• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Too many #$%# Northerners in this town...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  164
  • Content Count:  808
  • Days Won:  0

I have no problem accepting that someone can move from point A to point B and still support their 'original' team ... PARTICULARLY when it comes to college sports (as you have actual ties to the institution that cannot be broken). I wouldnt expect a UCONN grad to move to Tampa and start pulling for USF..

My problem is not that outsiders come in and support their team. There are transplants everwhere.

My problem is that they do it en masse. These types of fans (which I observe to be primarily from up North) come in, gang up, and dominate the local market.  If there are truly THAT many ND grads who love the Tampa area so much...i mean, maybe they should move ND down here?

It's simply unfair to people who support a team in the local market to have to compete with that.

But I mean, really...if you are a graduate of a college thats, what, 2000 miles away and you bring more fans to a basketball game than the local school..you need to start asking yourself some questions.  Is there a freakin conspiracy going on or something? I mean COME ON

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  574

College and pro are completely different.  I grew up a HUGE Terps fan in MD.  Most of my friends went there and I went to USF.  Now, I still like U of MD sports, I guess.  But, I don't follow them at all.  I follow USF, because that is my school and that will always be with me.

But, lets say I moved to San Diego in 5 years.  I would at that point be 34.  Still pretty young. And if I decided that was going to be my permanent home I am sure I would probably start following the Tampa teams less and less and start really getting into the Chargers and Padres.

That is what happened when I moved here from Maryland.  I don't hate the Orioles, Capitals, Redskins (well I kind of do now, because I hate Dan Snyder), or the Wizards.  The Orioles and Caps are in the same division as the Bolts and Rays so there is starting to be a little bit of a rivalry formed between me and my friends back home about baseball and hockey and its all in good fun.  But, I now follow the Tampa teams religiously, especially the Rays because I am such a big baseball fan.

But, please don't think I would ever support another school over USF. That concept is completely foreign to me.  I don't know how you justify rooting against your school's team, because you grew up liking another school.  Pro sports, I get the different views even though they don't match mine. But, the college one....you need to check yourself and realize what college athletics mean to your university and show some school spirit.  You didn't root against your high school team, why would you root against your college team?

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

My problem is that they do it en masse. These types of fans (which I observe to be primarily from up North) come in, gang up, and dominate the local market.  If there are truly THAT many ND grads who love the Tampa area so much...i mean, maybe they should move ND down here?

Isn't that the type of fan that many on this baord are hoping jumps USF's way in the next few seasons...Of course there are millions of ND fans, it's the predominant Catholic university in this country. Not to mention the most pretigeous program when looking at tradition, championships, players, coaches, etc.

It's simply unfair to people who support a team in the local market to have to compete with that.

Life isn't fair. I think it's more of a testament to the fans in the local market...Sorry you find it unfair. I'm sure Indiana fans find it real unfair when Ohio State comes in and has 35,000 fans in their 55,000 seat stadium.

But I mean, really...if you are a graduate of a college thats, what, 2000 miles away and you bring more fans to a basketball game than the local school..you need to start asking yourself some questions.  Is there a freakin conspiracy going on or something? I mean COME ON

No, Syracuse basketball averages over 20000 fans a game. They're committed. Why can't they come to a game (and bring friends) in an area they live? I would hope USF fans attend the basketball game close to their house if it's possible.

I think my point is being missed entirely.

"Life is not fair". Wow...thank you so much Joe for your eternal words of wisdom.

The core issue is that you have demographic X moving en masse to whatever given area.  In this case, its generally northerners moving to Florida.  Instead of adhering to the "when in Rome" rule of thumb, they impose their "back home" mentality in the local area.

This is fine in reasonable numbers....but the mass migration of northers to Florida isnt really considered "reasonable" in my opinion.

But in this case, you have droves of ND fans who apparently all LOVE the Tampa area...but they show up in numbers to root AGAINST the LOCAL team?

Pro sports...I have no sympathy. Sorry, but if you love your Yankees that much...I mean really, go back to NY.

College sports I an understand more if you have ties to the university.  But still, if you're in that "demographic X", you should be honorable enough not to root against the local team.

Will they do it? Yes. Do they do it? Yes. Is it so terrible that Im gonna pack my bags and leave Tampa to escape it? Of course not. But all I know is BOY DID IT FEEL GOOD TO SING "NAH NAH NAH NAH, HEY HEY HEY, GOODBYE!" to the SOBs!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827

;D Nice to make friends with you Shoop.

And if you haven't found it already, Raysbaseball.com is a great forum for Rays fans.  Stop by the forums sometime and say hi.

Some of the most knowledgeable people I have talked to about baseball post there.  Discussions go all the way down to every level of the minor leagues.

I am a huge Rays fan and I learn a lot there.  ;)

Dude. Ive been looking for a Rays forum since......well, forever. Thanks!

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  44

I just say if anyone actually thinks they have the right to tell someone who they are allowed to root for and who they are not, this person has personal issues and are as close minded as any human can be... I mean thats like telling someone what girl to like... come on...

aint nothin wrong with stickin with ur roots..

And sometimes for more reason then one u cant go to the university of ur choice..

Even better point, someone mentioned this on the last page.. For the sensitive USF fans.. Some of u are so quick to tell people who root  for FSU/UF/UM/OSU  that they are wrong..  If u met a kid who goes to UF that is a diehard USF bulls fan, are you gonan tell him he needs to go root for his gators and he has no right to root for the bulls??? I highly doubt it, u would probably embrace him.... If someone feels a personall allegiance to another school/team, so be it.. Dont waste ur energy criticizing them, cause it prob wont get u anywhere...

• Topic Count:  79
  • Content Count:  1,260

Not trying to stir the pot....but I wonder how many of these viewpoints translate over to discussions on immigration. Should ppl be encouraged to assimilate to the new nation, or just hold on to the old?  :o

Not trying to stir the pot....but I wonder how many of these viewpoints translate over to discussions on immigration. Should ppl be encouraged to assimilate to the new nation, or just hold on to the old?  :o

lol, dont get me started

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  574

lol, dont get me started

Yeah, me either.

Lets just say I had a few words with people at work during the World Cup this year.  >:(

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  594

I just say if anyone actually thinks they have the right to tell someone who they are allowed to root for and who they are not, this person has personal issues and are as close minded as any human can be... I mean thats like telling someone what girl to like... come on...

If you're married to one girl, I certainly would tell you it's inappropriate to be interested in a different one. And yet that's what happens when you cheer for a school that isn't your alma mater.

If you like a college team, you should attend that college. If you don't, clearly you're really not that big a fan. If you can't get in, that team has just rejected you. If you continue to follow them, it's like asking a girl out who says "you're not good enough for me" and yet still following her around like a pathetic little dog.

If you can't be with the one you love, honey, love the one you're with.