• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coach Fernandez

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

exactly joe, welcome to the world of not being UF in the state of FL.  With that being said Fernandez does have some significant sweat equity in this program, and USF has bred a few coaches like him that have taken stock into this is their baby.  Maybe he can get USF to commit just enough to compel him to stay.

But right now why debate, they haven't mentioned candidates and quite frankly I don't see how Jose would be on the top of their list, and UF maybe not get the top pick, but they usually don't drop to far down their list of coaching choices before they get their man, or woman.   This will be no exception and I doubt Jose would be in their top 5 right now.

truth be told Jose was a massive thorn in Carol's side recruiting FL and a reason that hasn't helped her career.  Add in the recent successes of FSU women and it's a sport that's very difficult to have three dominant teams in one state.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest r_to_the_izzo
they could come after him, but i don't think he leaves, he loves this program too much, and he helped build it up from the ground, no way is he going to leave it just when it has turned the corner.

Your love of the school is blinding you here. Very rarely do you get a guy like CJL who stays at home, and thats because he knows he can achieve the national success here at USF.

Combine the small budget with the even smaller support for womens B-ball, its tough to keep a good coach at home. He will follow the $$$ as well as the lure to have a winner that is supported.

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103

if you noticed over the past two home games, the crowds have been bigger, nearly all of the lower level was filled for both games.  the support will come over time, as winning does cure everything.  and marketing is getting better, i see the signs around campus that advertise both the mens and womens games, they also put up flyers in different areas of campus to support the womens team.  If Jose wants to win a national championship i feel that the best way for him to get there is through USF.  and i would be more than thrilled to take your money flsportsfan83, when you are proved wrong and he is still our coach next season

• Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574

I would say....

yes and yes.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

if you noticed over the past two home games, the crowds have been bigger, nearly all of the lower level was filled for both games.  the support will come over time, as winning does cure everything.  and marketing is getting better, i see the signs around campus that advertise both the mens and womens games, they also put up flyers in different areas of campus to support the womens team.  If Jose wants to win a national championship i feel that the best way for him to get there is through USF.  and i would be more than thrilled to take your money flsportsfan83, when you are proved wrong and he is still our coach next season

If he is offered the job at UF he will take it.

• Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  2,307

I agree with most people on here, IF he's offered the job I think he'd take it.  There is no support for womens' bball here, sure the crowds have increased A BIT, but they are far from filling out the lower bowl, there are seats everywhere.  I just don't think USF is ready for a successful WOMEN'S team.  Hopefully UF doesn't offer and he can stay here, because if they do offer he'd leave.  Money makes the world go 'round.

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

I think Jose gets a new contract after this season, regardless whether he gets into the mix for the UF job.

BTW....Foley took a chance with Billy Donovan 10 years ago.  Jose has a lot similarities in terms of recruiting abilities and coaching style. I hope USF finds a way to keep him but it's not something we can even begin to compete against Florida.

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

I agree with most people on here, IF he's offered the job I think he'd take it.  There is no support for womens' bball here, sure the crowds have increased A BIT, but they are far from filling out the lower bowl, there are seats everywhere.  I just don't think USF is ready for a successful WOMEN'S team.  Hopefully UF doesn't offer and he can stay here, because if they do offer he'd leave.  Money makes the world go 'round.

Let's keep in perspective, support for womens sports is low at most schools, not just USF. IMO, we need to see his team deep in the tourney before the average Tampa area fan may be curious enough to attend a few games.

He has a wonderful shot of doing that this year.

• Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  1,479

I think Jose is great and I hope he stays. But I agree for the money we get out of it, we cant sink too much money into a head coachs salary for WBB. Also, we are in a different position than we were when Jose got the job, its a little more attractive than the hornets nest he walked into so we could get a good candidate IF he leaves(which I hope he doesnt).

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

Let's keep in perspective, support for womens sports is low at most schools, not just USF.

Really, has anyone looked at UF attendance this season?  I have.  Games under 1k, some in 2k range (not many as I recall).  Probably an average around 1500-1700 +/-.   If anyone goes there it will be for the money not the big crowd.