• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tickets Sold, 4,400

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

The real acid test for your program will be when you do make it to a "real" bowl game, whether it's a BCS game or the Gator.  Little Wake Forest is about to sell out their 17,500 ticket alotment for the Orange Bowl.   They only have 55,000 LIVING alumni.  That's when USF will come under scrutiny from the BE and the rest of college football.  Until then, just sell as many as you can and try and build that fanbase up.  I'm also disappointed we'll only have 6-7k there.  We could have actually made a statement at this game in the stands.

JP, how many of your 6-7K are going to stuffed animals with purple jerseys on ;D ;D

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Hopefully we get a chance to go under that scrutiny sooner than later.  I have faith that the hype of something that grand would get ALL the bandwagon fans out, plus the timing sucks on this one.  A post new years bowl is much more conducive to getting the attendance numbers.  

We shall see... I can't wait until it happens. 8-)

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

Hey, the team, Leavitt, coaches, athletic dept. are all taking care of their end of the relationship.  Its the USF alumni and fans that aren't holding up their end.  Pitiful

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

Hate to agree with HBryan but tis true.  What I don't understand is we have had a team for ten years.  That would be 10 graduating classes.  Where the hell are these people ?  What does USF graduate a year 4-5 K or more ?  If even one in ten bought season tickets we should be filling our place up by now.  I don't have the age range of the season ticket holders but it would be interesting to see.  I know in my section most have not graduated in the last ten years.  So I guess I am moving to the conclusion that even with a decade of football the last ten years of USF graduates are pretty sorry.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

It's a sad number, but our fan base is a sad number. An unfortunate fact.

But I still expected more fans to see the potential of this young team and support more in the way of buying tix. It will not change the number of fans in B'ham, but atleast help your university.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  869
  • Days Won:  0

It is all about effective communication.  It is something that the both the Alumni Association and Athletics are working on.  Believe it or not, I still run into people that don't know we have a football program.  Getting the message out is an ongoing thing.  

Case in point, I was at Target in Orange City last night, which is just north of Orlando.  The person was getting into their car with a Bulls FL tag on it and I said "GO BULLS" - the guy just looked at me with a questioned look.  When WE HAVE EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION, the guy will start shouting "GO BULLS" back.

Just a small example.

...  Believe it or not, I still run into people that don't know we have a football program.  

But do you think these people(alums) would be football fans ?

I think not.  :-[

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

well lets remember that most on this board are going-- so we are preaching to the choir in a way.

But I also wish we could light a fire under peoples asses to get them to a bowl game. Can you imagine how tough it would be to get fans to a sit like Boise or San Francisco like Miami and FSU are dealing with?

It must be a culture thing or an overal size of fan base thing. We simply don't have enough people who want to extend the effort to travel. They don't understand (or appreciate) the fun involved with a road excursion. That the game is before Christmas certainly dampens the situation -- maybe more so than we are giving it credit. But if I had a family-- you know what their gift would be? A trip to this freaking bowl game.

Sure hope the city of B'ham picks up the slack by the teams fan base.