• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Record 32 bowls certainly not created equal

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  622
  • Days Won:  0

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/9864841/rss

PapaJohns.com, East Carolina vs. South Florida: South Florida brings its postseason buzz to Birmingham in a game sponsored by pizza.

South Florida freshman sensation Matt Grothe and rising star coach Jim Leavitt deserve better after winning at West Virginia.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

That's a pretty good way to look at it.  We're gunna kill em.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

I have to agree.  After going to Charlotte last year and then having a better year this year the pizza bowl is a little bit of a let down but any bowl is a good bowl.

Somewhere I had read a sports writer really coming down on Trangrese about how bad the BE bowls were this year.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

The bowls were bad because 2 years ago the league was considered dead.  This year the teams are better than the affiliations.  However, traveling fans remain an issue.  Also, the Navy deal with Charlotte bumped everyone after WVU down a notch, otherwise we would be in Texas against K-State and Pitt would be bowling also.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Maybe not, but there are teams with losing records in conference going bowling.  Believe South Carolina is one.  I think that is stupid, but it is the system we have.

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Maybe not, but there are teams with losing records in conference going bowling.  Believe South Carolina is one.  I think that is stupid, but it is the system we have.

No team with a losing record can go to a bowl. 6 wins are a minimum to make it to a bowl. The worst a team can be to get a bowl is either 6-6 (12 game schedule) or 6-5 (11 game schedule).

The Navy deal was the biggest piece of BS in Big East Bowl history. The contract was Big East or Navy, as soon as Navy got 6 wins they were invited. There was no intention of a Big East team ever getting that invitation. In my opinion the Big East deserves some compensation from the MCC Bowl.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

6-6 with a losing reocrd in conference I agree you probably shouldn't be bowling.

However, South Carolina is 7-5 with losses Georgia, Arkansas, Tennessee, Auburn and Florida. That's 4 top 25 teams and one receiving votes. They have a big win at Clemson also.

It also helps that they are bringing 15-20k to the Liberty Bowl.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

outrunner,

The Big East front office has HOSED itself with bowl games. First we let the Champs Sports Bowl in Orlando get away. Then we gave up our best non-BCS Bowl game in the Gator, basically assuring that WVU and Louisville will probably be the only teams ever selected. Then the MCC Bowl deal.

It all stems from support. USF didn't bring enough fans to the MCCB and Pitt wasn't much better in 2003. Further the TV ratings were the 2nd worst of any bowl last year. To the bowl sponsors that a major flag. Navy brings 20,000+ fans and a TV audience. It's business.

The Big East as a whole needs to step up. Birmingham Bowl is nice, but what are the real chances of it lasting? Unless UAB gets bowl eligible in the next two seasons, not well.

The International Bowl? They have had real trouble even selling tickets to that game.

The Texas Bowl? It's a nice game, but has been through 3 different organizations since 2001. I don't trust it.

It's time for Tranghese to step up and get some better games.