• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Trib: Winning At USF Will Be Long, Expensive Road

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

...  More fans should realize how tough the job is.  Having had relatives in college coaching - none that ever got fired - I know the amount of time and committment one has to be wiling to invest.  Fans take it for granted, thinking winning is simple and everyone should win.  

Agree . . . I have very good friends in college basketball coaching(current & former), and some that have been fired - with winning records.

Especially in college, fans should support the program ... winning will happen with the right coach. USF basketball fans have a great opportunity to show that they want a winner.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  477
  • Days Won:  0

How did bob huggins destory cinci?

What NCAA violations are you talking about?

Poor graduation rates?  Most of his players are transfers or left for the NBA - I am sure you must be thrilled with Mac's graduation rate.

You know what he has a long proven track record of -- winning basketball games.  Something like 15 straight years with 20 or more wins.

Fly me to the moon.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

Alright....Huggins talk can take place on the General Sports Forum, the K-State Board, UC Board or the www.funkyfantasy.com boards.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911

Please stop showing your overall ignorace by using Bob Huggins as the litmus test for successful hoops coaches.  He has a very long, proven track record of NCAA violations, investigations, poor graduation rates, and poor personal decisions (DUI, etc.).  He is a loser as a person and all the winning in the world on a hoops court will not fix that.  

He destroyed Cincy over the long haul and will not last long enough in Kansas to do the same.  Personal integrity means lots in a disposal, instant gratification world.

Go Bulls!

First off, Huggins was a perfect example of how it does not take 4-5 years to turn a program around.  there are plenty others i can use, but he is probably the most recent and popular (had nothing to do with his affilation with usf last year, but take it how you want to).  but comments like yours makes YOU really sound ignorant.  Now I can tell by the thread you posted you are angry Mac has been fired and almost are taking it personal.  Just relax.  

But i would hardly call the 8th winningest active coach in the ncaa a loser.  Also how did he destroy Cincy, when he was there they were always ranked and winning now he is gone they are horrendous.  Your point makes no sense.  And as of right now it really seems he will destroy kansas state as well (sarcasm).  that is a comment by someone who obviously does not like huggins as a person and will say whatever, even if completely wrong just to talk bad about him.  Kansas state has the best recruiting class coming in next year, sold out stadiums, a big time sneaker deal on the verge, got screwed out of the tourney this year, and will be a powerhouse next year.  What are you talking about???

As for the DUI, really, Who cares?  Obviously not America.  Didnt our president get a DUI in his past?  I know plenty of people, young and old, who received DUIs. Im not better than one of them because I dont have one.  Cmon bro.  Im sure you driven a car a little buzzed once or twice in your life.  Put your personal beef and vendetta aside.  noone is talking about huggins to rub it in usf fans face.  Get over yourself and think before you call people ignorant and then post how Cincy is destroyed because of huggins and KState will be too.  Sounds real intelligent.  

Alright....Huggins talk can take place on the General Sports Forum, the K-State Board, UC Board or the www.funkyfantasy.com boards.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

You'll have to excuse some people. You don't get over a man crush that easy...

Guest 1Bullsfan

In other posts, people are asking people to start attending games. That is a heavy question to ask; i.e. similar to Greenberg BEFORE he came to Tampa. He was calling out the fans/students to attend the game, before he put one foot on campus. If you want fans to show up, bring in a NAMED and PROVEN coach, and people will flock..and so will recruits. A mid major coach doesn't necessarily mean success here...just ask previous coaches.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

Ok, I won't use Bobby Huggins as an example - How about Gene Bartow.  He took UAB from nothing and made them into very competitive and regular in the NCAA tournament.

I just feel that in college sports a coach that is really good will make almost an immediate impact in basketball(football is tougher).

I don't expect a final four appearance but when you are at the bottom like USF is an outstanding coach will show improvement very soon and you will know it by the second year.  Maybe not post season but close.

If you want fans to show up, bring in a NAMED and PROVEN coach, and people will flock..and so will recruits. A mid major coach doesn't necessarily mean success here...just ask previous coaches.

This is what it comes down to.  

Hire a no-name mid-major and you ask people to come to games instead of them coming on their own.  No one not attending a game right now is going to show up at the Dome to see yet another gamble taken with the HC position - or wait 2-3 years for that long missing .500 record.  You better land the big fish now, or you'll be the only guy on the pond.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911

My bad, had to defend myself when someone says I am proving my overall ignorance when he obviously cares more about the people who wanted Mac to leave, then the overall good of the university.  And also did not understand my post at all and just tells the board to SHUT UP AND SUPPORT.