• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Makes Basketball Coaching Change

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,433
  • Days Won:  0

When Seth left, I was dancing for joy (yes, I was Sheriff!).

Today, I just feel sad. I'm not sad because of the departure of the staff. Rather, I'm sad because USF men's bball is going to be rebuidling again.  :P

What we rebuild with is what I care... Yugo or Porsche?

zastava_yugo_tempo.JPG

Porsche-Carrera-GT.jpg

Ditto.  I, on the other hand, am a bit sad for Coach Mc.  I know his heart was in it.

Best wishes...Coach McCullum.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

Courtesy USF SID

USF Set to Search for New Leadership in Men’s Basketball Program

TAMPA, Fla. (March 9, 2007) – The University of South Florida will make a change in leadership in its men’s basketball program, replacing head coach Robert McCullum, Director of Athletics Doug Woolard said today.

“When I stepped back and looked at the entire past four seasons, I did not see enough progress in our program over that time. I felt like we should be further along over the four-year stretch. I would like to thank Robert McCullum for his commitment and service to the University of South Florida and our student-athletes.

“We will begin a national search immediately to secure the very best coach for the University of South Florida. We will accept applications, recommendations and nominations and include prospecting in the process. We will move as quickly as possible, and we will be as thorough as necessary.â€Â

[highlight]I really hope the delay was in securing the services of the new coach.[/highlight]

hope we land a good one.

I'd imagine the delay was DW agonizing over the decision... He needs to get someone in here pretty quick to try and salvage what's left of the late signing period and a big man to replace KG.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

Today, I just feel sad. I'm not sad because of the departure of the staff. Rather, I'm sad because USF men's bball is going to be rebuidling again.  :P

I still think we're better off as a program than before and the rebuilding shouldn't be as monumental ..... hopefully.  :-/

• Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574

I'd imagine the delay was DW agonizing over the decision... He needs to get someone in here pretty quick to try and salvage what's left of the late signing period and a big man to replace KG.

What about the coaches that are in the post season?

This is going to get interesting.

Guest BasketBull.

Well, I'm sure USF athletics didn't make this decision without thinking of the next move, including the buy out and so on...

This we do know:

1) as it is, USF men's bball is unsatisfactory to the USF heads.

2) there is X-dollars that USF wants to spend -and I'm sure Big East rates are known.

3) there is some sort of vision of a future for men's bball.

4) USF heads feel that they can make it happen, which is why they pulled the trigger. Don't bullieve it for one moment that this was a one-man decision (our AD's lone voice).

Keep your fingers crossed, Bulls!

• Topic Count:  171
  • Content Count:  996

Best of luck Coach Mac.  I think this will be good for the program, but I am sad because of how outstanding of a guy RMC was. His whole family was first class and he ran his team that way.  Unortunately, that is not the only thing that counts...   I wish him and his family well!!

Lets move on and support our AD and our team.   GO BULLS!!

-Gurly

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  161

Very excited about this news. We were going nowhere fast.  McCollum had to know this was coming. Last talk in the Green n Gold room before Providence game he seemed to be a little retrospective but not resigned. I'm thinking he thinks he did the best he could with what he had. He's a quality guy I'm sure coming out of the Big East he'll be working next year- a less competitive smaller conference.

USF BB has a ways to go before we're competitive in Big East. We'll be paying the price for the Lack of recruiting and failure in player development . It's going to take time no matter who comes in.

I just hope the next guy has more to show after four seasons.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

The University has shown that we care about winning. The Sundome has been empty. That place is amazing when there is a crowd. Maybe there will be some exciting basketball now. This move had to be made. It should have been made a year earlier. I am proud to be a Bull today.

THANK YOU DOUG.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Basketbull, the program has been almost near rock bottom. You can only build up from here. Unlike football, basketball can be fixed in 1-2 years. I think it will take a little while because we need a little more talent and depth to compete at the BE level.

I know they'll make the right decision.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Mixed emotions here.  Certainly sad that a good man had to lose his job.  On the other hand Mac was better suited for the level of conference he was originally hired to coach within at his stage of his career.  It was tough for him to be everything the BE requires.

There are 18 other job openings in D1 as of right now.  Hopefully Mac lands quickly.  Surely there will be more openings as the NCAA and NIT play out.

The more difficult thing now will be for Woolard to hire the right guy for our situation.