• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

please fire rod smith

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  274
  • Days Won:  0

Hey, I got smazz to respond, not once but twice in one day. I'm honored.  Let the games begin!!! [smiley=bluescreen.gif]

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511

9.my practices would be open and would encourage youth coaches to come to practices with kids

10.i would put on clinics for community youth

I like these two ideas.  I think that USF needs to do a better job with connecting with the local area, and build up more fans from people who do not follow us.  Notice I said "better job"; they are obviously connected with the local area, but they could do more.  We need less of a coach starting a media black out because he was not happy with the local press, or whatever was behind his reasoning.  Like it or not, a coach at a major college is a P.R. man, and we need our name out there as much as possible.

I would also add that I would send my coaches to other school's clinics just like JoPa did with his coaches by sending them to Texas.  He sure turned that program around in a hurry.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

9.my practices would be open and would encourage youth coaches to come to practices with kids

10.i would put on clinics for community youth

I like these two ideas.  I think that USF needs to do a better job with connecting with the local area, and build up more fans from people who do not follow us.  Notice I said "better job"; they are obviously connected with the local area, but they could do more.  We need less of a coach starting a media black out because he was not happy with the local press, or whatever was behind his reasoning.  Like it or not, a coach at a major college is a P.R. man, and we need our name out there as much as possible.

I would also add that I would send my coaches to other school's clinics just like JoPa did with his coaches by sending them to Texas.  He sure turned that program around in a hurry.

We need a lot more done on the PR front that's for sure.

Our Offensive Coordinator was at Texas last off season.  He was also at Missouri.  he just needs to learn how to apply what he learns in game situations.  From what i understand, the biggest thing to come from those visits were the new zone blocking schemes we have been using.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Smith needs more than attending clinics to turn into a good OC, he just doesn't have the experience needed to take the leap.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Exactly my point.  I'm not defending Smith, just pointing out that sending him to clinics isn't going to get USF what it needs in an OC.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

Exactly my point.  I'm not defending Smith, just pointing out that sending him to clinics isn't going to get USF what it needs in an OC.

The biggest way coaches find success and climb the ladder is to mentor under other successful coaches then move up.  Along this line of thinking, you'd almost have to peruse through the QB coaches at programs like USC, Cal, Boise (long run of strong QB's), Texas Tech, or whatever until you find a guy that's been under his OC a long time and can run that system/make his own wrinkles in it.  That's the type of guy we can afford...maybe...and the type of guy that should replace Smith.

You don't promote from within if your system was not up to par.  That's a recipe for failure, which our offense has shown nearly every time it couldn't out-talent someone (UL was an oddity.  Their tendency to overpursue most have been a beacon or something!  To get burned on the reverse THAT much is horribe!)

Our guys aren't smaller, weaker, slower, or significantly "less recruiting star" than kansas, cincy, rutgers, and so on.  In fact, we're supposedly ahead of them.  So why do we get beat?  Execution and/or playcalling (mostly execution).  Who is in charge of that on offense?  Smith.  Leavitt should do something about it, and as mentioned shipping a guy to clinics won't show him how champions behave on a daily basis.  It will improve him somewhat, but not enough.  If Smith were a winner, we'd have seen something out of him by now other than subpar QB play and weak offensive performances.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

there are plenty of great young offensive minds that would love to run usf offense for reasonable salary