• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mustain leaves Arkansas

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

this kid needs to grow up and stop listening to his Mom about football.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Well lets see.

His high school coach, the reason he recommited to Arkansas was basically kicked off the staff of Arkansas after 1 season

He went 6-0 as a starter yet was benched for a guy who threw for 28 yards in their biggest regular season game.

Has had several tifs with the head coach about things that turned out to not be his fault (he was acting under orders of the assistants).

I don't blame him. Yes his Mom stepped in, but this was after Huston Nutt refused to hear Mustain out. The Nutt messed this situation up.

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078
  • Days Won:  0

i havent had time to check up on that situation, did Arkansas really push Malzahn out the door??

that is crazy, if true.  Arkansas had one of the msot innovative and efficient uses of talent in the country last year.  

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,086
  • Days Won:  172

good for the kid

he should go where he will be happy

arkansas looked great after usc game

why would they let Oc go????

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Mitch Mustain, the stud QB recruit from last year? And he's leaving for Tulsa?? Holy crap, talk about lucking out!

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Well lets see.

His high school coach, the reason he recommited to Arkansas was basically kicked off the staff of Arkansas after 1 season

He went 6-0 as a starter yet was benched for a guy who threw for 28 yards in their biggest regular season game.

Has had several tifs with the head coach about things that turned out to not be his fault (he was acting under orders of the assistants).

I don't blame him. Yes his Mom stepped in, but this was after Huston Nutt refused to hear Mustain out. The Nutt messed this situation up.

I'm sure that's only one side of the story.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Basically Nutt wanted Mustain, Williams, and Cleveland (the latter 2 were UF commits) Mustain decommitted and was seriously close to committing to Notre Dame.

Fearing losing three of the top players in the country, who had all played at the same high school he knew they all were very very close with Malzahn, their high school coach.  To get them to come to Arkansas he hired Malzahn as offensive coordinator, despite not really liking his spread offense.

During the season a lot of what Malzahn wanted to do on offense was vetoed by Nutt, causing a lot of tension between Nutt and Malzahn/his players.

In the South Carolina game, following Malzahn's orders Mustain checked up to a play that Nutt didn't want ran, he threw an INT and was benched after one pass for running the play.

That was the straw that broke the camel's back. While the coaching staff should have never put Mustain in a situation where he would defy the head coach, he claims to have thought that was Nutt's order.

That's the story I got.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

hope NUTT remembers the ASU coach / qb debacle cost him his job.

he better put up 10 wins this year or else...HOT seat.

his QB better perform or else...HOT seat.

in the same div as lsu, aub and now ALA with saban he better step it up...

my guess NUTT is gone in two years.

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

ND had already dropped Mustain from their list of QBs if I recall correctly.  They had already gotten verbals from Zach Fraser (PA) and Demetrious Jones (IL) and weren't about to have Mustain come in at the last minute to shake things up.  They were already making headway with Clausen too for '07  

By the way, the last thing I've read on this Mustain situation is that he's still enrolled at Arkansas.  So he's probably not going anywhere............