• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

FAU game stadium

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

It remains to be seen how many fans we will get to travel about 4 hours (one way) for an opponent like FAU....How many did we have in Orlando (an hour away) for our rivals ::) from C-USA?

We had over 5,000, and your point?  I think it's not inconceivable we could bring 5,000 and FAU will be gearing up for this home game.  If they can get 15k committed for our game it would make sense.

Why do you have a problem with this?  Why do you think it's not possible when FAU has done it before for other BCS opponents?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I think Dolphins Stadium has been used to get teams to come give them a home game. See Oklahoma State in 2005.

They are playing Minnesota at Dolphins Stadium on 9/15, I can't see the school springing the extra money to play another game there when USF is content playing at Lockhart (as it was not part of our agreement)

Unless this game sells out relatively quick it will be at Lockhart.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,911

Can someone confirm that Lockhart will even exist by that time next year? Last I heard it was going to be torn down.

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757

Thanks for the directions HaulingBull!

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19

It remains to be seen how many fans we will get to travel about 4 hours (one way) for an opponent like FAU....How many did we have in Orlando (an hour away) for our rivals ::) from C-USA?

We had over 5,000, and your point?  I think it's not inconceivable we could bring 5,000 and FAU will be gearing up for this home game.  If they can get 15k committed for our game it would make sense.

Slightly off topic.  I think there were even more than 5k USF fans at the game in Orlando.  I live in Orlando and was there.  I'm new at this and at the time did not realize to buy my ticket thru  USF Athletics.  Instead I bought my ticket at the stadium.  I wonder how many others did the same.  As I recall, the announced attendance was about 46k and there were a bunch of Bulls fans representing on the whole visitor's (East) side.  Proud to be a Bulls dad.  Go Bulls!  

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Look for the game to be moved to Dolphins Stadium and tied in with a major national musical act performance postgame.

OOOOH!  ASHLEE SIMPSON PLEASE!!!

• Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,097
  • Days Won:  1

Can someone confirm that Lockhart will even exist by that time next year? Last I heard it was going to be torn down.

I cant confirm anything, but I do know that Fort Lauderdale Stadium (home to Orioles Spring Training and directly adjacent to Lockhart) is going to be renovated sometime over the next few years.  I thought once when I saw the rendering that it meant that Lockhart would be demolished....but don't quote me on that, things may change.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,080

I cant confirm anything, but I do know that Fort Lauderdale Stadium (home to Orioles Spring Training and directly adjacent to Lockhart) is going to be renovated sometime over the next few years.  I thought once when I saw the rendering that it meant that Lockhart would be demolished....but don't quote me on that, things may change.

Posted on Wed, Dec. 20, 2006

FORT LAUDERDALE

Fort Lauderdale balks, and Orioles may walk

Late in the game, Fort Lauderdale has spurned an offer from the Baltimore Orioles, likely pushing the team to look for a new spring training home.

BY ANI MARTINEZ

armartinez@MiamiHerald.com

The Baltimore Orioles, who have used the Fort Lauderdale Stadium as their spring training facility since 1996, will have to shop around for a new home away from home.

After years of negotiations, the Fort Lauderdale City Commission on Tuesday rebuffed a deal that would have rebuilt the aging Fort Lauderdale Stadium and replaced Lockhart Stadium with practice diamonds and soccer fields.

The team tried to make a final counter-offer, but commissioners refused to hear it.

''The incivility and lack of collegiality led to a tidal wave that had nothing to do with this offer and swept three years worth of work,'' said Bernie Friedman, an attorney representing the Orioles. ``We stand ready, willing and able to come back for a special meeting.''

The Orioles' contract will keep the team in Fort Lauderdale for spring training in 2007, but that could be it.

''We haven't looked anywhere else, but there are other cities that this would mean a lot to,'' added David Romanik, also an attorney representing the team.

``Studies show a spring training facility will produce $25 million a year for a city. I think the problem we are having here is that $25 million doesn't mean as much to Fort Lauderdale as it would to a smaller city.''

Without the agreement, the city will forfeit $15 million in state sales tax rebates set aside by the Legislature to encourage teams to stay in Florida. To get the money, the deal would have to be signed by Dec. 28.

The state, Broward County and the Orioles would have primarily funded the stadium, which would continue to be owned by the city. The county signed off on the agreement last week. But the team's request that the city set aside a fund for yearly repairs, maintenance and improvements sidelined the deal.

On Tuesday, the pact voted down by city leaders called for $150,000 annually from city funds toward paying off the bonds that would be issued to finance the $41 million project.

They also would contribute the team's $350,000 annual stadium lease fee, for a total of $500,000.

Mayor Jim Naugle and Vice Mayor Cindi Hutchinson were the only ''yes'' votes. Naugle called the vote ''a short-sighted move'' by the commission.

''They want a full first-class facility and now they could end up in Arizona,'' Naugle said. ``Then what are we going to do with an aging stadium? We are going to be stuck paying for that stadium.''

Another sticking point for commissioners was the planned demolition of Lockhart Stadium, which has long been used by high school baseball and soccer teams. Although it would be replaced with four baseball diamonds and an open field for soccer or other sports, stadium manager Mike Roland had his doubts.

''The destruction of Lockhart Stadium would mean that a future attempt for a team to hold a soccer championship would have to be held somewhere else like the Orange Bowl in Miami,'' Roland said.