• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East Nightmare Scenario

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  125
  • Days Won:  0

If WVU runs the table and finishes third without a shot at the big game, you think Rodriquez stays when there are positions in ACC & Big 10?  I do not agree, the top coaches want the big prize.  Why did Brown leave UNC?  Texas has a better shot at the NC, than UNC.  

But, does a Mich State, NC State, or UNC have a better chance of getting to the NC game than Lousiville or WVU in the BE?  I think that the big guns jump, they have been successful before they think they will again.  

Do the big name coaches make a difference?

By the way, Paterno has to retire, I guarantee the Schiano is a candidate.  PSU will go for the smaller up and coming coach over the star name.  It worked before.  I think PSU is the only job the he would leave RU for.  Just my thoughts.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,639
  • Days Won:  424

Texas has a better shot at the NC, than UNC.

Why? .......... I'm not sure of the answer but I do know it's not because of which conference they're in and isn't that the point of your argument?

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2517825

Look at Petrino's buyout....$1 million, pretty darn large. Additionally, he makes between $1.6 million and $2.6 million over the course of his 10 year deal, with 4 built-in $1 million retention bonuses (the first of which is next year). He has a young, stud QB, a vastly improving defense, and he is now the name and face of that program. He has great recruits and controls that region. If a team wanted to "steal him from Louisville" they would have to pay him at least $2.5-$3 million per year and pay the buyout.....and Petrino would have to want to leave. if the 'Ville can end the season with only one loss, they will be pre-season top-10 next year. I'm not saying he is not ever going to leave (he might one day) I'm just saying it won't be anytime soon.

http://heraldsun.com/sports/18-781642.html

Now look at Rodriguez's buyout.....$2 million, although he resturctured his new deal so that buyout expires in August of 2007. There aren't many teams out there willing to pay the $2 million buyout, meaning Rodriguez will be with WVU throguh at least the 2007 season. He is notoriously underpaid, as he will not earn more than $1 million a season, unless he stay past 2011. You can rest assured however that if he does make the NC game and especially if he wins it, that he will receive a rather large raise as they re-work his deal further. Next season he has White and Slayton back, an improving defense, and he is a God amongst men in Morgantown. While there might have been a chance that he would leave after this season if they lost a game or two, the $2 million buyout makes it highly unlikely, especially for a team like UNC that would most likely have to pay him $1.5 million per year, pay the $2 million buyout, and they still have to pay Bunting $286,000 per year for the next three years (although coaches sometime negotiate off of the amount they are due).

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

If West Virginia doesn't make the national title game, it won't be because of the Big East. It's because West Virginia scheduled nobody out of conference -- you don't impress people by beating Marshall, East Carolina and Maryland.

You can't fault WVU for OOC games that are made up years in advance. The bottom line is that if the BCS takes a 1 loss team over an undefeated WVU, then it will have proven to be a worthless system (which it's fairly close to being as it is).

Take UF as the example of a team that could leapfrog WVU. Beating Southern Miss, UCF, and W. Carolina and a bad FSU team is more impressive than WVU beating Maryland, Mississippi State (road), etc? UF has a few tough conference games as does WVU.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

unc could never be as successful as WV

wv will be in NC game before unc

big east survived and thrived after bc,vt,and canes left so they would survive coaches leaving

Wiser words never left Steve's mouth.

seeing that he typed these words... they didn't leave his mouth either...

so you can possibly leave the "R" off the first word and still be accurate  ;)

I kid!  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,639
  • Days Won:  424

If West Virginia doesn't make the national title game, it won't be because of the Big East. It's because West Virginia scheduled nobody out of conference -- you don't impress people by beating Marshall, East Carolina and Maryland.

You can't fault WVU for OOC games that are made up years in advance. The bottom line is that if the BCS takes a 1 loss team over an undefeated WVU, then it will have proven to be a worthless system (which it's fairly close to being as it is).

Take UF as the example of a team that could leapfrog WVU. Beating Southern Miss, UCF, and W. Carolina and a bad FSU team is more impressive than WVU beating Maryland, Mississippi State (road), etc? UF has a few tough conference games as does WVU.

I think UF could very well jump WVU and I'm not sure I'd have a problem with it. I wouldn't like it but I could see it happening. UF and WVU both had some weak wins but UF would have more "good" wins than WVU when it's all said and done, I believe.

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index.ssf?/base/news-9/1161928257141470.xml&coll=1&thispage=2

Schiano is the most likely of the high profile Big East coaches to bolt. The best possibility is obviously UM, where he was a defensive coordinator. Schiano's buyout is a platry $250,000 this year, dropping to $200,000 over the next three years. A team luring him away would only need to pay him a guarantee of about $1.5 million per year and with his buyout being so small, it is possible that he could be lured away with some big time, big program money. But in the words of Lee Corso....not so fast my friends

http://www.aolsportsblog.com/2006/10/25/schianos-moving-expenses/

Schiano is building a very nice house on a very nice piece of prime New Jersey real estate....that he received in a 'Sopranos" style sale from the University. He has a wife and 4 kids (he must be Catholic) and so if his roots get firmly planted at Rutgers, it may become growingly difficult to pull him away.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

I think UF could very well jump WVU and I'm not sure I'd have a problem with it. I wouldn't like it but I could see it happening. UF and WVU both had some weak wins but UF would have more "good" wins than WVU when it's all said and done, I believe.

their schedules are like night and day

not even close

florida plays a big boy schedule

wv plays a less than average schedule

look at their SOS if you need to see the vast differences

eats it-i can take a little ribbing

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  125
  • Days Won:  0

The whole point is will they stay if they cannot get to the NC game.  I am not in Florida and EVERY sportstalk show I listen to are all saying the same thing:  "WVU & Louisville do not deserve to be there over a 1 loss SEC team, Big 10 team, or Texas."  If that turns out to be true, why would a top coach stay if UNC, NC State, Michigan State, FSU, UM, or even PSU comes calling?

We have several large buy-outs, but most of those schools have very deep pockets.

Schiano won't leave except for Penn State or maybe BC.  Paterno would have to get sick or physically not be able to coach.  The BC coach could move to a bigger school and BC is a NE school that is very competetive in a better conference.

Rodriguez:  I think he bolts if WVU is snubbed. UNC or UM would pay for his buy out.  Does the ACC take partial-qualifiers?  He has made his living on partial-qualifiers and the BE stopped allowing those.

Pertrino:  I think he only goes for UM or FSU (if Bobby calls it quits).

I do not think the buy outs will stop those teams and the coaches will listen if they can't get to the NC game even with a perfect record beating 2 top 10 teams.