• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Different when the NEW B-ball coach hired - why?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  90
  • Content Count:  468
  • Days Won:  0

I'm not trying to turn this into a sarcasm feast. The USF basketball program has been crappy for probably longer than many of you have been alive. They've made it to 2 NCAA tournaments since they became a team in 1971. Both times losing in the first round.

And, with the above statements, I've got all kinds of questions that I'd like people to help answer:

1. Who is the person/group responsible for the new hire?

2. What is being said that  the new coach should do to make USF competitive in the Big East?

3. Why should the fans believe a turnaround will happen simply because a new coach is hired?

4. What type of support is the new coach going to get? (New practice facility, etc.)

Sorry in advance for all the questions, but living so far away it's just too hard to get the real story. I'm sure some of you have _or as least think you have - some of those answers and I'd love to hear them.

Thanks.

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  549

Great questions.

I'm interested in what the folks who wanted Mac gone think of #3.

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  477

Because deep in my heart I don't think that Mac was a very good coach.

And with Gransberry back and the addition of curry into the lineup I think we will be pretty solid next year.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,650
  • Days Won:  424

And with Gransberry back and the addition of curry into the lineup I think we will be pretty solid next year.

Plus the addition of Jones and then Holmes in December ..... hopefully.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,416
  • Days Won:  43

Being in the BIG EAST only is going to attract better coaching candidates to USF. Last time USF was looking for a new coach the candidates were not too strong in my opinion.  There just seems to be more of a buzz around the USF coaching vacancy this time around then there was the last time around. Buying out McCullum's final two years gives me a feeling that certain boosters with money are going to make sure that USF hires a good coach.

Couple of responses and those are greatly appreciated. But, I thought posters would be beside themselves trying to answers to those questions. The problem is...I don't think they are easy questions to answer.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

1. Who is the person/group responsible for the new hire? Woolard, who is considered to be a basketball guy

2. What is being said that  the new coach should do to make USF competitive in the Big East? I'd like to see him go after the best in Florida first, then venture out.

3. Why should the fans believe a turnaround will happen simply because a new coach is hired?  Because this will be Woolard's first hire in the sport he seems to care most about.

4. What type of support is the new coach going to get? (New practice facility, etc.)  Sundome upgrades are already in the works.  The athletic facility is new and I believe the dining hall that Leavitt wants would benefit all sports.  I'm not sure about any other facilities.

Thanks Apis. Good info.

The article that came out about the coaching situation in the Tribune stated that there wasn't a dedicated training facility for the basketball team? That wasn't part of the new sports complex? Or, is that part of the Sundome's upgrades?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Well, the real question is, if we are going to do all these things with a new Basketball coach (committment to winning, facilities, travel, etc.) why hadn't we already made these committments?  And I think that is where jfcohio may be headed.  But that is water under the bridge now.  

I think for most, the firing of RMc became a wakeup call to all that USF Basketball has been in a death spiral since football began.  It was never that good before, but resources certainly have not been applied to basketball as they had when it was the big dog on the block at USF.

I think the only one that can tell us why things will be different is Doug Woolard.  Hopefuly upon our learning of the new hire, we will see Doug Woolard's vision of Bulls Basketball in the next 2-5 years and what he plans to commit to the program.

Until then it is better to remain hopeful than skeptical.  Most believe that this is the singe most important decision of the Doug Woolard era.  

This hiring decision must signal to the Bulls Market that we want to be "for real."  That we are going to do what it takes to win games and open the program to the community.  Big East Basketball in Tampa?  Whoda thunk it and yet, no one really cares.  Instead we ***** about ticket prices.  If we were winning 20 games...well, you know...we'd be paying a premium to see the #4 UConn Huskies against the #5 USF Bulls...

Still dreamin'.