• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I'd rather have Jeff Bowden...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

Than Rod Smith as the offensive coordinator!  

That was absolutely horrible and again very predictable.  Why give up on the run at the get-go (to a team that gave up bunches on the ground against WVa and RU)?  Why did that look like the same script we've had in the last 5 games?  

Louisville was ready for our play calling and USF did nothing to adjust until it was too late.

That out pass on the last series of the first half (that should have been intercepted and returned for a UL TD) was the final straw for me.  

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Shut up!

It's not Rod Smith's fault that the Oline was dominated all day. He tried changing things up to take the defensive rush off (QB draws, run plays, etc.) but they were stopping everything.

Simply put, they were heads over heels a better team.

Blaming this game on Rod Smith and not the fact that we just don't have the players to compete consistently at that level is just using him as a scape goat.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,501
  • Days Won:  43

Rod Smith was never shut out at home unlike Jeff Bowden. Jeff Bowden has had so much talent to work with, yet he still could not get it done. I know some of you dont like Rod Smith, but you should at least be realist when comparing him to Jeff Bowden.

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757

You shut up Joe...

He tried everything?!? Were you even watching the game?  Rod never adjusted his play calling to the blitz...   It was his fault for virtually giving up on the run to a team that has shown vulnerability to it this season.   It is RS's fault that when he finally did call a rushing play he either called Matt Grothe's number or a HB draw (never recommended when the other team is rushing 6+ every down and getting good pressure).  

Louisville only had to pin their ears back and get in the backfield... they did not respect the run game whatsoever and thanks to Rod, they didn't have to.    

I blame the lack of offense in this game on Rod's HORRIBLE playcalling.  It was the same freakin' script from the last 6 games and UL was ready for it.  

How about another "out-pass"?  

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Do I think Smith called a great game?  No.  But penalties (false start inside the 10, a block in the back wiping out a Taurus Johnson big gain), drops (Amarri and Cedric Hill) and 2 missed field goals did not help.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

Shut up!

It's not Rod Smith's fault that the Oline was dominated all day. He tried changing things up to take the defensive rush off (QB draws, run plays, etc.) but they were stopping everything.

Simply put, they were heads over heels a better team.

Blaming this game on Rod Smith and not the fact that we just don't have the players to compete consistently at that level is just using him as a scape goat.

Well put Joe, sometime pointing fingers is better than dealing with reality.  Reality is after 8  straight years, and soon to be 9, in a bowl game, and tons of invested capital that Louisville has taken those opportunities and built a helluva program.  The quality of Da Ville is really amazing and they've been building for this for 9 years not 3 like USF.  Even a great, and I really believe that WVU has the most potent backfield in the game, WVU team couldn't go to PapaJohn's and win.

Victims over the past five years are impressive.  We're building but that is a **** good UL team and even they felt the rigors of road games by losing to an inferior Rutgers team in one of the most hostile environments I've seen in quite sometime.  I swear Tony Soprano had his boys kidnap Brohm at halftime of that game. ;D

Daly, you're dead on.  What Jeff Bowden has done is dismantle a program that was once extremely prolific on offense.  The skill is there, relatively speaking, but the confidence, the playmaking, the opportunies are not.   For a while blaming a QB was vogue, but Rix, and now Weatherford/Lee at some point you've got to shake it off and execute.  Jeff's offense has become a joke, there were glimpses, the start of the third quarter against NCST, but overall Jeff lacked the confidence and ingenuity to continue to go back to the well.  They've achieved the past five years based solely on talent.

For example the end arounds we do, Jeff would have never done that with the regularity and inventiveness...maybe Jeff just needs to be away from daddy, maybe that influence forced the conservative playcalling and vanilla offense.

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

Jeff Bowden's offense reminds me of Mike Shula's offense. Vanilla. I saw enough of that with the Bucs. I'll take fake punts and wide reciever throws on 4th and 1 anyday of the week over Jeff Bowden's offense.

I remember in the UNC game going back and reading the in game chat. One UNC fan said " OMG all USF does is run trick plays.....we're screwed".

That is classic.

• Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  545

I'd rather have fans that knew the game of football but sometimes you just can't get it all.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

Fans don't win games.

Recruiting and coaching wins college games.

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  1,400

Than Rod Smith as the offensive coordinator!  

That was absolutely horrible and again very predictable.  Why give up on the run at the get-go (to a team that gave up bunches on the ground against WVa and RU)?  Why did that look like the same script we've had in the last 5 games?  

Louisville was ready for our play calling and USF did nothing to adjust until it was too late.

That out pass on the last series of the first half (that should have been intercepted and returned for a UL TD) was the final straw for me.  

wow just jump of the bandwagon already