• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Too many #$%# Northerners in this town...

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,076
  • Days Won:  469

I just read the post about the Syracuse chant at the bball game. I think this is a major issue that runs deeper than just a basketball game or two.

My wife and I went to Barnacles to catch an away USF game this past season, and you could barely find a TV with it on. They place was loaded with fans of other teams though. (Ohio State is the one i REALLY remember...they were everywhere).

The only thing I can really say about it is RIDICULOUS.  Im sorry, but if are THAT many of you that love your "home" team THAT much, then move the #$%$# back.  No kidding, the market is flooded, primarily with fans of NORTHERN teams.. It makes me so angry think to think of the weak souls that are all like "waaah, im cooold" so they move down here with their freakin Ohio State/Yankees/Red Sox shirts. ARGGH!

Im from Georgia, but I live in Tampa because its one of about 3 places in the entire US where I can do my job. Dont tell me these people moved down because they "had" to.  If you move down here because you like it, then support the local economy.

Not sure why this urks me so much...but I was fighting mad at the USF-ND game.  

Freaking northerners. Go back from whence you came.

I think the libs call people like you "regionalists."  Shame on you.   ;)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,076
  • Days Won:  469

Win, win consistently, win BIG and enough transplants become fans.  Its simple; not easy.

With all due respect, I do not believe that at all.  I have been here 3 years and seen some good ASU teams - but never, never, would I be a fan.

Ask the Sheriff if he lived in Gainesville (an impossibility in itself) if he would follow the Gators "if they won consistently" - not a chance.

It's a tough deal.  When we win, there will be people jumping on the bandwagon, but those are not gonna be the guys that have followed their school for years.  My humble opinion.  Now I will read the rest of the thread.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  79
  • Content Count:  1,260
  • Days Won:  0

While I understand where the sentiment comes from, I have to disagree somewhwat. I get the point about supporting the local team when they are professional. If there is a local football, basketball, or baseball team and you live in the city...it's often your tax dollars which provide for their stadium. That team helps shape the national identity of the city you PRESENTLY live in. Therefore, while I get why you still love your original "home team"...it's kind of self-defeating to not support the team that represents the town you've chosen above all others..to live in and spend your dollars for.

College sports are a whole different ballgame. If you are an alum of a school...that name stays on your diploma wherever you go. If I lived in Louisville, KY and someone told me I couldn't support my Bulls anymore...I'd tell them to stick it. Being the alum of a school gives you a personal stake in the success of your institution. It travels with you because it is more than a place or a logo. Those who are into pro-sports alone have a hard time relating to this kind of loyalty. Although it drives me up a wall to see nothing but Gator and Nole stuff in Manatee county (BULLS country?)...I can't honestly expect their alums to jump ship just because they're in the Bay area now. My personal pet peeve though, are those ppl who never spent one day in a school..and yet are rabid fans. Such as Joe Car Mechanic in Ruskin who bleeds orange and blue because "my grandaddy wanted to be a gator and got me hooked".... But that's another story and I digress...  ::)

• Topic Count:  164
  • Content Count:  808

While I understand where the sentiment comes from, I have to disagree somewhwat. I get the point about supporting the local team when they are professional. If there is a local football, basketball, or baseball team and you live in the city...it's often your tax dollars which provide for their stadium. That team helps shape the national identity of the city you PRESENTLY live in. Therefore, while I get why you still love your original "home team"...it's kind of self-defeating to not support the team that represents the town you've chosen above all others..to live in and spend your dollars for.

College sports are a whole different ballgame. If you are an alum of a school...that name stays on your diploma wherever you go. If I lived in Louisville, KY and someone told me I couldn't support my Bulls anymore...I'd tell them to stick it. Being the alum of a school gives you a personal stake in the success of your institution. It travels with you because it is more than a place or a logo. Those who are into pro-sports alone have a hard time relating to this kind of loyalty. Although it drives me up a wall to see nothing but Gator and Nole stuff in Manatee county (BULLS country?)...I can't honestly expect their alums to jump ship just because they're in the Bay area now. My personal pet peeve though, are those ppl who never spent one day in a school..and yet are rabid fans. Such as Joe Car Mechanic in Ruskin who bleeds orange and blue because "my grandaddy wanted to be a gator and got me hooked".... But that's another story and I digress...  ::)

You're right.

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

Someone mentioned moving to Chicago and still supporting USF. If I were to move outside the state as an alum (say, Atlanta)...would I support Georgia Tech over USF? Of course not.

The difference I think is that I dont think USF fans are going to overtake the local market in Atlanta to the point that Ga Tech sports programs will suffer.  If USF played Ga Tech in basketball, you're not going to outnumber THEIR fans.

Not sure how (or if) this is a 'problem' that can really be fixed. But it sure feels good to gripe! Either that, or maybe I can just move into a tent out in the country.

