• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

please fire rod smith

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Content Count:  2,118
  • Days Won:  0

how about this

the next time rod smith drops a pass on 3rd and long HE'S GONE

I'm not talking about that, i mean the bone-head play calling. Backed up against our own goal line and we try and do a handoff. another, having the already banged up quarterback run on 3rd and 19.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  254

Exactly!!!! Why the F are you all blaming Rod SMITH??? Leavitt has the option to veto some of these crazy calls.

Leavitt has only minimal control over actual offensive execution.  This was disappointing indeed.  Season isn't over yet, but before we become a premier program, we HAVE TO BECOME A BETTER ROAD TEAM.

The worst member on our football staff is probably Rod Smith.  However, just like in fantasy football, you don't drop him until you can get something better there.  However, in the real world it also has to be something you can afford.

Dragging somebody up from lower ranks is a risk, and there isn't a ton of big names that would want to be our O coordinator.  It's not as easy as picking up a phone and dialing spurrier to magically become OC.

Exactly!!!! Why the F are you all blaming Rod SMITH??? Leavitt has the option to veto some of these crazy calls.

Leavitt has only minimal control over actual offensive execution.  This was disappointing indeed.  Season isn't over yet, but before we become a premier program, we HAVE TO BECOME A BETTER ROAD TEAM.

The worst member on our football staff is probably Rod Smith.  However, just like in fantasy football, you don't drop him until you can get something better there.  However, in the real world it also has to be something you can afford.

Dragging somebody up from lower ranks is a risk, and there isn't a ton of big names that would want to be our O coordinator.  It's not as easy as picking up a phone and dialing spurrier to magically become OC.

arkansas hired a high school coach to run their offense

\

this isnt astrophysics-  there are thousands of football coaches that could straighten out usf's offensive woes including me

but bulls are inneed of a special teams coach also

cinncinati is a below average team that usf should have beat

Since the great Smazza says that he could straighten out all of the Bulls offensive woes,  we would love to hear it.  Please Steve,  let us all know in your great wisdom how you can solve the offensive troubles with the talent we have today.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

since you asked

1.i would put  our best players on the  field

2.there would be much more teaching of fundamentals

3.i would switch to a more conventional offense in offseason- with fb,rb and TE

a.my passing game would have

more slants, and across the middle patterns.we would work on hitting receivers in stride.

b.rbs and wrs would be better at blocking(i would bring in marcus allen and charles white to teach the rbs)

4.i would teach receivers to run past first down marker on 3rd down

5.i would bring in coaches that could sell(recruit better)

5.i would stress upgrading offensive line(go juco route if need be).my hogs need to be huge,quick and nimble

6. i wouldnt tolerate bonehead penalties.there would be consequences for repeated mistakes.

7. i wouldnt tolerate repeated mental mistakes.there would be consequences for repeated mistakes.

8.i would recruit more talent to usf

9.my practices would be open and would encourage youth coaches to come to practices with kids

10.i would put on clinics for community youth

11.i would be open to any and all suggestions

i hope this addresses your question.

Guest JulmisteForPrez
since you asked

more slants, and across the middle patterns.we would work on hitting receivers in stride.

b.rbs and wrs would be better at blocking(i would bring in marcus allen and charles white to teach the rbs)

5.i would stress upgrading offensive line(go juco route if need be).my hogs need to be huge,quick and nimble

6. i wouldnt tolerate bonehead penalties.there would be consequences for repeated mistakes.

7. i wouldnt tolerate repeated mental mistakes.there would be consequences for repeated mistakes.

9.my practices would be open and would encourage youth coaches to come to practices with kids

Sounds good to me!  Smazza for Head Coach!

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

everything there needs to be done but i dont see us getting marcus allen and charles white as we're not USC.  Im not a fan of the spread but i think it fits our personel at the moment with our great depth at WR and a QB that is a running threat.  I would however have packages that can run a conventional offense to use as a change up.  Kinda like what Florida does where they can run both offenses efficently and can use either when the situation or match ups dictate it.  

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

everything there needs to be done but i dont see us getting marcus allen and charles white as we're not USC.  Im not a fan of the spread but i think it fits our personel at the moment with our great depth at WR and a QB that is a running threat.  I would however have packages that can run a conventional offense to use as a change up.  Kinda like what Florida does where they can run both offenses efficently and can use either when the situation or match ups dictate it.  

agreed, maybe we'll do more of that if we get that FB recruit that might commit.  TEs are always useful though.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  488

since you asked

Okay, these are great, but how a little more objectivity:

1.  Who are these "best" players?  And where would you line them up?

2.  How would you teach these fundamentals?  I'm assuming tackling, tucking in the ball, etc., right?

3.  Okay.  Let's use Miami for example.  They have a fairly conventional offense with all of the above you mentioned.  And they have very talented kids at those positions.  What's wrong with them?  Their OC or HC, right?  Ahh, easy escape route.

4.  Hmmm.  And how would you adjust if the defense played three deep with LBs dropping into middle coverage (first down area), and the d-line was dominating our o-line?

5.  And how many of these players are available?  And wouldn't you think the more solid programs have already laid a foundation for these players?  Or do you really think these kids have no where to go and are waiting for USF to come and recruit them?

6.  What happens if your best players continues to commit those bonehead penalties?  Sit them all down?  Would you let the scrubs play, and moan and groan about it when they lose the game?

7.  Same as #6.

8.  Again, more concrete plans, please.  I would do this too, but I'm a fan, not a coach with many YEARS of experience coaching football.  And many years dealing with the school's budget, personnel, and other resources you nor I have any clue about.

9.  What?

10.  How will this improve our football team?  Besides the image and the image of the school.

11.  If you don't have concrete plans or useful and unique ideas, you are several steps behind a guy like Rod Smith.  C'mon man, wake up and smell the coffee.  I find it very repulsive when a person feels they could do better, but does nothing.  Tell us you hate Rod Smith, Jim Leavitt, or how this team stinks.  But this input is equivalent to what someone would do as a Pop Waner coach.  I mean, I enjoy reading your posts, whether or not they are positive, but this has no value, especially when you are making a case for validity.  If you think you can do better, what are you waiting for?  Look at yourself in the mirror.  You are just like me, and the rest of the posters, when it comes to COLLEGE football.  If you had any experience or a clue about coaching COLLEGE football, you would not be sitting there outlining what you would do.  

good questions

and all are answerable

wow-this will take sometime i will get back too you but the short answer is TALENT.the more and better you have,the better your team will be.

here is akey issu.always play best players even if they are underclassmen.keeps everyone on toes.this isnt done that often but more and more programs are doing it.

miami needs a new head coach and OC to whip thattalent into shape.they havent really done a good job recruiting qb position either.

i hate to say it but usc is probably best example of a  perfect program last 5 years.a great model to use for

a.buidling aprogram

2.building a great program

3.sustaining it

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  274

I have heard sportscasters say that the shortening of the game by as much as 15 plays affects the teams that are pass oriented and favors the teams that are run oriented. Urban meyer is one who is complaining and that he believes that is what cost him the

auburn game. Under present rule, if a passing oriented team is 7-10 points behind in the 4th qtr, it is virtually impossible to get back in the game.  Can anybody comment on that?

passing team takes less time to move the ball so new rules shouldnt hurt them as much as a running team

i would think it would be harder for a running team to come from behind