• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

No Midnight Mania?!?!?!? WTF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

This event should not cost that much money or does it??? I think the students can still have a Midnight Madness party without the SG's help. I know the Sheriff would be camping out in his tent if he was still a USF student. I am sure that we can find some students that wont let this die this season.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Stupid.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  3
  • Days Won:  0

Midnight Madness is a time honored tradition that celebrates the start of the basketball season. An opportunity for the players to loosen their shackles and showcase their skills free form. A free form that is not limited by the coaches plays or the roles that they must succumb to in order to get playing time. When you take this opportunity from the athletes, you chip away at the very thing that ignites their love of the game, FUN. These Athletes run countless numbers of suicides in preparation for their season, they spend hours conditioning and fine tuning their bodies for competition. They sacrifice having a normal college experience because the majority of their time is spent in the gym and when they are not in the gym they are in study hall in an attempt to maintain the GPA required to be a member of the team. Mindnight Madness/Mania is a reprieve for the Athletes, taking it away is a punishment. I wonder how many other schools that are in the BIG EAST are not having Midnight Madness/Mania? We need to really start celebrating our student/athletes and stop making them fall victim to the ineptness of poorly run programs. CBS contracted with the NCAA through 2012 a sum of 550 million per year just for Men's Basketball. Breaking off a little piece of that for a couple of hours of enjoyment for these student athletes seems a very small price to pay. Student/athletes are the revenue producers for this University. Seems to me they are not getting an even share of the pie.        

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

There seems to be a lot of ambiguity as to the "factors" involved in this. You students need to get some official answers and report back ......

• Topic Count:  171
  • Content Count:  996

I am upset as well.  Just some insight...one of the main reasons they cancelled it is because that is the same weekend as the UNC game.  One of basketballs biggest supporters as far as students go is SBC.  Their reasoning is, tops we had like 4000 at Midnight Mania, and the way they figure, most of those will be at UNC as well as half of Athletics themselves.  They are probably worried that absolutely no one will go because not a lot of people make it to the games anyways.  Not an excuse, I think it is important, I just wanted to give more info.

I know most of SBC, the BeefStuds, and Student Government will be at UNC.  FlSportsFans83, wont you be in North Carolina??

Maybe the failure has been long going..

Take your pick:

-THe Team for losing

-CRM for his team losing and injury

-Athletics for not making water out of wine and generating support for a team that only won 2    games last year

-The sundolls for allowing Crystal to graduate, she used to be the best part of the basketball show for most of my male counterparts

-The fans for going to UNC over Midnight Mania

-The food vendors for stale nachos

All of these mean NO attendance....

I mean really, who knows...

Guest Sprtsfn627
I am upset as well.  Just some insight...one of the main reasons they cancelled it is because that is the same weekend as the UNC game.  One of basketballs biggest supporters as far as students go is SBC.  Their reasoning is, tops we had like 4000 at Midnight Mania, and the way they figure, most of those will be at UNC as well as half of Athletics themselves.  They are probably worried that absolutely no one will go because not a lot of people make it to the games anyways.  Not an excuse, I think it is important, I just wanted to give more info.

I know most of SBC, the BeefStuds, and Student Government will be at UNC.  FlSportsFans83, wont you be in North Carolina??

So why not hold Midnight Mania another time?  Maybe the Friday after the UNC game?  It's a matter of getting the respect due to our student-athletes, the preseason pep rally.  To not hold it at all is yet another disturbing development in USF basketball.  I have no idea who is to blame...but this has to be fixed.  Basketball seems to be more de-emphasized at USF by the DAY.

• Topic Count:  171
  • Content Count:  996

Please do not misunderstand...I am on your side, i have not missed a Midnight Mania since I came here and even helped emcee it with Brandon 2 years ago.  I have only missed two games in three years for basketball as well, including womens.  I was only bringing up the other side of the argument, NOT MY PERSONAL OPINION.  I looked into it as well and this is what I was told...minus the sarcastic who is to blame at the end.  I added that for flavor....

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

ya I will be at UNC. This is a tradition and just because 100 or so die hearts may miss it is no reason to kill it.

• Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,532

It was NOT SG who cancelled the event.  

IT WAS THE CAMPUS ACTIVITIES BOARD (CAB) THAT CANCELLED THE EVENT.

Although, I know everyone would love to blame SG like they always do, but it was still student run!  SG turned it over to CAB because they are the student's event planners.  Why duplicate event planning when you have an office thats deals in nothing but that?  

I was just told from members of CAB that it was dropped due to poor attendance and a lack of coordination... along with a host of other issues.  I would still like to see the event... but the people you would need to talk with is CAB.

CONTACT PAGE: http://ctr.usf.edu/cab/contact.asp

Stop sending things to SG... you know we have enough issues  ;)

We are aware of the problem and will take action... extra e-mails are unneccessary.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  709

This event was cancelled at UCF as well.  The reason they gave was the Pitt football game that evening.

Why the heck would anyone cancel it in the first place?  Even if you can't market it for whatever reason, at least keep it going.  It would be better to have little attendance than cancel the thing all together.