, I'd rather raise a family here anyday.

Both great places, but most people who "dog" this area have never lived here and only go by incorrect stereotypes of the area.  Just like if everyone you talked to said Suit Case City was how all of Tampa was.