• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mike Ford in, Mo Plancher out?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

Ponton COULD be the biggest disapointment so far in the short history of USF football

Then you've got to ask yourself what you expected out of Ponton?  He was never confused with Hall or a great back.  Ponton has a nice burst, is a hardnosed runner with ok footwork and movement.  He's as hard a worker as we have and actually has a good attitude despite what others suggest.

Who knows he might decide to follow McCollough to BCC this year because Plancher did legitimately beat him out- Plancher is really good as a smallish scat back type, durability will be an issue- and with Ford here for spring practice and the freshmen coming in not to mention Dorsey you've got to guess Ponton's seeing some writing on the wall.  Can't fault him for that.  I never expected Ponton to be a 1000 yard rusher for USF, although had he been eligible at the beginning of the season and out of the dog house his value would have been huge in games like KU, UCF, FIU, and Rutgers.  Not enough to tear up those teams, but enough to keep the offense more balanced and defenses honest.

He's a good all-around player and hard worker so I hope he sticks it out but if not given the depth at RB starting to build I can understand why.  

Good reminder that Plancher beat Ponton out.  I'm excited about our depth at what was before our weakest offensive position.  Great recruiting job so far.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Ponton COULD be the biggest disapointment so far in the short history of USF football

Then you've got to ask yourself what you expected out of Ponton?  He was never confused with Hall or a great back.  Ponton has a nice burst, is a hardnosed runner with ok footwork and movement.  He's as hard a worker as we have and actually has a good attitude despite what others suggest.

Who knows he might decide to follow McCollough to BCC this year because Plancher did legitimately beat him out- Plancher is really good as a smallish scat back type, durability will be an issue- and with Ford here for spring practice and the freshmen coming in not to mention Dorsey you've got to guess Ponton's seeing some writing on the wall.  Can't fault him for that.  I never expected Ponton to be a 1000 yard rusher for USF, although had he been eligible at the beginning of the season and out of the dog house his value would have been huge in games like KU, UCF, FIU, and Rutgers.  Not enough to tear up those teams, but enough to keep the offense more balanced and defenses honest.

He's a good all-around player and hard worker so I hope he sticks it out but if not given the depth at RB starting to build I can understand why.  

he never got out of leavitt's dog house

ponton is finished as usf

• Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

All of them will battle it out in the spring, and whoever is best will win the spot.  Case closed.  

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

^yes, especially after Birmingham.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I think Ford or Plancher (doesn't matter which) will make themselves look spectacular merely because of improvement by the O-line. Not to say the O-line was terrible last year, but we only have one guy that truly was experienced.  So, I think that with an improved set of running backs (even if only slightly improved. We'll never know.) The running game should be if not great,then atleast solid.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

I wouldn't be suprised to see Williams on the field, especially in passing plays.  He did a pretty good job blocking.  He made a huge block during the WV game that allowed Matt the time to throw for a TD.  He was on the right side and flew across to the left and cut down one of the WV rushers that would have crushed Matt before he got the pass off.  Game changing blocks don't go unnoticed and it was a game changing block.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

I think Ford or Plancher (doesn't matter which) will make themselves look spectacular merely because of improvement by the O-line. Not to say the O-line was terrible last year, but we only have one guy that truly was experienced.  So, I think that with an improved set of running backs (even if only slightly improved. We'll never know.) The running game should be if not great,then atleast solid.

Our RBs will not look like world beaters in the spring 'cuz the D'line is more talented than the OL.  We may see some glimpses of talent but I'm predicting a dominating middle with the front 4's speed and Moffet at MLB.  Getting around the corner will be tuff also with our experienced & fast CBs plus the safeties.  If the new OLBs are anywhere close to above average, this may be USF's best defense without any question.

One thing about RBs at USF, nobody has rec'd the green light from game one.  It took Hall until the third game at TCU to take over & Dyral McMillian didn't become the man until the third or fourth game.  But one good thing is the Mid Majors USF is opening with again.