• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Congrats Big East:  5-0!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

Arguably number 2? Are you kidding me?  And just who did the Big East take a back seat to this year?  No one.  

Arguably, the Big East is the top conference of `06.  The Big East not only had the best bowl record, but also had the best out of conference record during the season.  Michigan proved the Big 10 to be the season's most overrated conference with the SEC a close second.  The ACC was horrible this year (when Wake and Ga Tech are your best teams, you know there's problems).  Who does that leave?  The Big 12, okay but nothing stands out about them over the BE this year.  The Pac-10 was a one team conference.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Arguably number 2? Are you kidding me?  And just who did the Big East take a back seat to this year?  No one.  

Arguably, the Big East is the top conference of `06.  The Big East not only had the best bowl record, but also had the best out of conference record during the season.  Michigan proved the Big 10 to be the season's most overrated conference with the SEC a close second.  The ACC was horrible this year (when Wake and Ga Tech are your best teams, you know there's problems).  Who does that leave?  The Big 12, okay but nothing stands out about them over the BE this year.  The Pac-10 was a one team conference.

Sorry, but I have to agree with MikeG on this one. I think we certainly proved we're worthy of our BCS distinction this year. However, I don't think the Big East is the best football conference because of our collective out of conference schedules this year and because we need to keep winning consistently to garner that distinction. As much as I hate to say this, I'd say we're the 4th best BCS conference behind the SEC, Big 10 and Big 12. Besides USC, the Pac 10 really didn't impress me, and the ACC had a down year.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  174

I disagree with your opinion completely. THe Big East needs to improve it's OOC scheduling over time.

Sure-- we had nice records and a good bowl showing. But who did we all really play other than ourselves? It's such a stretch to say we are better than the SEC or Big Ten and possibly even the Pac 10.

You can choose to disagree--but you are setting yourself up for a lot of arguments with college football fans who understand the level of play we are now just approaching-- we are not there yet, not as a conference. But we have definitely gotten ahead of the ACC and Big 12 this season. Take that to heart and hope we can maintain that at the least. We can definitely go higher and do more things. But getting a swelled head over this year and overinflating the importance of what was done is foolish and unwarranted.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  174

bottom line-- we are not the Big Leasgt aqnymore-- so let's take that in stride as if we expected it the whole time and let our team's field performance going forward make the media and other conference recognize what we are capable of.

Just remember=--- a few years ago-- the MAC had a huge year and everyone in the media was buzzing about MAC teams. Things change-- didn't hear that about them since that season

• Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

Congrats Big East, but look at who we beat:

Kansas State

Georgia Tech

East Carolina

Wake Forest

Western Michigan

Its good that we won those games because we were favored in all of them.  Not exactly murderer's row of teams.........

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

The murder's row were those team's opponents

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  1,241

yea we didnt beat anyone good in the bowl games because our bowl tie ins are horrible, i cant wait until these contracts run out and we get some better bowls, we should have something like the gator every year, and our #2 should be another one on about that same level, the texas bowl showed potential, and the international bowl would be ok if we could get a different opponent in there, the papa johns bowl was a mess though and i doubt it lasts

either way it was a good year for the big east, were probly 3rd or 4th among conferences this year, not bad but not as good as some of our fans think, showed a lot of promise for the future though, and have at the least assured that we wont lose our bcs status, plus we kept most of the coaches

it would be nice to get a 9th team for scheduling reasons, that and the bowl situation are the biggest problems for the conference, at least talent on the field isnt an issue

what would be really nice is if we could get the outback bowl away from the big 10, unlikely, but if they got first BE pick after the BCS game, i would think it would be pretty attractive for them, knowing that it would probly be either WVU, Lou, Rutgers (who all travel well) or USF, who obviously would bring a lot of fans because its here. Have the gator as our #2, then the texas bowl (or the sun if we could keep it, doubtful)

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

someone want to give me the case for the big-12 being a better conference than the big east this year?  I'm not seeing it, so please convince me.  I would put the big east 2nd over the big 10, but I don't think there's much difference between those 2.  we only have 8 teams but 6 were bowl eligible and if not for our bad bowl ties would have had 6 go to a bowl and most likely pitt wins because their opponent would have been even easier.

as much as I hate to admit it, the SEC was probably the best conference this year, even if they are overrated (imo).  but it's not hard to argue the big east's case for the 2nd best conference.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

bottom line-- we are not the Big Leasgt aqnymore-- so let's take that in stride as if we expected it the whole time and let our team's field performance going forward make the media and other conference recognize what we are capable of.

Just remember=--- a few years ago-- the MAC had a huge year and everyone in the media was buzzing about MAC teams. Things change-- didn't hear that about them since that season

those MAC teams were all senior ladened, with one or two stars and not very deep.

the BE is solid and young so i do not expect us as a league to go in the tank over night.

also i would rather have a "weak" occ and have 5 year of nice looking records and several teams in the hunt late in the year

than to go play "hard" OCC and have NO BE team in the NC discussion late in the year.

this will help more with recruiting than what the "media and real football fans " think

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

THE BE IS STATISTICALLY the best conf THIS year.

show me numbers that say different

ave rank of all teams in the conf.

wins per team

occ winning percentage

and finally bowl record

what stat says we are not the best conf. (i know about perception, but lets talk numbers)?