• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What happened to Leslie Stirrups?

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

you don’t know him.  you don’t know if he even committed the crime.  You know nothing about his life, socioeconomic status, or the situation, yet you are so quick to judge. (unless you 2 are old pals, or know more than you read online)

Ah...yeah...even Greg Auman wrote about how stupid Stirrups was and how he got caught:

http://www.sptimesphotos.com/blogs/usf/2006/08/more-thoughts-on-stirrups.html

When I called Pearl River Community College, where Stirrups was set to play this fall after failing to qualify academically at USF, coach Tim Hatten was blunt: This was not the kind of activity he'd tolerate in his program, not the kind of character he wanted to bring to Mississippi. Unless the charges go away very quickly, Stirrups has no place on his team. The easy reaction is that it's slightly hypocritical that one day after he takes Carlton Hill off USF's hands, knowing he's had a recent arrest for possession of marijuana, Hatten says he wants no part of Stirrups and his error in judgment. With Stirrups though, the issue is greater, because it attacks a coach's ability to trust the young man. If he's willing to steal from customers of a business that employs both himself and his own mother, what conscience would stop him from stealing from a teammate's locker? What's truly mindless in all of this, both funny and sad at the same time, is how Stirrups got caught: With both cameras, police say he took a few pictures of himself and friends before pawning them, never deleting the images. So when police were able to recover the cameras, they saw the post-theft pics and showed them around at the parking lot office. Of course, they could identify him; he worked there. It's the kind of silliness you normally laugh at while reading Carl Hiassen novels.

His six felony counts are remarkably similar to another USF signee who failed to qualify academically and wound up at Pearl River three years ago, a linebacker named Gene Coleman. We chronicled his problems last spring in a story about how college programs rarely do any kind of background checks on recruits; with Coleman, he'd burglarized a neighbor's home, with more than $13,000 in jewelry stolen. Again, not the smartest criminal mind, police said Coleman had stolen a $40 Wal-Mart gift card straight out of a Father's Day card, and was later identified on store surveillance cameras as he bought video games. The neighbor never got her wedding ring back, but still told a judge she didn't think his actions should take a college scholarship away from him. This might not be the end for Stirrups. Coleman managed to avoid jail time in his case, and would probably be at USF today had he been able to get his academics straight at Pearl River. This is Stirrups' first known arrest, so it's reasonable to think he could get a plea agreement lowering the charges to misdemeanors -- the low end of the range for third-degree grand theft is $300, and he's barely above that on both sets of charges. He'll have to find a junior college willing to take him, then he'll have a year or two to show enough for a Division I program to trust him with a scholarship, all while solving the academic problems that have limited him so far.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,080

I think it sends the  wrong message to reward a felon with a college scholarship when there are plenty of youngmen who keep there noses clean who would love the chance to play football for USF.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

I think it sends the  wrong message to reward a felon with a college scholarship when there are plenty of youngmen who keep there noses clean who would love the chance to play football for USF.

he stole a few cameras.  that doesn't make him the devil.  everyone that burns dvds is a felon too.  ever download music and/or movies?  hum...

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

he stole a few cameras.  that doesn't make him the devil.  

Devil? Doubtful. Deserving of a $100,000 College Scholarship? Heck NO!

As others pointed out in this thread...aren't there HS players out there that HAVEN'T been arrested for felonies and have CLEAN records?

I think Greg made a good point in his article in August when he said this about Stirrups: "If he's willing to steal from customers of a business that employs both himself and his own mother, what conscience would stop him from stealing from a teammate's locker?

As others pointed out in this thread...aren't there HS players out there that HAVEN'T been arrested for felonies and have CLEAN records?

I think Greg made a good point in his article in August when he said this about Stirrups: "If he's willing to steal from customers of a business that employs both himself and his own mother, what conscience would stop him from stealing from a teammate's locker?

everyone makes mistakes.  stealing from a company does not mean you will steal from teammates and friends.  get over it.  go monitor your own players.  

he stole a few cameras.  that doesn't make him the devil.  everyone that burns dvds is a felon too.  ever download music and/or movies?  hum...

1.  He's a THIEF... a dumb one to boot.

2.  He did poorly in HS...he couldn't qualify for admission to USF.

It sends the wrong message to reward someone like him a college scholarship when there are  youngmen  who have keep there noses clean and worked hard to do well in HS.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,496
  • Days Won:  13

everyone makes mistakes.  stealing from a company does not mean you will steal from teammates and friends.  get over it.  go monitor your own players.  

WHAT WOULD YOU SAY IF STIRRUPS WAS A UCF SIGNEE

1.  He's a THIEF... a dumb one to boot.

2.  He did poorly in HS...he couldn't qualify for admission to USF.

It sends the wrong message to reward someone like him a college scholarship when there are  youngmen  who have keep there noses clean and worked hard to do well in HS.

1.  you should also reward people that atone for their mistakes.  stealing a few cameras was stupid, but that doesn't say much about his character to me.  it doesn't make him a klepto.  

2.  so we should get rid of all the people that didn't qualify at first?  want to get rid of mike ford?

Everyone isn't a THIEF.

Everyone doesn't illegally copy music, movies, and softwear, though it sounds like you probably do.

Everyone isn't a THIEF.

Everyone doesn't illegally copy music, movies, and softwear, though it sounds like you probably do.

well i'm glad you don't.  continue to buy all of those cds.  oh, and it's software.  you must be old.