• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I think we'll have Week Night Games in 2007

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,528
  • Days Won:  0

If they are road games, then that is fine.

I agree completely. Hard to get into game mode when you have to work all day and can't get to the stadium in time to tailgate for anything worthwhile. I have as much fun at the pregame as I do at the game.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  130

If I'm not mistaken, historically we have had lower attendance when home games are not played on Saturday night.   I saw many empty seats at the Rutgers game on Friday night which I have never seen vacant at a Saturday night game.   While I don't have a problem making it out to the RJ at other times it's quite obvious that many people do.

I hope if we do have to play any weeknight games for TV that they are road games.

Why in the world would the BE agree to play Sunday games?  

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

$,

Just to note schools can still play Friday if ESPN asks them and they approve. That being said I think the Big East will stay away from Fridays and stick to Thursday and Saturday games mostly

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

I am not trying to sound holier then thou but most of the time(not all) mid-week games go to non-BCS conferences.  We had alot during our C-USA days and seems to be the same now.  I would guess that the UCF game might be a candidate for a mid-week game but that is about all.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

dabull what are you talking about? The Big East and ACC have been playing Thursday night games for years.

The rest of the Thursdays throughoput the season feature ONLY those teams...

Florida State v. NC State

Va Tech v. BC

North Carolina v. Virginia

WVU v. Louisville

Louisville v. Rutgers

WVU v. Pittsburgh

BC v. Miami

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

Thats what I said Joe, not all.  Recent years have had one game Thrusday night that is good but the vast majority of the week night games have been C-USA,Mac & WAC.  This has only happened in recent years.  TV/ESPN has been the driving force for these games giving money to the teams but the bigger conferences shy away from these games but TV has put it in their contract forcing them to play.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

It's tougher traveling during the week for many ...  ;)

That's the trade-off most non-traditional Top 20 teams have to do to increase their national exposure.

Va Tech used Thursday Night Football (they hold the record for MOST Thursday Night ESPN Games in history..believe they've hosted 16-17 plus ESPN Thursday Night games!) over the past 10-12 years to help increase the exposure of their program.

Louisville...over the past 5-6 years have used Week Night (believe they've played football on every day of the week except Mondays on ESPN) games to their advantage as well (especially while in CUSA).

With almost 25-30 plus games on TV every Saturday, teams know they can grab a bigger piece of the piece if they play on a week night when there aren't any other Football games going on.

Yes, week night games (especially Tue-Thur) does hurt some home attendance (from those out-of-town) and basically KILLS any road attendance (unless you are a large SEC Team like Auburn that brought over 7,000 fans last Thursday to Columbia, SC).

Those are the sacrifices teams have to make in order to get National exposure.

KL

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

dabull what are you talking about? The Big East and ACC have been playing Thursday night games for years.

The rest of the Thursdays throughoput the season feature ONLY those teams...

Florida State v. NC State

Va Tech v. BC

North Carolina v. Virginia

WVU v. Louisville

Louisville v. Rutgers

WVU v. Pittsburgh

BC v. Miami

Other SEC Games played on Thursday Night ESPN this year:

USC at Mississippi State

Last week: Auburn at South Carolina.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,749
  • Content Count:  37,660
  • Days Won:  29

I remember that classic game on Thursday back in the day, when FSU lost to Virginia (when the Barbers were here) ... Tiki ran the ball in with like no time left.

Great ending !

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,420
  • Days Won:  43

SplitT,

The BIG EAST agreed to only play 4 Sunday games per year. Louisville vs Kentucky is already a Sunday game that the BIG EAST will use that is played on Labor Day weekend. So, the reality is that will leave only 3 more games left to play on Sundays. ESPN lost the Sunday night NFL to NBC, so they are going to use college football to help compete for viewers. USF is playing Cincy on Sunday which is fine with me. I prefer Sunday games over Tuesday games anyday. We at least have the whole day to get ready for the game instead of trying to rush out of work during the week night games. I kind of got bored of watching the NFL anyway because it has become nothing but a side show these past few years.