• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Since Joe H. brought it up.... Dickie V

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,330
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

No doubt.  Those NCAA appearances are something he holds above all others...back to my point, I wish the success would have continued, but it did not.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

Well coach Paschal did recruit Chucky from what I remember.  Now that guy was a player.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

Note the date: This was written before the 2004 season.

So, what is the point?  Do you think that anything is different?

um yea..it was written 3 years ago..we've had many more losses since then

For the record I am not a mac supporter or a dark sider.  I merely wondered if he thought the job was any easier 3 years later in a tougher conference.  Wonk, wonk, wonk.  

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  128

Please people do not compare Paschal to McCullum.  One of those NCAA appearances was due to winning the auto bid from the Sun Belt Championship where I believe we were not even a top 3 seed in that.  The other one I admit was nice since it was a selection from the committee.

As for being the toughest job I cannot argue that point but at some point you have to be held responsible for the results and if they are not good then it is time to move on.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

Note the date: This was written before the 2004 season.

yeah and the point is the circumstance is worse since the time of the article....

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

Yeah, that was a good run and then we faltered terribly under the same coach.  What was the record his final season?  7-21?  About 7 guys on the team?  Sound familiar?  Would be nice to build some consistent good play, year over year.  We've gotten close, but never been able to turn the corner.  I used to dread us losing a good coach after a few solid years - now I wish we could have that amount of success to have to worry about losing coaches (like in football).

Actually, sandwiched between Paschal's great stretch from 89-92 were two 7-21 seasons.  To date, look where every coach was before they arrived, and what they achieved upon arrival- Lee Rose, Paschal, Greenberg, and Robert McCullum.  All four achieved post season at their respective schools before arriving at USF and none could parallel their successes here, and either sunk into an abyss of losing or started and finished horrendously at USF.  Rose came and was instantly successful but you would be to with Tony Grier, Willie Redden, and Vince Reynolds.  The 81-82 team with Grier, Redden, Reynolds, and a young freshman named Bradley was a fun team, had the first three not all been seniors and been around for Charlie's soph season things at USF might have been a whole lot different.

Pascal started his tenure at USF, 8-20 in 86-87, 6-22 in 87-88, and 7-21 in 88-89, but mind you that was all in the Sunbelt and no moving to the Big East, that's a worse start then Mac.  Granted he went to the NCAA's in his fourth year in 89-90...but the question remains that a team of Holmes, Curry, Gransberry, Amu Saaka (who's really starting to get 'it'), Howard, Bozeman, Cann and Verdejo could make some noise next year.

Get to know USF history and it will shock some.

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  549

...As for being the toughest job I cannot argue that point but at some point you have to be held responsible for the results and if they are not good then it is time to move on.

But move on to what?  Just a new coach?  Just crossing your fingers and hoping that some miracle worker(a la Gillispie) is going to magically turn everything around?  IMO, that's about a .02% chance.  It's a wish and a prayer more than a sensible solution.

I think a main point of all of this is that it's going to take more than a new head coach to make a difference here.  At this particular school, at this particular time, a whole lot more than a head coaching change is needed to make this program a winner.  It's like changing the cufflinks on a horrendous suit.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,330
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Dicke V hasn't changed his position much...

From Brett's article:

"I feel very bad for Robert," ESPN analyst **** Vitale said. "I know he worked very hard. That job is the toughest right now in major college basketball. Playing in the Big East against those traditional powers, I think they need to find somebody that can market and sell this area and make it exciting.

Link

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

usf is a great job and a great opportunity

i was touting usf  when many of you were in diapers

usf basketball has underachieved for decades

expectations were so low in past

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

usf is a great job and a great opportunity

i was touting usf  when many of you were in diapers

usf basketball has underachieved for decades

expectations were so low in past

Ok, grampa you have a point.  For the record though, I was potty trained in the late 60's. :D