• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Here are some interesting numbers...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

I would like to see the actual attendance numbers for the past few seasons, rather than these teasers Brett provides us with.  Seeing the numbers game by game might give us some insight as to which games draw well, which do not, etc.

TSA released USF's "actual" attendance game figures to the media last week, which was mentioned in the following article:

http://www.tbo.com/sports/bulls/MGB6RCGN4VE.html

FEWER FANS THAN 2005: Despite averaging 3,000 fewer fans than last season, USF's 2006 actual average football attendance (24,775) was the third-highest in program history.

USF's game-by-game actual attendance: Pittsburgh (30,054), Rutgers (28,579), UConn (23,779), Syracuse (23,353), Florida International (21,960) and McNeese State (20,930).

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,673
  • Days Won:  29

From Brett's blog:

Since I received some E-mails concerning today’s article about the University of South Florida’s attendance here is the year-by-year average actual football attendance for USF students. Attendance numbers provided by USF.

1997 - 2,661

1998 - 3,979

1999 - 3,145

2000 - 3,227

2001 - 2,871

2002 - 3,659

2003 - 5,852

2004 - 3,560

2005 - 7,527

2006 - 4,773

I’d been interested on your theories why the attendance for students is so low. I’ve never been able to figure it out, especially since tickets are free.

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/comments/where-are-the-students/

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,080

USF's Growth Hasn't Included Attendance

Skip directly to the full story.

By BRETT MCMURPHY The Tampa Tribune

Published: Dec 7, 2006

TAMPA - In 2003, the University of South Florida football team made its debut in Conference USA. Even with a minuscule marketing budget, USF had an average actual attendance of 25,514 and sold nearly 16,000 season tickets.

[highlight]Four seasons later, the Bulls just completed their second year in the Big East and are preparing for a second consecutive bowl. The school's marketing budget has increased by half a million dollars.

However, USF attendance numbers are nearly identical to four seasons ago.

So why hasn't USF's actual attendance mirrored the growth of the program or increased with a substantial larger marketing budget?[/highlight]

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

USF associate AD Tom Veit, who has been the marketing director since 2002, said there are "three" big factors attributed to the Bulls' fluctuating attendance numbers.

"The quality of the product, your schedule and the quality of the scheduling time," Veit said.

Since 2003, the Bulls' quality of product and schedule has improved. The "scheduling time" has hurt attendance because the Bulls have had to move several kickoffs to day starts because of TV and even moved some game dates because of hurricanes.

True: The day games did affect attendance negatively.

False: The rescheduling of the WV game because of a posible hurricane didn't hurt attendance....moving it to the last game of our BE schedule more likeely than not improved the attendance...Did it not in fact set the Bulls attendance record at the RJ?

Sorry Tom, that excuse just doesn't hold water.

This season, USF's average actual attendance was 24,775 - about 800 a game fewer than in 2003. Season tickets in 2006 increased to 17,166, third-most in program history, but that included a program-high 3,143 "non-revenue" season tickets.

.""Everyone gets so impatient and wants us to sell out the stadium tomorrow," Veit said. "We're very susceptible to outside factors

Tom face the facts, your marketing has been a miserable failure...it has not increased season ticket sales.

Sell out the stadium Tom,   hell no, but we'd like to see some improvement annually.  Visiting team fans don't count as far as your numbers go, at least not in my book.

This season, USF averaged 4,773 students a game, nearly 3,000 fewer than last season. Veit believes attendance numbers will rebound next year with a more attractive home schedule featuring UCF, Louisville and West Virginia.

"The best answer is we're seeing improvement," said Veit, who resigned his position last month to take a job with Action Sports Media starting in January. "We just have to keep pushing and continue to grow.

Who do you think you are kiding Tom, that's ******** and you know it.

I wish you well Tom, perhaps you'll do a better job at Action Sports, but I don't imagine you'll be able to pull the wool over there eyes as you have done at USF.

"We're still finding our place [in the market]. The program is growing stronger. We still have a long way to go to build our core fan base."

The program is growing, however your marketing strategyHopefully, we will actually see that improvement rather than excuses after you leave.  Thanks and don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.

http://www.tbo.com/sports/bulls/MGB1FW8LEVE.html

Student numbers are lower than last year?  How is that?  Was the student turnout for the UCF/WVU games last year a big factor?

And does anybody have an explanation for the 3,143 "non-revenue" season tickets?

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  104

There is a  huge difference in attendance figures when you play good teams...expecially rivals at home...Although you guys really dont have a regional rivalry with anyone except UCF..who none of you take very seriously...playing WVA and

UofL should be big...In a city the size of Tampa...enought intrest should be generated to produce a couple of sellouts

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

One look at the schedules from each year makes it clear why the drop.  Win our bowl game and maybe next year our attendance goes up.  After all, right after the WV win there was quite few requests for season tickets for next year.

• Topic Count:  205
  • Content Count:  2,187
  • Days Won:  2

I really am surprised about the lack in student numbers as well. They have the Bull Runner going there and back on Saturday's for students who don't have a car. I think the problem is commuter students don't want to travel up to the stadium from places like Brandon, Riverview, Lakeland, ect ect. I think those numbers are a bit strange. I left for the FIU game real late (almost 6) and there weren't many cars anywhere around campus, especialy the resident parking lots.  I'm not saying all those people went to the game, but I'm sure many did.  I think throughout the week on campus there should be more signs promoting the weekend home games like they do with the basketball games.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  123

Looking at these numbers, you should definitely get out of the UCF game ASAP!

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

Get out of the UCF game ?  Its a "W" every year but does hurt our SOS.  I doubt many UCF fans will be coming to USF next year.  First year they thought they had a chance.  By now they should know better.  a better opponet would be ECU or USM,  they seem to have much better teams.

• Topic Count:  962
  • Content Count:  9,762
  • Days Won:  9

Even though UCF's  chances of beating us next year are at their lowest ever, I expect UCF fans to bring a large crowd to the game.  A large crowd that makes a mess when tailgating yes, but nonetheless a large crowd.