• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Too many #$%# Northerners in this town...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  164
  • Content Count:  808
  • Days Won:  0

I just read the post about the Syracuse chant at the bball game. I think this is a major issue that runs deeper than just a basketball game or two.

My wife and I went to Barnacles to catch an away USF game this past season, and you could barely find a TV with it on. They place was loaded with fans of other teams though. (Ohio State is the one i REALLY remember...they were everywhere).

The only thing I can really say about it is RIDICULOUS.  Im sorry, but if are THAT many of you that love your "home" team THAT much, then move the #$%$# back.  No kidding, the market is flooded, primarily with fans of NORTHERN teams.. It makes me so angry think to think of the weak souls that are all like "waaah, im cooold" so they move down here with their freakin Ohio State/Yankees/Red Sox shirts. ARGGH!

Im from Georgia, but I live in Tampa because its one of about 3 places in the entire US where I can do my job. Dont tell me these people moved down because they "had" to.  If you move down here because you like it, then support the local economy.

Not sure why this urks me so much...but I was fighting mad at the USF-ND game.  

Freaking northerners. Go back from whence you came.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  309

>:(

You're from Georgia and you complain about other transplants living in Tampa.  Wow!

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

This happens with a lot of sports in Tampa, from baseball to hockey, even the Bucs had their problems back in the mid 90's. Given the state of USF basketball, combined with the Big East it's little surprise that this is going on.

Many Devil Rays divisional games are just a chance for life-long Yankees or Red Sox fans to come out and cheer on the team they grew up watching.

I think it's easier for the transplants to embrace a new team when that team is actually winning.

>:(

You're from Georgia and you complain about other transplants living in Tampa.  Wow!

#1 - I work at US Central Command and have a job that requires I live here

#2 - Once I got here, I decided to support the local teams

My complaint is not against those who have to live here (military folks, for instance)...my complaint is against those who A) Choose to live here AND B) Continue supporting their "home" teams over the local teams.

This happens with a lot of sports in Tampa, from baseball to hockey, even the Bucs had their problems back in the mid 90's. Given the state of USF basketball, combined with the Big East it's little surprise that this is going on.

Many Devil Rays divisional games are just a chance for life-long Yankees or Red Sox fans to come out and cheer on the team they grew up watching.

I think it's easier for the transplants to embrace a new team when that team is actually winning.

You speak the truth

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

I lived in Tampa for 11 yrs and now live in Chicago. I still bleed green and gold. Job mkt here is way better for me than in FL.

I wear USF gear all the time.

I will not all of a sudden start supporting Depaul becuse I moved to Chicago.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,785
  • Days Won:  3

Hmmmm.....interesting situation.

I have a buddy - grew up in Pittsburgh - moved here in '78 to go to USF (his folks had retired and moved to Florida, as was the custom back in the day). However, his formative years were spent north of the Mason-Dixon, and he never really 'left'. He has three degrees from USF, but only follows USF sports marginally. He follows Pitt football, Pittsburgh Steelers at the pro level, and the Pirates in baseball. No interest, other than passing, in the Bucs, Bulls or Devil Rays. Not an alumi associaiton member or a season ticket holder. And, I've run across a lot of folks who are the exact same.

Tampa is a repository for snow bound 'fugees. They grew up in Ohio, Michigan, New York and migrated south, but just never did shake their early infulences - and never embraced the new digs, probably ,because deep, down inside...Ohio and Michigan and New York are still 'home'. Even though they've been here 20 or 30 years, they're still quick to tell you "I'm from [insert state here]", it's only later that they tell you they've been here for twenty-odd years, they make is sound like they moved down just a few weeks back.

I'm fortunate in that I live in the city in which I went to college. I can imagine the inconvenience of having to follow your school from a distance (unless, again, it is OSU, Michigan, Texas, etc.).  I wouldn't want to try to follow the Bulls from Monroe, North Carolina. Then again, just cause I move (hypothetically speaking) back to Monroe, doesn't mean I'd become an ECU Pirate fan simply because they're the local team. I have no obligation to do so.

*and if USF every played at NCSU, Duke, Wake Forest, UNC, East Carolina...I'd be there in the Green-n-Gold.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  309

Nice post WoolyBully

I guess Griggsy will root for ECU though if he gets sent to Ft Bragg...his post is nothing more than a slam against northerners...

Griggsy--face reality you are living in Tampa--if you want to get away from northerners move to Valdosta or Perry.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911

When i go away or am In tampa people always ask me where i a from.  I say tampa, then i get there is no way your accent is from Tampa and i have to explain originally NY.  So i call tampa home but it is conditioned in my accent and way of life I am from new york.  If you forget where you come from you will never get where you are going.  

as for the rant, i mean cmon man if it wasnt for the transplants (from everywhere) florida wouldnt be half the state it is.  Half of the little cities wouldnt have jobs or hard roads yet.  You should be proud people find where you are from a desireable place to live.  

A) I choose to live here and B) I do not support the bucs, rays or lightening and i dont see a problem with that.  What you have to understand is that a lot of us transplants have instilled in our memories watching sport with our families.  i can still remember watching the 86 Mets win the WS with my Grandfather and how fun it was.  I still remember watching the Islanders win 4 stanley cups when i was a toddler and happy it made my father.   I remember the Jets being the worst team ever and when people ask who we liked we would say "the God awful Jets".  you think i or anyone is going to give up their memories and change their team perference like a flip of a switch. Not a real fan.   Life is more than sports, people choose to live in florida for education, employment, weather, family, etc. etc.  Not sports.  So miniscule I cant see how you can let it bother you.  

As for college fans, if you attend usf, you are now a part of usf and should give up your old team or support them both.  For example, i am no longer a st. johns basketball fan since usf joined the big east, i pay attention but t is a conflict of interest.  Anyway its not a big deal.    

Guest r_to_the_izzo

Are you the same guy who calls people who were born and raised in the Bronx, but living in Tampa for like 3 years Yankee bandwagon fans?