• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Miami promotes their DC to HC

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

I agree with the Mike Leach pick.  I think he would have been a great coach for Miami, but to USF's detriment since he is probably a better recruiter than Shannon.  I'm glad they didn't get him but I'm sad that Shannon is still there too because he has so many recruiting connections. I just hope that Shannon can bring in a good OC to complement his strong defensive skills.  One without recruiting savvy, however.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Cuban, i agree Miami has never gone for the "big name" but their intentions this time from the beginning was to get a big name, evidenced by their nation wide search.

They interviewed:

Schiano

Rodriguez

Leach

Mike Stoops

Talked informally to:

Spurrier

Nick Saban

Barry Alvarez

Hired:

Randy Shannon

Which one of those doesn't belong...

I think Shannon has the potential to be a good coach. Is he the quick fix Miami wants? Probably not. However, I personally believe a lot of it came down to money.

Miami was going to have to major $$$$ to get a top flight Div 1 coach from another team or the pro ranks and they were going to have to pay major $$$$$ for facility upgrades.  If Shannon didn't get along with that new coach and left, they would have to lose recruits that were already in the pipeline.  Regardless, I think they were going to have to pay Shannon more money anyway to stay with a new coach.  They've saved considerable $$$$ going this route.  We'll just have to see if they will still be strong and can slowly upgrade facilities over time instead of having huge outlays immediately.  Economically speaking and recruiting wise, I think it was a good move.  I just hope it sends a different message to some recruits and they come to USF.

Shalala talked about doing a major six-month push to raise the cash needed to upgrade the facilities... we'll see if that ever gets off the ground.

They are still fighting with the City of Miami on oft-delayed Orange Bowl renovations.  The City wants UM to pay $40 million of the $120 million renovation project, but UM wants to be a "tenant" and make the City pay for the entire project.  I think I read that renovation won't start until at least 2008 or 2009.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

1. What will the Orange Bowl Redevelopment entail?

The Orange Bowl Redevelopment will enhance the features and amenities of the stadium to create a fan-friendly, multi-use facility that is worthy of serving as the home field for the five-time national champion University of Miami Hurricanes football team and site of other big games and events for many years to come. The initiative that is now underway will create a better experience for all those who attend events at the stadium. It will revitalize the multi-use stadium with state-of-the-art scoreboards and more seating options as well as expanded concessions and restrooms. The redevelopment will also enhance the behind-the-scenes areas for the teams, performers and media who compete and work at the stadium during its events.  

2. Will the stadium be reconfigured?

While the architectural plans for the redevelopment have not yet been drawn, the goal is to maintain the current overall look of the stadium and keep the majority of the structure intact.  

3. When will the work start and when will it end?

The installation of the new light towers and fixtures in August 2006 marked the start of the major Orange Bowl Redevelopment project at the stadium. Additional renovation work will begin in the summer of 2007. Most of the work during the first year will be limited to behind-the-scenes structural improvements. The heaviest renovation work will take place in 2008, and the stadium will be game day ready by the start of the 2009 college football season.

4. Will the renovation work interfere with the college football schedule?  

No. The stadium redevelopment initiative will not affect or interfere with the University of Miami Hurricanes football games to be played at the Orange Bowl while the renovations are taking place. The stadium will be game day ready by the start of the college football season in 2009, and areas of the stadium undergoing renovations may be closed to fans during games of the 2008 season.  

5. Will the work interfere with parking for the games or traffic patterns around the stadium?

There may be some parking areas that are closed to fans while the construction equipment is at the site, but parking for the games and traffic around the stadium will largely go unaffected.  

6. When will renderings of the redevelopment become available?

As the renderings and site plans become available they will posted on the website.  

7. As a Hurricanes season ticket holder, will I be required to move to a new seat location when the renovations are completed?

Because the renovation plans have not yet been completed, it is impossible to determine whether University of Miami football ticketholders in select areas of the stadium will be required to switch seats to a new location. If so, the city and university will work together to ensure that all ticketholders who must switch seats are offered comparable and favorable options.  

8. Will concession and ticket prices go up to help pay for the renovations?

Concession and ticket prices will not play a factor in offsetting the costs of the renovation. The money for the Orange Bowl Redevelopment project is coming from a county bond, local bed-tax revenues, the sale of the Miami Arena, and new advertising and premium seating at the stadium.  

9. Will there be additional parking?

No, there are currently no plans for more parking to be added to the stadium as part of the redevelopment.  

10. Will the redevelopment improve access for the disabled?

Yes, ADA issues will be addressed as part of the redevelopment.  

11. Will the renovations enable the facility to be used for more than football?

Yes, the goal for the project is to enhance the stadium as a multi-use facility that is ideal for a variety of events, including domestic and international soccer matches, concerts and various other types of performances and attractions.  

http://www.ci.miami.fl.us/OrangeBowl/pages/FAQ/

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

So I guess it is only the head coach that takes responsibility for all the problems that have taken place at Miami.  I would have thought they would have gone for a claen seep but looks like no one really wanted the job that bad.  Oh how the "U" has fallen.

• Topic Count:  82
  • Content Count:  1,254

The new OC was the #1 priority in my opinion for the Canes. I think Shannon will make a good coach. That defense is always solid. If they didn't promote him he was probably going to end up at FIU, since his son plays there. Miami will bounce back. You don't keep a program with 5 NC'c down for long. FSU will be back too. Remember, Florida is the best state for football.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

POOR  fellow will fail like coker

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

as will rich rodriguez

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

POOR  fellow will fail like coker

I don't know about that.  It IS true that he was the only person that enjoyed consistent success, even under Coker.  If he can get himself an offensive coordinator kinda like spurrier got himself a defensive coordinator at UF, then you never know.  I'm not holding my breath though.  Hell, I'm not even cheering for him.  Unless he's playing UF or FSU, that is.