So what yoe are saying is it's ok in ATL because the alums there support Ga Tech and in Tampa they don't support the Bulls enough.

Last week ND played Depaul in Chicago. It sounded like a home game for ND.

U of I and ND get way more pub here than Depaul does because their alums demand it.

We have tons of alums in the bay area and need to get them and future alums to support our teams.

• Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  2,307

I've been in Tampa for almost 6 yrs now and I still do not follow the Bucs and Devil Rays.  I grew up cheering for the Yankees and occasionally the Giants so that is the team that I will cheer for.  Telling someone that they can't cheer for the team they grew up with plain stupid.  I will never be a Devil Rays fan, they're not my team, and IF they ever start being a decent team I will not follow them.

Tampa is a bandwagon town, however, when Northeners have teams they will follow them for life.  That's what a real fan is, one that will follow them through think and thin.  I can guarantee you that IF the D-Rays turn good all the Tampa natives will be the ones bandwagoning, saying they've followed them for years.

Guest r_to_the_izzo
Im with you Griggsy...people who still root for their "home" town team sicken me.....I was born and raised in Pittsburgh, but have been down here for over 10 years.  How anyone can root against the home town team is beyond me and in my opinion truly does show they are bandwagon fans.  Oh, the Devil Rays suck so Im going to still root for the yanks/sox/etc... Its pathetic.  And hey, you can have your old memories (I still remember the back to back stanley cups with Lemiuex and Jagr...and the Pirates going from horrible to division winners during the Bonds/Bonilla/Van Slyke days)...but guess what thats the past...now I get to be part of memories of the Lightning stanley cup, and the Bucs superbowl win...and the frustration of being a Devil Rays fan.  Thats what a true fan is....

You either dont care about sports or are a dumbass. I dont give a **** where the hell I live, I will root for the teams I grew up rooting for. Just because I live in Tampa doesnt mean I HAVE to be a D-Rays fan.

If anything you are the exact opposite of a true fan. If you pack up and move to Miami, are you going to become a Dolphins and Panthers fan? If you move to Atlanta are you going to root for the Falcons and Thrashers?

Do you see how ******* retarded you sound by saying what you are saying?

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

face it technology - like this board makes it easier to be able to follo your teams from a distance

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  44

I think the "u live here therefor u must root for us now approach" is very stupid as well..

I am on for staying with ur roots and rooting for the team u have been rooting for despite where u move. Now, rooting against the team of the area u relocate to just because u wanna piss everyone off is somewhat uncalled for.

It seems we are referring more to pro teams, but i obviously practice this thru all of my sports choices. I have taken some heat on this board for my choice of college teams to root for.. I am a die hard buckeye fan till i die, but i def without a doubt root for usf when they play, and go to a larger portion of sporting events then most students at usf...

So again, i support the staying with ur roots despite where u move.. But just dont be that guy at a football party in tampa that is the only one who week in and week out, roots for whoever the bucs are playing..

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  574

I agree 100% with supporting the home pro teams.  I moved here from the DC area 6 years ago and am now a Bucs, Bolts, and Rays season ticket holder or partial season ticket holder.

I could care less about the Redskins, Orioles, Capitals, and Wizards/Bullets.  I chose to leave DC and move to Tampa.  I asked for a transfer at work and it was granted.  I was headed to George Mason to finish up the last 2 years of school when that transfer went through and I ended up at USF by default.  USF is now one of the biggest passions in my life and I am a proud alumni.

I can't ever see myself leaving the Bay area.  I am no longer even with the company I transferred with.  

Saying all of that. I don't have a problem with people rooting for their schools over the local school.  That makes total sense.  I do have a problem with students in the student section rooting against the Bulls though.

And the pro teams, I really don't get.  Pro sports to me is about civic pride. These teams represent a local area on a national stage.  They are a part of the communities in which they reside. How the residents of a city could show up in mass to root against a local team is beyond me.  It disgusts me and it ruins the sporitng event for the local fans.  I hate going to the Trop when the Yankees/Red Sox are in town.  I find myself wanting to punch half the people in their face.  Especially the ones that bring their kids decked out in the road team's gear.  They are robbing them of what they supposedly love.  A hometown team to grow up with.  

Some of my best memories as a child are of going to Orioles, Redskins, and Capitals games with my Dad and uncles to root on the home teams.  I don't think I would have grown up to be the sports fan that I am if my Dad only took me once a year to root on some team from another town in the home stadium.

My Dad was down here last year for a game against the Red Sox and he was in disbelief. He couldn't believe the amount of and obnoxiousness of the Red Sox fans.  He was even talking trash to them even though he has no ties to Tampa other than his son and daughter in law living here.  He was exctatic when DC got the Nationals as it had been so long since the Senators had left and he had his own baseball team again. He kept telling the people that they don't know what they would be missing if the Rays were to leave town. He lived it with the Senators.