• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

offense is better...oline needs to step up and Ponton needs to HIT THE HOLE!!not pusyfoot up to it...please Ricky hit it like a ball of fire

I'm sure he would if they'd GIVE HIM THE BALL!!!  And for the love of GOD don't call a draw as your running play when the UL defense is rushing 6-8 players every other down!  

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  253

offense is better...oline needs to step up and Ponton needs to HIT THE HOLE!!not pusyfoot up to it...please Ricky hit it like a ball of fire

I'm sure he would if they'd GIVE HIM THE BALL!!!  And for the love of GOD don't call a draw as your running play when the UL defense is rushing 6-8 players every other down!  

I agree 100%

11 carries for 52 yards with a 4.7 average is not bad.  I'm still wondering why we didn't run it more in the first half when our passing game was sputtering.  

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I'm starting to think that it's the offensive line that needs some serious evaluating, not Rod Smith. Mind you, I'm not a fan of Smith's, but our losses this year have all been due to lack of execution. Players have to execute the plays being called by the coaches. I think Rod has earned himself another 1-2 years before Leavitt pulls the plug.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  488

This year, all years, all football starts with the line of scrimmage.

Both sides of the ball.  The few times that we do control we've been pretty good. Problem is we've only done that one complete game in the last two years. Other times it's one or two plays at a time.

I think our skilled guys are better, our linemen, not so good. I think to get past being just an average team, USF has to improve recruiting linemen on both sides of the ball.

GO BULLS!

You've got it right on the money.  I have been voicing this myself here.  The problem is there are not a lot of decent OL and DL to go around.  It seems like the studs are from the midwest, where the Big Ten has the best linemen, especially OL.  But it hard to get those guys.  Most linemen in Florida are smaller and needs a good development program.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,473
  • Days Won:  25

When in Rome...

If that's what it takes to get better linemen, go! That's why they all come here for the speed guys. Schiano, Petrino, and the rest know what they need to compete, that's why there here.

I agree that we have a vast supply of talent at the skill positions, we simply need more bulk and talent on the o-line.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

I think Grothe has done an exceptional job of taking over the leadership of this team.  As a young Freshman he has done ane an incredible job while he was put in a difficult situation of carrying this offense on his shoulders.

We all criticized the offense last year with PJ at the helm.  My question is that since we are now more adept at passing with Matt is this offense better or just different?

My opinion is that we are just different.  We had 3 games where we scored just once.  Two of those games UC and UL were both last minute garbage scores.  Statistically we have scored less points offensively at the same point in the year with the same number of TDs.  

I believe Smith needs to truly be evaluated.  He ain't getting it done at this level.  Not calling for firing him, but he should be in the hot seat.

GROTHE HAS MADE EVERYONE LOOK BETTER

BUT FOR HIM AND BULLS TO EXCELL HE NEEDS

1.BETTER OFFENSIVE LINE

2.BETTER RECEIVERS

3.BETTER RUNNING GAME

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

This year, all years, all football starts with the line of scrimmage.

Both sides of the ball.  The few times that we do control we've been pretty good. Problem is we've only done that one complete game in the last two years. Other times it's one or two plays at a time.

I think our skilled guys are better, our linemen, not so good. I think to get past being just an average team, USF has to improve recruiting linemen on both sides of the ball.

GO BULLS!

You've got it right on the money.  I have been voicing this myself here.  The problem is there are not a lot of decent OL and DL to go around.  It seems like the studs are from the midwest, where the Big Ten has the best linemen, especially OL.  But it hard to get those guys.  Most linemen in Florida are smaller and needs a good development program.

THERE ARE PLENTY OF  OL AND DL IN FLORIDA

ALL THE BEST TEAMS GET THEM

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757

Offensive line is not the issue.  Rod is.  Louisville was blitzing the house and Rod didn't do anything to exploit it.  

How many times did we hand off to Ponton on our first 3 drives?  Anyone?

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Offensive line is not the issue.  Rod is.  Louisville was blitzing the house and Rod didn't do anything to exploit it.  

How many times did we hand off to Ponton on our first 3 drives?  Anyone?

Isn't it entirely possible, Twilly, that even with perfect play calling, our offensive would be ineffective in picking up blind-side blitzes? Seriously, our o-line needs some major help. Certain players at certain positions, OL and DL, didn't execute against the Ville. I don't think Smith is to blame for that. Just my opinion.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  642

I thought Smith had finally started to turn the corner (not to being a good coordinator, mind you, but just to being an adequate one).  But after being at this last game IN PERSON, my mind has been changed.  He's not going to give you an excellent chance to compete in the Big East.  With teams like WVU, Louisville, etc., we need to score BUNCHES of points.  

And, as Dana Carvey would say, with Rod Smith calling the plays.....NAH-GA-DAH-IT.

I was thinking the same thing to myself, "maybe Rod 'retard' smith isn't that bad." Then I watched the Louisville game. BAH!

As one USED to chant (at USF B-ball games) to an opponent after a made free-throw, "YOU- STILL- SUCK!"