• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF v. Auburn - #7 OOC Game of the Year

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

http://www.nbcsports.com/cfb/852528/detail.html

Looks like there will be no sneaking up on anyone any more, especially after we tame the Tigers.

"7. South Florida (9-4) at Auburn (11-2), Sept. 15

South Florida is big-time, and that ain't no Bull. After shocking West Virginia in Morgantown last November (and crushing Louisville the year before), USF and quarterback Matt Grothe are now as inconspicuous as that bull in the china shop (or as Borat in an antique shop). The Tigers obviously meant to schedule Florida Atlantic or Florida International (clerical error) and chances are Tommy Tuberville is already blaming ESPN for this matchup."

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I love the props being given USF.  I don't think, however, that Auburn is going to be taking us lightly.  We will have to be at the top of our game with them.

It will be a great game, to be sure.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

yeah, we might even be ranked so probably no sneaking up on them.  nice press, though.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,386
  • Days Won:  10

I don't know.  They would be smart to take us seriously, but I don't think we command that kind of respect yet from teams with that kind of history.  I hope I am right.  We are still young enough where we can use the advantage of being "Where Florida??"

I also agree that this could be our coming out party.  Beat Auburn and L'ville or WV again (have to get two of those three) and I would say we show up big on radars.  But if we beat Auburn and lose to both L'ville and WV, and Auburn will be seen as a fluke.  It is really hard to earn big respect with a young program and a directional name.

I have no doubt we will get there and sooner rather than later.  But with a young program like ours, you will always get a "yeah, but..." until we knock down giants consistently.  God, I hope I don't sound like smazza ;)

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

baby steps folks....

last yr we started by beating a highly ranked team at home that probably took us lightly - they kicked our tails the prior season

we then looked like crap the next week at UM - think the team got ahead of themselves with all the publicity from the lville win

this yr we beat a team that probably over looked us as we got our tails kicked the week before - but i love the fact that our team who struggled on the road didn't quit and took it to WV in their house

this time we had a month off and a lesser opponent the following game and we were able to carry the momentum against ECU

now this team will have to learn to deal with expectations of being a possible top 25 team and will have to win in a hostile environment at Auburn

we caught wvu at a great time right after turkey day when many students were out of town - we held them to fg's early and then selvie scored and the crowd was never in it except for the time when miles scored the long td

seems like in big games against big name bcs teams we have started like crap and never recovered (Ark, PSU, UM, USC)

time to buck another trend and continue to grow and get another monkey off our back

beating NC was nice but they were awful this yr

we need to beat a big time BCS team (OOC) to get additional national attention especially from the pollsters

Guest BasketBull.

I see this as an easier test then the one 2 seasons ago up at Penn State. That was the first game out of the gate and we had no idea what kind of team we would have.

This time, I think the odds are not so stacked up against us. Still, I would not be surprised if USF will be underdogs by 7 or 10 pts.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

No doubt in my mind when this game was scheduled it was supposed to be an easy "W" for Auburn.  I believe this is our last "pay-day" game(except UF) - one on the road with no return.  Coaches may understand but you can bet the players will still be thinking we are Auburn - USF  - who are they ?  All the SEC fans have already put this one down as a "W" for Auburn.   I think they will be in for a big suprise.  But lets not forget we have three games before this.

Auburn will be favored, and other than the game against WVU, USF has has a lot of trouble as road underdogs.

Still, USF has a two-game road winning streak (and a 3-game home winning streak)... we have a lot of experienced starters coming back (so does Auburn)... and we are getting more respect.

If USF can put the game plan together, limit mistakes (turnovers and penalties), and be strong on defense - then it can win the game.  USF doesn't need a perfect game win, but the closer to perfect, the easier it will be to win.

Moreover, a win against Auburn will show USF that they can play with anyone.  It will signify to the world that we are here.

A loss to Auburn will not be damaging, however, as it will be expected.  It is also out of conference - and can be used as a foundation for the Big East games.  Woe be to UNC if USF loses to Auburn the week before.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

No doubt in my mind when this game was scheduled it was supposed to be an easy "W" for Auburn.  I believe this is our last "pay-day" game(except UF) - one on the road with no return.  Coaches may understand but you can bet the players will still be thinking we are Auburn - USF  - who are they ?  All the SEC fans have already put this one down as a "W" for Auburn.   I think they will be in for a big suprise.  But lets not forget we have three games before this.

slgiht correction, it's 2 games before auburn.  http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&KEY=&ATCLID=611637&SPID=2981&SPSID=60910

even if we lose to auburn we should start 4-1, unless UCF upsets us.

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

I'm surprised Auburn hasn't tried to back out of this game.  I know they are having difficulty filling their OOC schedule, but a lot of times "big time" programs like to cancel OOC they could lose and replace them with cupcakes.