• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

CFN on USF: USF Football on Verge of Exploding

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  164
  • Content Count:  808
  • Days Won:  0

From their preseason round ups at http://cfn.scout.com/2/613763.html

26. South Florida   2006 Record: 9-4

Why to get excited: Talk about a program on the verge of exploding, USF has gone from non-existent to a player in a major conference with its first bowl win, a dominant victory over West Virginia, and a nine-win campaign. Only six players are gone off the Papajohns.com Bowl two-deep depth chart with sophomore-to-be QB Matt Grothe a star to build rally around and the defense certain to be among the best in the country.

Why to be grouchy: There might not be many personnel losses, but they're relatively big ones. Starting receivers Ean Randolph and S.J. Green, along with TE Will Bleakley, are gone from the offense, while star linebackers Stephen Nicholas and Pat Green, along with SS Jerramy Burnett, are off the D. USF can't sneak up on anyone anymore; this is now the type of team everyone will bring its A game for.

The number one thing to work on is: Punting and kickoff returns. Sophomore Justin Teachey had a rough year, but the punt coverage team didn't help him out much as the Bulls netted an abysmal 30.03 yards per punt. Taurus Johnson has to give the kickoff return game some more pop after USF averaged just 17.58 yards per try.

Biggest offensive loss: WR Ean Randolph

Biggest defensive loss: LB Stephen Nicholas  

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Pretty accurate.  Randolph will be missed more of a return guy then a wideout.  We have depth at that position, and I'm not worried at all.  Basically he only averaged about 4 catches a game, so its easily accounted for.  The two LBs are going to be the biggest losses, but we all knew that going into this past year.  Add in Burnett, and three of our leading tacklers are gone.  We should be able to replace Burnett without a beat, but Nicholas and St. Louis could be an issue.  Moffitt and the coaches will need to teach these young LBs so it'll be interesting.  

We need to change our punting style, because a net of 30 yards per punt flat out stinks.  I blame the style more than anything else.  You just can't boot a ball deep when you use that rugby style.  Put the blockers in a normal formation and let Teachey boom it away.  If he can't do it, get someone who can.  

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Im really sad about losing Pat Green   :(  He was a key to our LB core  :(

;D

The name was so far off i  ;Ded when i read it

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

pat green? :-?

mackenzie(hope)

spires (as good as advertised)

robinson (will he step up)

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293

i guess the writer might be a country music fan.

i dont know how you get green out of st louis?

We need to change our punting style, because a net of 30 yards per punt flat out stinks.  I blame the style more than anything else.  You just can't boot a ball deep when you use that rugby style.  Put the blockers in a normal formation and let Teachey boom it away.  If he can't do it, get someone who can.  

It's not like there is much that can be done with the style.  Our punters had problems with the snaps until Teachey started punting... but I am willing to bet that he can't physically punt in the normal style (as a place kicker, he's used to a more-sideways leg swing).  If USF can bring in a good punter, or maybe if the punters on staff can handle punts better -- then we can get away from Teachey and HIS rugby style punting.

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928

Kaboom..............

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

Who the hell is Pat Green ;D

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

meh, next season WILL explode for us.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,911

Lets remember how horrible the stats were BEFORE Teachy took over. Teachy, on the year, had pretty decent numbers. Not as good as years past, but not bad considering the position we were in.