• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

C-USA a BCS conference?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

There not are they?  In the porgram of the Bowl game there was the sections about the conferences.  It said C-USA was a member of the BCS are they?

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

I believe that in the last round of negotiations that resulted in an extra game being added, the other conferences became "BCS members".  However, while they might make that claim, they do not get any auto-berths unless they have a team that is ranked higher than a certai level (14th I think).  Nobody considers CUSA to be BCS but CUSA.

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

yep that is the way that Boise State got into the BCS

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  348

I believe that in the last round of negotiations that resulted in an extra game being added, the other conferences became "BCS members".  However, while they might make that claim, they do not get any auto-berths unless they have a team that is ranked higher than a certai level (14th I think).  Nobody considers CUSA to be BCS but CUSA.

Good explanation Mike, but you missed a very important part of the new contract.  Beginning after the '09 year all conferences will be evaluated in several categories (OOC wins, conference strength, Bowl winning %, and others) to determine the automatic BCS conference bids.  It is possible for any of the current conferences (BE, ACC,SEC, PAC10, B10, B12) to lose the automatic berth and C-USA (among others) to pick it up.

However you probably have a better chance hitting the lotto, twice.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

8th i bullieve

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Good explanation Mike, but you missed a very important part of the new contract.  Beginning after the '09 year all conferences will be evaluated in several categories (OOC wins, conference strength, Bowl winning %, and others) to determine the automatic BCS conference bids.  It is possible for any of the current conferences (BE, ACC,SEC, PAC10, B10, B12) to lose the automatic berth and C-USA (among others) to pick it up.

However you probably have a better chance hitting the lotto, twice.

It's a lil different than that, it is possible for one of the conferences to lose their bid, however, no conference has to repalce them. Just as another conference could be added without any other conferences losing their bid. The BCS Bylaws allow as little as 5 conferences and as much as much as 7 conferences for autobids.

• Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574

I believe they have to be in the Top 12 in the final BCS rankings (for all non-"bcs" conferences) or they can be in the Top 16 if the top school from one of the BCS conferences do not make the top 16 in the BCS rankings.

I'm like 100% sure about the first part... 50% sure on the second part.

If anyone wants a good laugh... read how UCF sells their "bcs" affiliation.  They mention ND in it.

Really... it's funny.

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Yes, all conferences are BCS "members", even though currently the top 6 conference have "automatic" qualification, and the other 5 conf. do not.  They can access the BCS by being in the top 12 or 16 as stated above, and that is why they can claim to be a BCS member, but in fact, they do NOT have an automatic qualification.  There is a wide gap between the top 6 conferences and the "non" BCS conferences, so although it could change (who gets the auto bids), it won't.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

CURRENT  BCS CONFERENCES would never stand losing their bcs status after 2009

never happen