• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Anyone else sick of all the penalties?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

The list shows no correlation between wins and losses that I can see.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  163

exactly-- penalties just sort of happen-- cost of doing bidness imo

worrying about them too much isn't going to prevent them and I have yet to see coaching be the key factor either. You put alot of young guys on the field and you'll see some dumb mistakes. Sometimes I feel we get called for some pretty ticky tack BS out there-- but what can you do about it? Yell at the players alot-- will that help?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,748
  • Content Count:  37,651
  • Days Won:  29

Our most penalized game and we win ... it's like when you turn the ball over mor than you should and still win.

We are an aggressive team and that accounts for some, especially the personal fouls ...

Hope to get them corrected along with all the other things.

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

alot of penalties is a sign of a poorly coached team

and a team that doesnt respect it's coaches

anyone that has followed usf football know that penalties have killed many usf drives and extended many opponents drives

you cannot have a successful program with  the amount and type of penalties usf is flagged for

Our most penalized game and we win ... it's like when you turn the ball over mor than you should and still win.

We are an aggressive team and that accounts for some, especially the personal fouls ...

Hope to get them corrected along with all the other things.

Go BULLS !!!

poor excuses for an undisciplined team

two recent examples:

rutgers game getting a personal foul on first play of rutgers series is plain stupid

uconn game- offsides on kickoff is equally stupid

when you are involved in a lot of close games the team that is more disciplined  has a better chance to succeed

• Topic Count:  217
  • Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

I have yet to see coaching be the key factor either.

On the contrary, coaching has everything to do with penalties.

You put alot of young guys on the field and you'll see some dumb mistakes.

The problem is its not just the young guys making the mistakes.  The 15 yard personal foul penalties are the ones that really frost my a$$.  

but what can you do about it? Yell at the players alot-- will that help?

I don't know.  Maybe we should ask the coaches of the teams that commit less than half the penalties we do.

This is not a one game gripe.  This has been the trend for years.  Why you defend it I don't understand.  We don't have the talent of the G@tors to play through that many mistakes.

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  132
  • Days Won:  0

Thanks to Cow, I can save some typing because I agree 100%. The lack of discipline (agressiveness is just an excuse) is a sign of an out of control team. Good teams overcome, USF not a good enough team and that is why they play a lot of close games and lose to teams they should be able to beat.

The problem is its not just the young guys making the mistakes.  The 15 yard personal foul penalties are the ones that really frost my a$$.  

I don't know.  Maybe we should ask the coaches of the teams that commit less than half the penalties we do.

This is not a one game gripe.  This has been the trend for years.  Why you defend it I don't understand.  We don't have the talent of the G@tors to play through that many mistakes.

the problem with penalties,team discipline and lack of respect for coaches has been here from day one

how many times have you seen a college player scream at his coach on the sidelines????

Thanks to Cow, I can save some typing because I agree 100%. The lack of discipline (agressiveness is just an excuse) is a sign of an out of control team. Good teams overcome, USF not a good enough team and that is why they play a lot of close games and lose to teams they should be able to beat.

you dont see this nonsense on a pete carroll coached team

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  163

I in no way am defending the penalty situation. Do you honestly believe the coaches aren't on the ass of players getting penalties?

My point is simply this-- it happens. Maybe it is more than other teams consistently since day 1--- ok-- I'll admit it has always been a problem. Yelling doesn't solve it. And on the same hand -- how critical has it been to every game that we've played? Sure-- some have hurt us badly. But I challenge you to find any real correlation between the number of penalties in a game and the end result of winning or losing.

Be my guest and complain all you want about penalties. It will get you nowhere. We won by 22 points -- who cares if we had 1000 yards in penalties? It's not important to the bottom line which to me is winning the ball game. A 22 point win and fans who like to complain have to find something to complain about. WHat would happen if we won by 22 and we avoided alot of penalties? Would you ***** about the cost of the beer or the lack of USF college atmosphere in RJS?

I've come to one simple conclusion-- people just like to *****. Defend your ******** all you want with "well this situation is going to hurt us in closer games" yada yada yada--  it falls on deaf ears. Would it kill us when we win a game with relative ease to simply be happy about it? ahh-- don't bother answering that