• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Trib: Last Year's UConn Loss Fresh On Bulls' Minds

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,473
  • Days Won:  13

Last Year's UConn Loss Fresh On Bulls' Minds

By BRETT McMURPHY The Tampa Tribune

TAMPA - Without question, last year's 15-10 loss at Connecticut was the most devastating defeat in the University of South Florida's 10-year football history.

"I don't think I have to [bring it up]," USF coach Jim Leavitt said. "These guys, they know UConn beat us last year. They don't have to be reminded."

Needing a win at UConn to set up a showdown the following week with West Virginia for the Big East title and BCS bowl bid, the Bulls committed five turnovers, allowed a 90-yard kickoff return for a touchdown, had a 75-yard TD pass nullified by a penalty and failed to score on five second-half possessions in UConn territory, including a first-and-goal from the 8.

And in the first-and-goal failure, USF false-started on third down from UConn's 1 and two plays later ran the ill-fated "Voodoo 5."

From UConn's 6, quarterback Pat Julmiste (wearing No. 3) pitched to running back Andre Hall (No. 2), who ran left and pitched on a reverse to wide receiver Courtney Denson (No. 1). USF's 3-2-1 countdown fizzled as Denson was tackled for a 13-yard loss.

"That loss was really devastating," USF junior linebacker Ben Moffitt said. "It was just frustration. I was losing my mind after that game. Defensively we held them to a touchdown. They had that kick return for a score, but it was like, 'How did we lose that game?' It hurt.

"I want to win this game very badly."

Read More...

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Ya know...watching that game again today, Voodoo 5 was a microcosm of the game.  We beat ouselves all **** day long.  Like Penn State, a couple of big gains allowed by the defense hurt and add to that a disjointed offense, it just made the whole game look bad.

It would have been hard to play much worse for 60 minutes.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

yea that play is a bad memory for everyone.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

that article about sums it up...

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Didn't they have a 3rd and nine on the first drive and busted one up the gut for 70 yards or so for a TD?  I somewhat remember that.  I had a few beers at Capogna's that day, so I could be mistaken.

Didn't they have a 3rd and nine on the first drive and busted one up the gut for 70 yards or so for a TD?  I somewhat remember that.  I had a few beers at Capogna's that day, so I could be mistaken.

A 60 yard TD run you are referring to.

Add the safety.

Add a 90 yard kickoff return.

UConn: 15 points. Bulls 10.

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  1,066

Don't forget about a stupid penalty that cost us a touchdown if my memory serves me correct....

This is still plaguing us this year....

Don't forget about a stupid penalty that cost us a touchdown if my memory serves me correct...

Right you are sir..

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

The whole game was frustrating.  Even the coaching decisions led to the loss.  All we had to do was kick the field goal instead of going for it on the down with voodoo 5.  Our D was playing great after the lou Allen run on thew first series.  We hold them (which we did) and we are playing for a filed goal to win with about 3 minutes left.   Everything about that game sucked.  Including freezing our asses off in 15 degree weather.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

yea that play is a bad memory for everyone.

The quick snap play one play prior to Voodoo 5, where we rushed to the line and were flagged for a false start, was much worse. We had the best RB in the league and a very solid OL, so there was no reason to try and  be cute with so much on the line.