• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

whaaaa whaaa the poor SEC...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  236
  • Content Count:  1,797
  • Days Won:  0

There is a TV show, I think on the WB, called 'Cheaters.'  It's about people that cheat on their spouse/girlfriend/boyfriend whatever.  When I first saw the listing for this show, I thought it was the SEC football highlight show.  I thought, wow, I can watch SEC highlights in Normal, IL on a Friday night.....WRONG!  But it would be a great name for the SEC Game of the Week.   ;)

I have zero respect for the SEC.  It has a cred rating so low in my world view that I could care less.  But that is why I don't understand why these goofy HS kids don't get that coming to USF you have the easiest path to the national championship of all the Florida colleges.  Maybe they will start to see the light when WV or Louisville play in it this year.

Normal

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

They shouldn't whine, or else they should split up and throw in a couple Troys and ECU's that would LOVE their opportunity.

I'm all for a playoff system, but I think the SEC is overrated because of its names.  Cincy just played UL tough.  That was a surprise.  Vandy beats UGA, and its "the SEC is so tough".  Can it.  Quit ********, shut up, and play.  It's not like other teams from other conferences havent been screwed out of a chance thanks to the system, yet nobody cries like the SEC.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Eventually the SEC having so many good programs will kill some of the top teams.  I like that florida is in it.  It'll keep them from looking invinsilbe.  We are going to be sharing the same recruit pool with them in a few years.

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293

90% of recruits care about one thing and it has nothing to do with national titles, conferences, etc....it has to do with who will give them the best chance to get into the NFL.

sure when they get to that school they want to win the title but no blue chip recruit is sitting at home saying ok id rather go to USF because they have the easiest route to the title.  they are saying geez,,every year there are 4 first round picks out of miami, 3 from fsu, 2 from florida.  and a total of about 10 guys taken from each school EVERY YEAR...usf is glad when we get 1 guy drafted.  until we are putting 4 or 5 guys in the nfl every year we wont be able to compete on a recruiting level with those schools.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

90% of recruits care about one thing and it has nothing to do with national titles, conferences, etc....it has to do with who will give them the best chance to get into the NFL.

sure when they get to that school they want to win the title but no blue chip recruit is sitting at home saying ok id rather go to USF because they have the easiest route to the title.  they are saying geez,,every year there are 4 first round picks out of miami, 3 from fsu, 2 from florida.  and a total of about 10 guys taken from each school EVERY YEAR...usf is glad when we get 1 guy drafted.  until we are putting 4 or 5 guys in the nfl every year we wont be able to compete on a recruiting level with those schools.

not disagreeing with you about the kids' thought processes, but the reason we dont have guys going to the NFL more is because we dont have as many guys that are NFL quality talent.  if those recruits came here they would go to the NFL just as easily IMO.  oh well.  

oh, and FSU had 5 first round picks from their defense (2 left early, cromartie didnt play the year before due to injury).  i understand you were just estimating, though =)

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293

well ALL big recruits THINK they are NFL talent so they look at it more as the school that can get them there

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

well ALL big recruits THINK they are NFL talent so they look at it more as the school that can get them there

Yup and this is the reason why reputation matters in recruiting.  The UM's , FSU,s, and UF's of the world can point to numerous players that they have sent to the NFL and also the all pro's and top players they have their now.  If your a young kid who thinks he can get to the show whats more impressive a coach telling you he can make you into a Ray Lewis, a Derrick Brooks, a Mike Peterson, or a Kawika Mitchell?  I would like the pitch more where i become a all pro or a pro bowl calibur linkebacker then the one where im merely just a good linebacker and not an elite one.  All three of those programs are NFL player factories and that reputation will bring the top flight recruits who want to play in big national games so they can make a name for themselves.  Since these programs are already at elite status we cant compare ourselves to them because we arent even close to getting there yet.  For them to continue to have success all they have to do is tweak the coaching staffs because the talent is already there.  We arent in that situation our koolaid is a different flavor if you will.  We have to win and do it often and for a extended period of time, with the consistant success we will gain media attention, get some national games, have recruits thinking i can get almost as much national attention and maybe even play earlier if i go to USF instead of one of the big 3.  Thats going to have to be our formula because you cant catch programs like those over night and expect to compete with them every year.  

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

I understand that's what recruits think, but I still say they probably shouldn't because I think NFL scouts are good enough (not that they are pefect by any means) to see that a guy is an NFL prospect even if he's not on the best team with tradition and more national TV games.  NFL teams try to pick on talent, and if you have talent you'll make it to the NFL.  There is some argument that better coaches will make you better, but I'm not sure this is a big factor.  QBs would be more effected by that I would think.

It's a snowball effect in reality, where you slowly gain confidence with kids that their chances are just as good at this school they had not previously heard of.  But still, if we got all 4-star and higher recruits next year and they were all good enough for the NFL, I doubt that being at our school would hold them back.  I think that holds true for the individuals on the team that are likely NFL talent (Nicolas at least).  

I know Miami in particular with their new name of "The U" claim to be a better place to go because they've had more NFL players come out of there than most schools, but that to me is all the past and it's more based on individual talent rather than which school you go to.

Jay Cutler didn't do too bad going to Vandy.  1 pick behind Leinart.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  385

cmon guys the SEC is the toughest conference hands down...but that being said, it is overrated.

Florida's mistakes (Wilbur's fumble) and BS biased refs are the reason Florida lost. UF is the only premier team in the SEC this year, but there are so many fringe top 10 teams that it makes an undefeated season seem impossible.