• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  618
  • Days Won:  0

I was reading a post about getting our three idiots back next week versus UNC, and most importantly Ricky Ponton. It got me thinking about what is/has been going through his head during all this and whether or not he's going to be fired up to contribute and prove his worth or pissed about being suspended for so long and be flat the rest of the season?? What do you guys think?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  698

I think he will be running with something to prove. He wants to show everyone what the team has been missing. I don’t think he will be flat, just because he has already lost so much, its make up time. He is going to make people from here on out wish that he was still out, he might be looking for people to run over….I have had to sit out games due to disciplinary reasons, and when you come back you want to make it count and prove yourself. Being out gets you more fired up. This wasn’t for football, but still think it applies for sports of high intensity.

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Bull****.  Ponton could give two craps about being suspended. If you've seen his body language on the sidelines (and I have, I've watched him very closely), he's shown zero remorse about his suspension, at least publicly.  I could be wrong or misinterpreting him, but he doesn't really seem to care all that much.

Josh Julmiste, on the other hand... I think he's going to be fired up.  He knows that his being in the games we've lost could have been the difference. He was visibly angry with himself after the Rutgers loss.  I think the message hit home with him.

Chambers, I haven't seen so I won't make a judgement call on.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,749
  • Content Count:  37,660
  • Days Won:  29

I think he will have 100 Plus yards rushing.

And I think he didn't talk to reporters as Julmiste did.

And hear good / bad things ... I trust in the team leaders.

It's water under the bridge as far as I am concerned after this week. I will be cheering on ALL 3 at UNC !

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Absolutely.  What's done is done, and I hope they've learned from their punishment.

I'll be supporting #5 as loudly as any of the others come game time.  Ponton's a good kid who made a bad decision.  It's in the past, let's move on.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  698

Bull****.  Ponton could give two craps about being suspended. If you've seen his body language on the sidelines (and I have, I've watched him very closely), he's shown zero remorse about his suspension, at least publicly.  I could be wrong or misinterpreting him, but he doesn't really seem to care all that much.

Don't think its a matter of being remorseful, its a matter of he has to go out there and prove something...I think either way you look at it he is going to come out there and perform. If he is pissed off at the school/team for suspending him for that long, then he is going to go out and run all over people because he wants to show everyone what they missed out on that past 6 games. I think he will be less of a factor if he is pissed off at himself, but still will want to go out there and make it up to his team.

Guest R_to_the_izzo

I haven't seen ponton or julmiste, but Jacky is the one who hasn't shown to much regret. He's got his Ipod on and is jamming out the entire game.

I have heard however both ponton ad josh are already working with the 1st team. So CJL won't hold them in the dog house any longer than the suspension will.

• Topic Count:  1,037
  • Content Count:  7,521
  • Days Won:  10

It's too bad that, instead of suspension, those who still have redshirts available (like J. Julmiste)could use them.  Having to sit out the whole year would certainly be 'punishment', but would still have the incentive of having an extra year of eligibility if they stay out of trouble.

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757

It's too bad that, instead of suspension, those who still have redshirts available (like J. Julmiste)could use them.  Having to sit out the whole year would certainly be 'punishment', but would still have the incentive of having an extra year of eligibility if they stay out of trouble.

Unfortunately, if they redshirted this year, they'd have to sit out the first 6 games of next year.  At least that's how I read the rules.  

---------------------------

I think all three are feeling the effects of an unneccesarily long suspension.  The NCAA encouraged USF to drop the penalty from now on for the same offense.  This is because studies show that the long suspension is more apt to result in a re-lapse of bad behaviour.  These kids screwed up, but keeping them from their main focus in life for 1/2 of the season is very depressing and has an overall negative effect on the kid.  Hell an NFL player only got a measily 5-game suspension last weekend for ASSAULT!  (and that's only 1/3 of his season).  Had that happened anywhere else with anyone else and he'd be in jail.    

I won't judge these kids on how they're coping with the suspension until after they come out and play next week.  I wouldn't expect any less than 100% from each of them.  Only time will tell how these kids handle the adversity and if they have "learned their lessons".      

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,330
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

How could you know that or tell by watching him?  He's not going to mope up and down the sidelines. I am sure he has given a lot of thought (even if only selfishly) to missing half a season...that's severe.

I'm a little mixed about this.  I hope he comes back and is a world-beater.  One more infraction - he's gone.  But when he returns, he returns to help this team win.  His teammates need him.

Remorse period has passed - earning his keep period is about to begin.