• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The dichotomy

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

I am a heartbroken bull that attended last year's bowl game, but more than likely can not this year.  I've given it a lot of thought, but about the only way to do it is to leave the kids at home again this year (since the best roundtrip is $725 per person) and try to get back on Christmas Eve since no flights are late enough game day to return to Phoenix on the 23rd.  Correction, there may be some, like on USAir, but those are up in the $1100-1700 range.  Since most of the flights returning Christmas Eve are connecting in airports up north, I really do not want to take the risk of poor weather and being stranded in Chicago while my kids are with a sitter for Christmas Eve and maybe Christmas.

It got me thinking.  If I can't go, I guess I should buy the two tickets and donate them to a needy student or charity.  Then I really got to thinking about this whole bowl thing and the real dichotomy that exists with the Athletics Department wanting Bulls fans to go and make a good showing with the functions, hotels, restaurants, game etc., in hopes of a better travel reputation and the hope for bigger and better bowls in the future.

The real dilemma is this.  I want to go.  However, the trip will likely cost me at least $3000 when it is all done and there are too many travel/holiday-related risks involved.  So it brings me to this point.  

At what point does it really NOT make sense to go to the bowl?  I know, it sounds like I'm just rationalizing.  But I look at what going to this bowl means to me financially (along with the travel/holiday impact) and I wonder how hard it must be for USF to encourage people to go to the bowl when in cases like mine, they'd (USF) probably be better off with the $3000 donation.  Really...I'd spend $3000 - half of which goes to the pockets of Southwest (at a minimum, or more to USAir) and wouldn't I really be better off just giving that money to USF and watching ESPN2?

That's where I think the flaw exists for me.  

So, for me, and others like me...I think if you can't go for a number of reasons, you probably shouldn't just stop at buying two tickets and donating them.  You might want to think of all the funds you would spend (and all the funds others are spending on airlines, hotels and restaurants and give something more back to the University.  

Yeah, it's been a long day.  But when you think about the economic impact we will bring to Birmingham, it'd be a hell of a lot nicer to bring that impact to our school -  just don't think anyone wants to say that.

I know everyone can not do it, but I hope to back up my mouth with my wallet and convince the wife that an afternoon on the couch and a donation of a grand  to USF is far better than the stress and cost of the pre-holiday travel.

So if you hppen to be in the same boat, please give it some thought.  Maybe buy more than two tickets or send a few extra bucks to the Bulls Club.  

In anyway possible, whether you can make it to B'ham or not, support your Bulls and show your appreciation for the season and the bowl game.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BasketBull.

You can question Bulliever's basketball skills, but you can't ever question his love for USF.

You make me feel proud to be a Bull, Brad!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

thats why bowls really prefer tefoams from their region..or teams that have huge fanbases, national attention for their bowls.

for a family in the tampa area it would cost you about 600 bucks for a family of 4 to spend 2 nights up in b-ham if you are gonna drive.

• Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

No doubt about that, he's a true Bull.  Donate that money to the bookstore so your kids will have more Bulls gear for the new year.  Maybe next year we'll be a little bit closer (Texas Bowl).

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

Buy the number of tickets you would have bought and donate.  USF really needs to purchase as close to the allotment as possible.  Whatever you can do Bulliever, I'm sure is appreciated by all USF fans.

Oh, and I'm sorry that you can't be there  :(

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Brad,

I was in your same shoes, I couldn't get Friday off because I'm out of vaction days for the holidays. I booked my flight to Orlando for the Saturday before Christmas. It's during the bowl game.

I tried changing to a flight to Birmingham and catching a ride from someone down to Tampa to meet my folks in Orlando. The price to change destinations...1200 and that would be getting in at 11ish (i think).

I have decided not to attend the game I know the Bull nation needs it, but it's not feasible especially since I have a wedding I'm helping pay for in August. I did buy one ticket and gave it to a friend of mine who still goes to USF. I believe he's using it.

Another story: I know most won't care what I say next, but my parents are DIE HARD Gator fans and when they got into the title game they lined up plane tickets (400 a piece) and a hotel (130/night 3 night minimum) to Phoenix for the game. One problem, they came short on the priority list for tickets through UF. The street value of tickets right now about $1000 per for nose bleeds.

Right now they are questioning whether it's worth buying 2 tix for 2000+ for just donating that money to the school or better yet to a new "pimped out" TV.

I guess these are decisions everyone has to make when it comes to sports. It's tough, but sometimes you have to look at what's feasible and what's not.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

You are absolutely on target Bulliever!

And I still don't know what dichotomy means, thought this was gonna get moved to the Mad Cow.  ;)

But seriously, another thing to think about is that "I would go if it wasn't so close to Christmas" ... so use that money to upgrade your season tix.

I will send in an extra:

money.jpg

And WILL be upgrading my season tix from 2 to atleast 4 and upgrading to Club Seats.

[highlight]REMEMBER, larger donations can be paid Quarterly![/highlight]

I am proud to be able to attend our First Bowl Game and had a blast!

And Bulliever, think it may have cost you more if we have a poker tourney.  8-)

• Topic Count:  236
  • Content Count:  1,797

Man, my seating buddy not going to the game.  That is a bummer.  I feel for ya, BM.  I hope you, Pam and the boys have a great Christmas.  Look for the Normals in the Bullbackers section old friend, and remember you can sit with us any time you want.

Normal

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

Brad its sad you cant go. I understand where you are coming from. I hope one day I can give half of what you are giving to USF. Bull Nation could use a few more just like you.

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103

No doubt about that, he's a true Bull.  Donate that money to the bookstore so your kids will have more Bulls gear for the new year.  Maybe next year we'll be a little bit closer (Texas Bowl).

thanks Joe, and remember, when you purchase from the bookstore you are also helping out USF as a percent of our sells go towards the school.  and i wish you could be there Brad, but hope you do whats best for you.