• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Build it, will they come? Pack the Sun Dome?

Guest BasketBull.

Guest BasketBull.

Here's the question: Would a Big East-winning men's bball program (above .500 in the Big East), bring in 8,000 to 9,000 fans every home game?

I guess that USF team would be a top 40 program (I'm guessing here).

-----------------------------------

It's all about economics. If the fans come, then there's money to finance such a program. If not, it's another drain on the already tight athletic budget. I think those crowd numbers would support a fat paycheck...

Putting money into football was/is a nobrainer. But does it make sense (cents!) to stretch the athletic pocketbook to invest in round ball?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,492
  • Days Won:  13

I think we could reach that average in Conference play, It will be hard to get that many fans to see us play B-CC or FAU. I think if we were good .500 in Conference play or better, and knocking off the big boys people would come. I mean look at the UCONN game last year. That was the best atmosphere I have ever seen at the Dome.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574
  • Days Won:  0

That was the best atmosphere I have ever seen at the Dome.

I was at that game...

However, the UF game in 2001 (for me) had the best atmosphere.

I was at that game...

So I hear, I was still in HS in 01 though

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

It would probably take a few years to getr back to that level, but if we start winning and the games become meaningful then we will get the fans.  I think we may have some building blocks to win.  if we can play competitive games where they are somewhat exciting and where the outcomes are not known before the gsame is played.

With the schedule we play and the in conference teams we have, there is no reason we cannot draw upwards of 7500 to 8000 cosnsistntly simply because of the quality of BB in the Big East.  It is Big Time Basketball.  If we rise to a consistently level of competitive play the fans will come.  

It would probably take a few years to getr back to that level, but if we start winning and the games become meaningful then we will get the fans.  I think we may have some building blocks to win.  if we can play competitive games where they are somewhat exciting and where the outcomes are not known before the gsame is played.

With the schedule we play and the in conference teams we have, there is no reason we cannot draw upwards of 7500 to 8000 cosnsistntly simply because of the quality of BB in the Big East.  It is Big Time Basketball.  If we rise to a consistently level of competitive play the fans will come.  

agree 100%

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

^^^^Yes...the UConn game was amazing.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I was at that game...

No doubt, it was great until UF started hitting all those shots in the second half.

^^^^Yes...the UConn game was amazing.

we had to wait in line to get in...... there must have been 300 students in line 2 hours before the game. When they openws the doors we had to run to our seats. Reminded me of sitting in GA seats at the Orange Bowl when I was growing up.

The basketball program drew larger crowds in 1989 - 1993 ... it wasn't a 25-win team either... a lot of 18-10, 16-12 kind of teams... playing against Old Dominion, Western Kentucky, Virginia Tech (pre-Big East), etc.

I think if USF can put together a team that is .500 in the league, and .750 or better in OOC games, you'd see 6000 - 7000 fans no problem...

I must say, however, that the students these days don't seem nearly as excited as they used to.

For example, most of the student sections last night actually STOOD for the whole game.  When I was first in school, the students sat -- because that made it easier to bang on the boards with our feet.

We were LOUD the entire game whenever our opponents had the ball... banging on the wooden floors of the lower level... screaming and yelling... there were times where it actually hurt the Dome was so loud (I remember a Louisville game that was amazing, poor Denny Crum.)

That didn't happen last night.  And it's a shame.

Maybe if the program starts winning, the fans will become fans again - instead of spectators.