• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tickets Sold, 4,400

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Days Won:  0

I'm all for better marketing with one caveat -- are we trying to get blood from stone here?

pre-sales wojuld most likely benefit those most likely going already in the first place. I guess a handful more might be able to swing it from a cost basis. But you are asking quite a lot from the semi-weak fan base we have to expect that to be the magical move that changes things.

Mike I think it can work because it will be a lot easier for somebody to convince some friends to go to the game when they have a few months to plan it.  I could have fielded a few calls to some of my fraternity bros to purchase and donate travel packages to the undergrads.  I'm not talking about a simplre pre-sale but a real effort to get the students moving.  Is not going to magically change things, but even if we get a few hundred people more to the game it will still be worth it.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

I'm all for better marketing with one caveat -- are we trying to get blood from stone here?

pre-sales wojuld most likely benefit those most likely going already in the first place. I guess a handful more might be able to swing it from a cost basis. But you are asking quite a lot from the semi-weak fan base we have to expect that to be the magical move that changes things.

to me the bottom line is simply this-- people have got to WANT TO GO. Not be coaxed-- want it, need it, have to have it. We need to whip up a fever for this program and that is not a month of advertising before the bowl game-- it's a 24x7 job and a commitment from all the die hards already on board to push USF all the time.

It's going to take alot of things-- significant wins (plural), great seasons (plural), rankings, national respect, and TIME. No matter how much we want it-- it takes time.

so keep the faith-- do whatever YOU can to make it better and above all else, don't get discouraged. We'll get there.....someday.

Another great post:  building  a fanbase takes time.

Its useless to get discouraged if you are already a diehard. More and more people are catching on every year. Next year should be a very good year.

A great home schedule...and a tough but winnable game at Auburn.

Oh btw...

1997 - 2,661  

1998 - 3,979  

1999 - 3,145  

2000 - 3,227  

2001 - 2,871  

2002 - 3,659  

2003 - 5,852  

2004 - 3,560  

2005 - 7,527  

2006 - 4,773

I think the numbers we have look at are from 2004 and 2006.

2005 attendance was based on a great home schedule

However the 2004 and 2006 home schedules were very similar in terms of appeal, yet look at the numbers. Despite a similar slate we had more students in 2006 going to games. That is growth! Over 1200 more students attended games despite similar schedules. Not bad.

Next year I would not be surprised if we average close to 10K students.

add in 18K season tickets and we are starting the yearat ~ 28K fans w/o walkups and other team's travelling fans.

Short term success for me is averaging 42K/game and getting our season ticket base to 20K which I think is very doable by 2010.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I am honestly suprised if this is really the amount of tickets that have been sold.

I don't buy the whole "it's two days before Christmas" BS.  I am going to the bowl game--spending my entire bday in a car driving there.  Not only that, but I HAVE to be home by evening on the 24th since my family always celebrates Noche Buena (Chrismas Eve) and not really Christmas Day.  And get this--I'm not driving back after the game.  I'm staying in B-Ham, spending money since that's what the bowl people want.

My family would kill me if I'm not home by dinner time on the 24th.  I am leaving really early on the 24th and will make it in time.  So all this 2 days before Christmas crap pisses me off.  If I can do it then MANY others can.  They jut have to sacrifice having to wake up early to drive.  Big deal.  

The only reason I can see people not making the bowl game is if they already had previous plans that could not be cancelled, of it they just did not have the money to attend.  I'm still at USF, so money is not something I have floating around--thank God for credit cards.

Ok, I'm done now.

Mag,

While your situation is extreme you must understand that some of us don't have the those options. I see my family very little (I'm in Ohio, they're in Florida), I'm at the beginnings of starting a family (with a wedding to help pay for), and I don't get off for Christmas break until Friday the 22nd at 5pm.

While I probably could get away with rerouting my airline ticket via credit card (it would be a rediculously higher amount for both my fiance and I to do so), and spending 2 less days with my family, and well it would be a major inconvience.

I respect those who have gone out of their way to make it Birmingham, I wish more on these boards would respect those who cannot. I have seen my family for a grand total of 7 days since January, I am limited onb my days off because I've been at my job less than a year, and I have to take the expenses into mind.

I'm sorry I cannot make the bowl game, and I am glad to those who have made the sacrifice. It's just not prudent for me this year.

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  959

yummm nocha buena. roasted pork, black beans, cuban bread...........

i would hope most bulls fan would at least put forth an effort. i am flying back the night of the game to appease the family life.......  

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Some people the date as an excuse, but I do find it to be a valid reason for some people not to be able to attend. It's not the greatest time to play, nor the greatest city to play in. I am sure it's tough for families to plan a trip during that time period. We seem to have a pretty core group of people going and we have to build off of that.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,981

Hey Joe, I don't think too many people are frustrated with fans like you.  You have a solid reason for not making it.  It is the fans that could care less about the bowl game that frustrate us.  

• Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  2,307

Hey Joe, I don't think too many people are frustrated with fans like you.  You have a solid reason for not making it.  It is the fans that could care less about the bowl game that frustrate us.  

Exactly.  I completely understand your situation Joe.  But like Moises said, I'm referring to people that make it an excuse when it really shouldn't be an excuse.  Everyone knows that bowl games are played during the holiday season, so even if the bowl game was the 28th, people would probably pull the "it's too close to New Year's" excuse...which some did last year.

I would love if all our fans were like you, Joe.  You really want to go, and you even considered it with a giant leap in price.  Again, I'm talking more about people that automatically say they won't go because it's "too close to a holiday" or that say it's not feasible.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  173

I'm just thankful that our first bowl wasn't in Hawaii but in Charlotte. I cannot imagine how low the turnout would be for a trip to that location this time o year-- it must cost so much to do that.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

Oh btw...

1997 - 2,661  

1998 - 3,979  

1999 - 3,145  

2000 - 3,227  

2001 - 2,871  

2002 - 3,659  

2003 - 5,852  

2004 - 3,560  

2005 - 7,527  

2006 - 4,773

I think the numbers we have look at are from 2004 and 2006.

2005 attendance was based on a great home schedule

However the 2004 and 2006 home schedules were very similar in terms of appeal, yet look at the numbers. Despite a similar slate we had more students in 2006 going to games. That is growth! Over 1200 more students attended games despite similar schedules. Not bad.

Next year I would not be surprised if we average close to 10K students.

add in 18K season tickets and we are starting the yearat ~ 28K fans w/o walkups and other team's travelling fans.

Short term success for me is averaging 42K/game and getting our season ticket base to 20K which I think is very doable by 2010.

Except we won a lot more in 2006, and we were in the big east.  Oh, and grothe was exciting.  I do agree that attendance should be good next year.  Hopefully better than 2005 but that year we had FAMU.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

Last year for the Meineke, I bought 3 tickets for me and the family.  This year I bought 16 to improve upon last year so that the USF fan base can compete.  Its absolutely pathetic that my effort is pointless because not enough other people are going above and beyond.  >:(:'( >:(

i did my part 2tix going to the game  and 2 extra donated to the students.

can someone tell me why the AD did not spend 0.35 cents to send an invittation to all season tix holders to buy there season tix number even if they can't make the game...sometimes that reminder to do what many of us did would be helpful. keeps your base "informed" and ask for support at sma e time.

also why did the allumni asso not send out a letter saying support usf by buying a few tix?

and why not send a letter to the students?

these are "captive" audiences, that should be in a mass mailing database somewhere, but usf NEVER has asked for their support in times like these. WHY NOT?!

at $30 a tix a 1% response breaks even again why not!