• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Can we please ditch the spread offense NOW???

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  79
  • Content Count:  1,260
  • Days Won:  0

There is no way we are going to go anywhere in the future with this pop-gun gimmick offense. In order to win, you must run and stop the run. We need a bruising fullback in the backfield to out muscle opponents. Bring us an I-formation, or even a split back west coast. The point being that a more pro-style offense is the only way we move fwd as a program. The time is now....

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Your right because the Spread has done nothing for WVU...or Texas...or Florida

Where were you when Matt was going crazy in the spread?

• Topic Count:  217
  • Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

The spread can work, but we need to be able to adjust to aggressive (blitzing) defense schemes.  See Rutgers (2nd half) and Cincy.  

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827

The spread can work.........if you can handle it when the other team punches you in the mouth.

We cant.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

repaired

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

I hate the spread.  People overrate it, it's certainly no better than any other offensive scheme, other than maybe the old school wing t or something.

WVU uses a fullback.  Our spread is not comparable to those of UF, UT, or WVU.  WVU is particularly different because they run the ball way more than they pass it.

What I don't understand is why any school uses the spread if the NFL doesn't.  You'd think that whatever works at the highest level is likely to be workable at lower levels.  Not only that, it gives you a recruiting pitch based on them learning how the pro's operate.

Sure, Texas won a NC with the spread.  However, what offensive set did the 5 NC winners before use?  It wasn't the spread.  2001 Miami and 2004 USC had particularly unstoppable offenses.

• Topic Count:  79
  • Content Count:  1,260

Sure matt went nuts using the spread earlier this year and I expect him to do it again. My point though is that these offenses such as the spread, the wing-t, the wishbone....they are all offenses that work when the level of comeptition is low and speed is not a prevailing factor. But if you are going to step up and play higher level competition, the speed makes it impossible at times to run these offenses. There's a reason the wishbone was ditched in pro and ncaa. There's also a reason that you don't see much of these type base offenses in the major BCS conferences.  (whereas a spread formation seems to be almost a standard in the WAC, MAC, etc)

We are in a conference where we are the only southern team. Trips to schools like W.Virginia, Uconn, Rutgers, and Pittsburgh later in the year will see us in less than fair weather conditions to "spread" the ball. Moreover, all of our kids are Florida born and bred and will have enough issues adjusting. Do you think that the spread gives us the best chance to win a game in Morgantown in November? Do you think that we can manufacture rushing yards consistently in that weather with this type of offense? Maybe we can, as a Bulls fan I hope we will....I just can't see how the spread is going to give us the best shot at competing. When the leaves turn brown, you have to be able to pound the rock. And I can't imagine that a running game that requires our QB to constantly run up the gut is the best we can do. We're lucky to have Matt Grothe, he's made it look alot better than it should.

Now do louisville, florida and w.virginia run the spread? Admittedly, Texas did win a national championship and yes, we've had some success with it as well. But I can't shake the notion that these examples are more exceptions rather than the rule. I'm skeptical that this is the offensive scheme that will consistently win us games year after year, and take us to the next level.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

We didn't run the spread last night.  I know it looked like it and I'm not sure what it was, but it wasn't the spread.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

THe Falcons, Patriots, and Colts all use forms of the Spread offense in the NFL. In fact the Falcons use some of the option part too.

The reasons more teams weren't using it 4-5 years ago was because it wasn't popular or well known. It made smaller schools without noteriety able to win. Bowling Green, Louisville, Utah, Miami (OH), and Northwestern habe all been able to field top 25 teams using the offense in the past 5 or 6 years.

Pro style offenses are what I prefer, but to say the spread is a gimmick or not a successful offense is an understatement. In order to run USC's offense as they do you need very good players at each position, it's complicated. The reason Miami had to switch their offensive philosophy was because their current batch of players couldn't grasp Dan Werner's pro style offense, which lead to a lot of turnovers and the most sacks at Miami in years. Point being, pro style offenses at this level require great precision and athletes.

Finally Grothe is best suited for this offense. He has several options which fits his game well. While I am not a huge fan of the spread, there are quite a few forms (WVU's v. Texas's v. Texas Tech's) depending on the philosphy of the team.